excessive hair loss

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 keri

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:I rubberstamp, quilt, scrapbook and garden. I enjoy being outside, going to the lake with Maggie, training Maggie and spending time with my niece and nephew.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

Maggie is my first lab and I know it is normal for her to shed this time of the year, but she seems to be loosing ALOT of hair and even has some thin spots on her belly, chest and front legs. She has not had any change in her food or treats and seems healthy otherwise.
Does anyone know if this is normal or am I being the over-protective mom?
Thanks in advance.
PS - this is what this part of the alphabet would look like it Q and R were eliminated. -Mitch Hedburg

#2 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

Is she extra itchy at all?

Harley is a delicate flower. Mosquito bites, ant bites or any other skin irritation will cause her to scratch till she has a little bald spot there. (he has a little bald spot on her bottom that she made yesterday ... dang mosquitos) When this first raised it's ugly head it started on her knees. Her back knees were both completely bald and she did that with just one or two days of scratching. I and the vet both suspected mange because of the large area of baldness and the fact that mange often begins on the knees. Don't know why ... it just does.

Now that we know she is so sensitive we have her on benadryle a lot. I also have to be really on top of the mosquito repellent for her as well as the frontline.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#3 keri

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:I rubberstamp, quilt, scrapbook and garden. I enjoy being outside, going to the lake with Maggie, training Maggie and spending time with my niece and nephew.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:32 AM

It doesnt seem to be one spot, it is more all over on her chest and belly. She isnt really itchy either. I am thinking that I am just being too paranoid.
PS - this is what this part of the alphabet would look like it Q and R were eliminated. -Mitch Hedburg

#4 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

When we first rescued Riley and changed his food we noticed alot of hair loss. His chest and belly were almost bald. My house was one big fur ball, but we have since changed his dog food and have him on Advantage. His hair on his chest is still a little thin, but it has grown back alot. Now don't get me wrong he still shed's but nothing like it was.
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#5 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

When Duke and Sadie both came here, they lost of alot of fur..and it got thinner on the undercarriage areas. Sadie also had dull fur and Duke was flaky. Now that they are both on a healthy diet it seems fine.. Might have been the food changes, they each had gone through a few in a short amount of time. Sadie was on a corn diet, then rescued and put on some agway brand dog food, then we got her on purina naturals.. and finally wellness.. Duke was on puppychow, then purina and then wellness.. they seem to be doing wonderfully now. They have been shedding alot.. but don't have any naked areas on the underside.. it's thinner there.. since it's summer.. my guess is they lose more fur in the shedding season in the summer since it can be so hot?? I wouldn't worry too much unless it's completeley naked area.. or with hot spots, or itchiness.. Ie scratching there all the time. Lots of times.. it's the food they are eating that is the culprit to the problem. I swear by Wellness.. and feeding some canned food twice a month or so..gives them oils that they need to keep their skin free of flakes. My nephew dog is on Iams and won't eat it anymore.. since he has tasted our food.. Occasionally I will make them some hamburg and rice.. and sweet potatoes.. they love it.. but will go right back to eating the Wellness also..

Aside to explain the corn fed diet:
The people who owned Sadie b4 me, were a puppymill and had been feeding her and the other dogs.. corn. Literally corn. I figured this out because she will see a corn on the cob and stop at nothing to get this from us. I was told from the rescuers she was on a corn diet.. I had thought maybe it was frozen corn.. warmed or added to her food.. apparently she was fed ears of corn.. Yick. Just like a pig! She has stolen ears from us many times.. I have to chase her down and get them from her. It makes a mess when she eats it, plus it's fattening and one of the myriad of reasons why she was pushing 100 pounds when she was rescued. She was also caged for the main portion of her life. So she sat or paced in her cage. Which is cruel and unusual for any dog to suffer this. Now she has so much fun and loves life immensely. She just bursts out the back door every morning.. before she even potties she rolls on the grass and runs around like she is just so damn happy to see the grass again and to be alive! I'm so happy for her!! --H
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#6 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

oh heather. Sadie sounds like a joy!

And OMG! They were feeding her ears of corn? !!!!
arrrrrrrgh Makes me wish it wasn't against the law to punch people.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#7 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

Awwww how sad for Sadie, poor baby! Why do people have animals if they don't know how to care for the properly. Those kinds of things just make me so mad I could just scream!!!!!! You mentioned that your nephews dog was on Iam's, that is what Riley was on when he was shedding so much, then we switched him to Nutro (large breed Lamb and Rice) and now we have noooooo problems. What a difference their diet makes. His coat is absolutly beautiful now, very black and shiny and he has lost weight he looks awesome now.
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#8 Arenas

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hello everyone! I rescued my pup Arenas when he was 3 months old. He is now 10 months and a very happy and energetic dog. He has had a lot of health problems though... started with kennel cough, then diarrhea for a few days (went to the vet and got meds so it stopped and has stayed away without needing meds)... and about 3 months ago he had a bald spot on his head which turned out to be mange and he was put on ivermec for 6 weeks. His head got better BUT he started to lose hair on both of his back knees (when he would sit they would be completely white and still are) and on his underbelly and armpits. His underbelly and chest are extremely thin air/bald. He is also losing a LOT of hair. after the 6 weeks on ivermec i went back to the vet and he then was put on another 2 weeks of ivermec and also an antibiotic and antihistamine along with Omega gel caps. He just finished all his meds (except the gel caps) about a week ago. Until then there was no improvement at all and everything is sort of at a standstill now. He has been eating nothing but science diet and milk bones since he was a pup (even at the shelter) so I am going to get him new food today (my boyfriend's sister works at a shelter and has health food with real meat, etc. that she recommended so I am getting that) and I was also going to order him some health treats or something. He is not and has not been more itchy than usual this whole time and he does not itch more than normal. he has been biting his arms since i've had him but it's usually more of a boredom thing. he does rub his face sometimes though... Or if i rub his belly he will start to bite his arms. I am not sure what to do. Ever since he has been off the meds there has been some improvement so i think that may have been causing him to lose hair also, but i just don't know if any of you have ever run into something like this and have any advice! I appreciate any input! thank you smile.gif

#9 zeepuppy

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:34 AM

i have a 18 month old named zee. we recusded him last year..he is a lback lab and changing color....he shedds all the time now he has patches of brown skin..he is healthy and everything....anybody know what i could do for him. .to not make him shead as much..thanks

jocelyne and zee

#10 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

A lot of this hair loss could be related to the quality of the dog food you are feeding. Or it could also be an allergy to a component of the food.
You might want to try a dog food made for allergic dogs, most mfg's of dog food make this. I also found adding fish oil or just a half can of canned dog food once per day also helps.
Remember, it takes about three weeks for any changes you make to actually start showing up in the dogs coat.

Yes, there are some people who should not have animals period. I work rehabilitating dogs for our local county shelter. We also have a "do not adopt" list, for obvious reasons.

I am currently working with a Yellow Lab that was turned in by his owners. They bought him as a pup from a roadside stand thinking that dogs come housebroken like cats are. When they found out this wasn't true, they threw him out in the back yard in an airline type kennel and forgot about him for a year.
"Rookie" is totally unsocialized. He is also emotionally under developed. But he is a beautiful dog. I acquired him last Thursday and have made some signifigant break throughs with him. He now likes to hang out with my pack of dogs. You can now pet him without him flipping out. The only problem he has (and we are working on) is that since an airline kennel doesn't have a transparent roof, he never learned to look upwards. When I got him he only looked downwards at a 45 degree angle. If you held a squeaky ball over his head and would squeak it, he'd look all over the ground for it without looking up. After working with him he now walks looking straight ahead. Yesterday, he actually looked upwards a few times. Now he is learning how to play. My 11 month old foster Gracie (a German Shepard/Golden mix) is showing him how. At least there was still time for him to become rehabed. You can count on the fact that we will verify that he goes to only one of the best homes around.

Well, at least the people who mistreated him turned him into the shelter. Most of the times people like this just let their dogs run away, or dump them in the woods telling their children that their dog will have a wonderful time playing with the bunnies and eating the fruits and berries are in the woods. What's wrong with this behavior is that the kids never learn what really happens to dumped dogs and makes them more likely to do the same when they become adults.

I wish I could open a castration center for adult humans who treat animals like this. Of course I wouldn't use any anesthesia at all!

#11 zeepuppy

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

thanks..for the ideas...he's been eating benaful for a while now. i will look into other food. we rescued him and took great care of him ..but i dont' know what happened before..he's an indoor dog now. well we dont' leave him out side ..he's good with the kids...he did a great turn around..apparantly before we got him...he was thrown out of a moving car off a major highway and had a bad time.. he is great dog now! i love him..just wish he woudn't shead as much.!

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users