• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:21 AM

I've noticed that shadow has started to favor his back left leg. Does anyone know of anything that i can look for to see if this is a serious problem that i shoudl take him to a vet or just let it go and heal itself?

He is pretty much laying down all the time, and takes awhile to get him up, and I mean awhile, like 3 to 4 minutes for him to stand, and as he walks to can see he limps because of the leg. Please help.

Thanks

#2 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

Hi Jonathan...

How old is Shadow? By the picture he looks quite young.
Maybe he has been playing a bit too rough and hurt it? Is there a history of hip problems in his family? Might be worth seeking your vets advice if you're at all unsure.
Carolyne

#3 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (Jonathan @ Aug 1 2007, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed that shadow has started to favor his back left leg. Does anyone know of anything that i can look for to see if this is a serious problem that i shoudl take him to a vet or just let it go and heal itself?

He is pretty much laying down all the time, and takes awhile to get him up, and I mean awhile, like 3 to 4 minutes for him to stand, and as he walks to can see he limps because of the leg. Please help.

Thanks

You should take him to the vet without delay if you're concerned. We can't diagnose anything with certainty over the internet, we'd just be making an informed guess.

Don't worry, it's probably nothing much, but I would be making an appointment, especially if this continues. Lyme's disease, for example, looks like all over stiffness and pain - (but we can't say for certain.)

Don't panic, I bet Carolyne is right - and please let us know what happens
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

I agree that you should take him to the vet. But in the now take a look at how he is favoring it. Does it look like a joint, or is he moving them fine? Take a look at, and around his pads, inbetween his toes. Check to see if he feels pain while you touch and feel around. Does he only limp while walking, or does he avoid running? But reguardless, please take the pup to the vet. Problems are not like wine, they do not get better with age.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Yes Yes to the Vet you must go.
Remember that it is in a dogs nature to hide their pain.
It has to hurt really bad before they can no longer hide it.

Don't panic though. Things can hurt real bad but not be serious.
Only your Vet will know for certain.

I had a lab a long time ago named Amy. One Monday morning she seemed almost lame!
I freaked! She took a long time to stand up and once up only moved very slowly. She wasn't limping like your pup.
She just walked very slowly and gingerly. I took the kids to school and called the Vet. Got an appointment for that afternoon. As I watched her that day I noticed she would lay down and nap and have a terrible time getting up. Then she would walk around all tip toe like for about 30 min. If she stayed up she seemed to walk better and better the longer she kept moving. Thank goodness there were no home computers or internet then. You KNOW I would have gotten online and then worried myself even worse over all the things it could be.

Vet found nothing serious. He asked me what we had done over the weekend. We went to the lake. Took the boat out to the sandy islands and Amy got to go off leash. She swam, ran ALL over the island and dug big holes in the sand. We determined that she was experiencing intense muscle soreness much like we get when we haven't worked out for a year and then go all gung ho at the gym or join in a ball game. That was why she would be all stiff and more sore after resting then it would ease up as she moved around a bit. She got better and better over the next couple of days.

So I guess I just want to say.
Don't worry it could be nothing but only your Vet will be able to know for sure.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#6 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (suzanne & harley @ Aug 1 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Yes to the Vet you must go.

OK there Yoda smile.gif.

Seriously though. Good advise, and good post.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users