6 replies to this topic

#1 gindyhead

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

Hello All

I have an 8 year old Black Lab called Charlie who is extremely fit and still thinks he's a 2 year old. Three days ago we felt a soft large lump under the skin on his belly, about equal distance between front and back legs. It's right in the middle where the hair meets in a little tuff. Today, the lump is smaller. I have played around with it and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. When I move the skin, left right front back, the lump seems to move with it, a little. It is smaller today. Do labs get little fat spots every now and then? I have a technician from his vet's ringing me back but I'm sure they'll just ask me to come in, so I thought I would see what the internet had to offer.

Many thanks.

#2 Doug

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (gindyhead @ Jul 23 2007, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello All

I have an 8 year old Black Lab called Charlie who is extremely fit and still thinks he's a 2 year old. Three days ago we felt a soft large lump under the skin on his belly, about equal distance between front and back legs. It's right in the middle where the hair meets in a little tuff. Today, the lump is smaller. I have played around with it and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. When I move the skin, left right front back, the lump seems to move with it, a little. It is smaller today. Do labs get little fat spots every now and then? I have a technician from his vet's ringing me back but I'm sure they'll just ask me to come in, so I thought I would see what the internet had to offer.

Many thanks.

Don't take any chances! Get it checked out immediately! My Black Labrador Princess, has one and I had it checked out. It is supposedly only fatty tissue. But she also has a tumor which seems to be osteosarcoma, which may or may not be related. I don't think it is. But go get it checked out ASAP! Good luck and please keep us posted!

#3 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

My Lab Tessa has a fat lump on her front right leg the size of a small plum. The vet had a look at it last year and tested it. He said it was harmless.... but Doug is right, if you are concerned, seek a vets advice.
Carolyne

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

Tick embedded in the skin?

Is it on the soft tissue of the actual stomach? Or is it at the lower part of the ribs? If it is ribs it may be a cartlige buldge. Sometimes they ball up. If this is the case you can have it removed, but it will normally go away on its on within a month.

Take the pup to the vet. Worst will happen is they cut it out. Simple 5 min procedure. BUT TAKE THE PUP TO THE VET. It may be something different.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

Lab's do get fatty lumps as they get older!!This is fairly common and normal---However, you should definitely get it check out..... just in case!! Do it sooner , rather than later for Peace of mind .
Blacklabrador.com
Admin

#6 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

Sadie has one on her leg. it looks like a full blown up tick. It's not.. it's a mole of some sort. She will have it removed along with her OVH (spay) in the fall. Vet says it should be ok. Not sure if they test these in dogs.. I'd like to know if it's possible for it to come back.. we shall see. Carolyne is yours like this on Tessa? Sadie's is black and soft. (I'll try to post a pic in a day or so.. so others can see it)
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#7 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (Heather @ Aug 12 2007, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadie has one on her leg. it looks like a full blown up tick. It's not.. it's a mole of some sort. She will have it removed along with her OVH (spay) in the fall. Vet says it should be ok. Not sure if they test these in dogs.. I'd like to know if it's possible for it to come back.. we shall see. Carolyne is yours like this on Tessa? Sadie's is black and soft. (I'll try to post a pic in a day or so.. so others can see it)

Given the description Heather, no it's not similar. Tessa's is a large lump and feels soft and can be 'moved' to some degree. The vet tested it and it's water and fat and will inevitably return should she have it drained. It's harmless but I've been told to take her to see him if it gets much bigger or starts to cause her pain/discomfort.
Carolyne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users