Canine UTI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

Sadie had a UTI (urinary tract infection--for the men on the list;) I didn't know she had one till she peed on the carpet and there was some blood. ( I posted, back when it happened.. just had a chance to look around and saw it wasn't there, must not have worked or something. ) Anyway just wanted to put it here, symptoms are straining, NEED TO GO NOW... etc.. which she is like that anyway, so nothing seemed off about her.. except for the blood, and maybe drinking a bit more, and peeing a bit more.. She was put on meds, and has almost finished them. Seems to be doing fine. No more blood anyway. The only thing that comes to mind, in how she got a UTI is possibly the pool water wasn't changed enough, and on some hotter days, she would lay down in it. The other possibility is she might have kidney stones. After the meds are finished, I am going to take her back to the vet's for a urine sample, and see. The vet said he couldn't feel any, but that often times they can be too small to feel, and still cause a problem. I want to get her spayed (NOW) but we need to sort this out first. She did have a terrible diet prior to coming to live with us, so it's possible. The vet showed me some kidney stones he took out of a Pekinese dog. (small toy breed) they were HUGE.. think like a pebble at the beach, or a marble.. then he hit with me the punch line, and showed me some EVEN Bigger.. So I want her checked out (probably going to be dirty pool water.. My kids use the pool... and so does she.. Now I've been soaping it up and cleaning it out once every other day.. Trying to keep the kids in one pool and the dogs in another.. would be like telling my almost 4 year old.. he is not a dog, when he is in dog play mode.. (he's very convincing with the kicking the side of his ear..with his foot..) Heather
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#2 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Heather @ Aug 3 2007, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to get her spayed (NOW) but we need to sort this out first.

Do you use diapers when she is in season?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#3 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

No I haven't had to. She doesn't have much blood during her season. We just kept her confined to the yard, and walked her late at night so there wasn't any chance of seeing another dog, and having her pull me off my feet in excitement or apprehension..
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."

#4 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

I'm glad she is feeling better. Poor thing.
Those kind of infections are miserable. Let us know how the follow up visit goes.
<crossing our dew claws>

Thanks for the heads up on the pool water! Ours is small and we usually fill it up sat & sun dumping it each night. I was worried about skeeters. Never thought about URI. Makes a lot of sense though.

Oh you simply MUST get video off the ear scratching!
We can put it in an album with ian's .....hmmm. is it his neice?
Little blond playing a teacher she named Mrs Fussbudget ..... or something like that.
The video was a scream!
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#5 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

I will try to get a video of him doing his ear scratching, over the weekend. It's really cute. He loves wearing the dog jammies also.. and it's so funny.. when he gets into Dog mode.. hilarious.. he even sits for a treat sometimes.. and rolls in the grass.. and eats food off the ground, floor , like the dogs do.. kid is really into his playacting, he get's really detailed about it. At playgroup, all the mom's thought he was a scream. He put on the lion costume, and was meowing silently. And roaring silently .. for some reason.. he wanted to do it quietly.. he's usually quite loud. He's quite the comic thespian.. I might have to get him into acting.. haahah.

Your very welcome about the UTI /pool water tip.. I'm hoping she is fine. kidney wise. We've already got to spay her, take a growth off her leg.. now possible kidney.. OY.. haven't had the dog a year.. but we knew this was a possibility, when we got her.. So it's not a complete shock.. yes keep the dewclaws crossed.. I'm hoping these little things will be small fixes, and then.. all will be well for the rest of her days.. I HOPE. Kids, hubby & I love her dearly. Thanks Heather smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users