Premium dog food or cheap dog food.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JEEP

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Playing Soccer, JEEP's, Taking Buddy to the creek for our "best friends" time, Music from the 80's.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

I've been giving Buddy the Wal-Mart "Old Roy" brand dog food because it's cheap & he likes it but at PetSmart last Saturday one of the staffers said that I need to buy Eucaleiba (however it's spelled) Labrador Retriever dog food because it keeps his weight down by burning those fat grams and he won't "go #2" as much. It's the same size as Wal-Mart dog food but more than twice the price.
What do you feed your Lab(s)? I will spend the extra for Buddy if it's better for him but don't want to get roped into a premium dog food that's the same and your paying extra just for the name.
Whatcha think? unsure.gif

#2 JEEP

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Playing Soccer, JEEP's, Taking Buddy to the creek for our "best friends" time, Music from the 80's.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Sorry. I just saw what I was looking for in Labrador nutrition.
Never mind! rolleyes.gif

#3 Beast

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

Nutritionally sound food for your dog does not need to be expensive.

Bottomline: I pay $11CDN at Costco for Kirkland Signature Super Premium Puppy food; a 20lb bag. The bag will last 2 months(10 weeks old now). I'm a poor student, but I can splurge the $11 to supply a decent meal for 2 months. It's the only thing he eats!!!

Please, read your dog food's ingredients list with the following in mind. (The precise AAFCO definitions are easy to find online. Also, check this:http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php)

1. The largest amount of whatever in the dog food is listed first, 2nd largest amount is listed second, etc.

2. Chicken/Beef/Meat(=pork for religious reasons)/Lamb is the muscle portion. (Sadly, some dog foods use decomposing, rotting flesh.)

3. Chicken/etc Meal is the muscle portion, with the water weight reduced. This is better meat protein for the weight. Therefore, if it's higher on the list, you're getting more protein.

4. Chicken/etc By-product: contains the organs (liver, spleen, kidney, bone, stomach, etc.) Without hooves, heads, hair.

If it looks like it's got a bunch of gross chemicals it probably does. However don't be confused by the scientific names of vitamins and healthy fatty acids.

BONUS: Please read the ingredients in Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, and the rest of the "expensive brands". They should spend less on greasing veterinarians and TV air-time, and more time making dog food.

PS. Your dog is a decendant of wild wolves. He is part-wild. He requires an alpha to lead him or he will lead. He requires pack mates and to be with them. He loves the thrill of the hunt, and MEAT. He is not a cow - though he may eat grass, and everything else - he needs meat protein. PS. Go to the butcher and get a knuckle bone... it'll be free (butcher has to pay to toss it) and your dog will love you. Cook it first to kill bacteria.

#4 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (JEEP @ Jul 17 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been giving Buddy the Wal-Mart "Old Roy" brand dog food because it's cheap & he likes it but at PetSmart last Saturday one of the staffers said that I need to buy Eucaleiba (however it's spelled) Labrador Retriever dog food because it keeps his weight down by burning those fat grams and he won't "go #2" as much. It's the same size as Wal-Mart dog food but more than twice the price.
What do you feed your Lab(s)? I will spend the extra for Buddy if it's better for him but don't want to get roped into a premium dog food that's the same and your paying extra just for the name.
Whatcha think? unsure.gif

Eukanuba is low quality food they have changed they let their quality go down it is now compaired to grocery store garbage. Good foods are blue, wellness, solid gold, evo taste of the wild. you can't buy good quality dog food for 15 dollars just like you can't buy porter house steak for 2 dollars a pound. you get what you pay for. quality dog food help to keep your dog in top shape and health and his immune system is strong to fight off infections. Dogs are meat eaters , most low quality food have bht, or bha which are carcinogenics most have Corn, wheat or soy , and gluten these are cheap products that do nothing to help our dog thrive this is the reason animals are dying of kidney disease and cancer. go find a food that has meat as the first ingred and no corn or wheat or soy or gluten.

#5 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Beast @ Sep 26 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS. Your dog is a decendant of wild wolves. He is part-wild. He requires an alpha to lead him or he will lead. He requires pack mates and to be with them. He loves the thrill of the hunt, and MEAT. He is not a cow - though he may eat grass, and everything else - he needs meat protein. PS. Go to the butcher and get a knuckle bone... it'll be free (butcher has to pay to toss it) and your dog will love you. Cook it first to kill bacteria.

For a balanced diet, they do need to eat plant life too. Feeding bone often is not advised.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#6 chloesmom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

I feed Chloe Iams Large Puppy Breed and she has no problems.

She only poops twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users