Heartworm and flea prevention query

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

hi all,
Just curious what you all do for fleas, and heartworm prevention? I was wondering if getting them a script for heartworm pills that are generic would be cost effective as opposed to the regular chewy ones they give out. I have three dogs now. Two are 60 pounds plus.. and one is allow me a small chuckle here: less than 10 pounds. te he he .. so I need to buy for, well two and a half dogs.. wink.gif

Plus I need a handy flea preventitive that is earthy crunchy.. Ie: safe around kiddies, cats, etc..
I can't use the regular stuff.. that you put in their backs since it can kill cats.. and be harmful to kids. I was thinking of getting some homemade bars of flea doggy shampoo from etsy.com some people there sell homemade earthy stuff.. and also on ebay.. anybody have some that they use or make themselves? I know we don't have fleas in our yard.. I would think if we did.. I'd get bitten every now and again.. but just to be safe.. plus we shall be heading off to doggy parks and such in the spring.. I want them protected but safe.. we love hugging them and cuddling and laying on our dogs.. we get all cozy and watch a movie together on the big old bed.. so safe but protected is good.. think hubby is going to install an outdoor shower this year.. so we can wash them outside in the warm months.. plus demudding the children will be faster as well.

ideas, comments.. recipes?? Any help at all would be appreciated!!
Danke !!
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#2 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:33 PM

I use the generic pills now rather than the chewy square thingy for heartworm. They were about $10 less for a 6 month supply (one dog).

I do use the drops that go on the back. But I don't use the (i think it is called advantage plus) super kind. Just the regular frontline or regular advantage. My vet told me that it was the super or plus kind that was dangerous for cats. hmmmm I think I need to google this more so I get my names straight. LOL

Every time I buy some the vet tech recommends the "super" kind because we are outdoors a lot. She said it works better and repels mosquitos too. Then I remind her about the cat and she says Oh yeah, you can only have the "plain old vanilla" kind.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#3 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:18 AM

I was looking into the generic pills since looking online at 800 pet meds.. it was in the 170.00 usd range for three dogs.. this was for a 12 mos supply.. which i'd like to have it all ready to go.. sure better than the price of having the surgery done.. as that can be in the $4k usd range.. ouch.

As for flea prevention.. I'd like to use something natural and mild.. unless we have a problem. My kids are young and they are all over the dogs daily, hourly, by the minute.. so I'd like to try some soaps and such first.. I know seargants..has some liquid drops that are supposed to be safe more natural?.. but when a company makes one for dogs and one for cats.. that says to me.. that one is good for and safe for dogs, and one is good for and safe for cats..I dunno.. everytime i look at the back of a product and there are all kinds of names i cannot pronounce..freaks me out & tells me it's not natural or made by nature.. I can spell and read lavender, menthol, green tea, euculyptus, citrus, shea butter.. etc.. i just feel nature has solutions for all it's problems.. we just have to locate them.

I just can't have my dogs killing my cat because of flea a preventative. I just brought that poor cat from the brink of death. She was vomiting daily undigested food, she was eating iams cat food. We switched to a natural brand canned food and she has no more vomiting and gaining weight back, she's like a 100 years old but still has the right to live here as long as she can. I can't believe the amazing transformation she has gone through.

If we were to go camping.. I might buy something a little stronger.. since we would be tent camping and sleeping on the ground.. we people would also be wearing something for mosquitoes. (musky-toes)

(no offense intended with this post to those who use flea preventative etc.)
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users