Best Discipline Methods

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mona Lisa's Papa

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music, Georgia/Atlanta Sports, International Soccer, Cooking, & Lil' Miss Mona.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Okee dokee,

So I have a 4 month old, AKC registered, wonderful little girl named Ramona Lisa. She has generally been a total joy, and is such a good girl. But she needs to learn a thing or two. I have grown to often call her "Mo" for short, and I guess I really didn't think that one through. Evidently, that rhymes with "No"... silly daddy.

I think she knows the difference just via my inflection/tone/volume when I actually do tell her "no". I try to pepper in a "Bad Girl!" when I'm feeling funky, but I need to find a better way to discipline her and be consistent with it. My folks always used to use a rolled up newspaper with our Basset Hounds back in the day, but A) I get my news online, & B) there's gotta being something better.

Let's face it, I'm no Cesar Milan and I don't know if I have his little mind games will work for me. I read and loved Sawyers Dad's post about the "sock baby", a bunch of old socks rolled up in another sock to knock the stew out of her with. Is it bad to spank them with your hands? I have heard that you don't want the dog to actually fear you - you want them to fear an object. Is that true?

Bottom Line:

Does anyone have any suggestions or techniques for a solid discipline method?

Thanks,
Mona Lisa's Papa

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

When naming your dog one should never use a name that sounds like a command. Fortunately it is not to late to rename your dog.
How about calling her Lisa? Or using the full "Ramona"? You want to try as hard as you can not to confuse your dog.

Right now your dog is entering the stage where it is best to start full obedience training. I usually tell people to start at about 5 months of age, before that the dog only needs to know it's name and what the word "No" means.

Always use positive training techniques when using a dog. You should never use any training technique that involves fear of any kind.
Weather it's an object or a person. And at your dog's age the things it is learning now are the things it will remember best the rest of its life.

And you really don't need to increase the volume of your voice when dealing with your dog, they can hear you just fine. If you are too loud or scream at your dog too much their immediate reaction is to tune you out and ignore you. And you don't want that.

I have fond that the best way to train a dog is to start with a 10 minute long playtime. Than work on training for about 15 minutes and then end the session with more playtime. Ball or Frisbee are excellent games to play as warm up or cool down to a training session. When you do this you slip the training in while the dog is having fun and it helps the dog keep tuned into you.

Shake cans etc are good for making noises and that's about all. Sometimes they even scare a dog and that only makes it harder to train them.

I recommend the book "It's Me or the Dog" by Victoria Stillwell. It teaches positive reinforcement in a method that dogs can understand.
It's available through Amazon.com or any large bookstore.

Remember you have a pup on your hands and you don't want to do anything that will scare her at this point. This is also the age where phobias are formed too. If you scare a pup or are too harsh on the pup you may instill a fear in that pup that may last a lifetime. You haven't really seen your lab being as wild as they eventually grow up to be. "teenage" labs can be real wild asses. But never fear, eventually they will calm down to be the dog you want them to be. And starting training now will make things go a lot easier for you later.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. And welcome to blacklabrador.com, the place where the big dogs woof!

#3 Mona Lisa's Papa

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music, Georgia/Atlanta Sports, International Soccer, Cooking, & Lil' Miss Mona.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

You weren't lying about the terrible teenage man. Mona just got spayed a few days ago, and is generally awesome. HOWEVER, she has got a major barking problem. She's just so damn rude sometimes if ya know what I mean.

Sometimes, when she has been fed, watered, peed, pooped, has toys, chew bones, everything, she just stares me right in the eye while I'm sitting on the couch with my wife, and just BARKS!...continuously. It's like she's trying to tell me something, but just can't find the words. Mona what's the issue? Nothing. She just sings.

Usually, going to throw the ball will wear her out enough for a nap. Sometimes not. And since, she still has stitches from the spay, running around in the yard is out for the time being.

I wanted to ask you if you knew any tricks to stop the barking in that couch scenario. Is there a good way to teach her the word "quiet"? What would you recommend Kurt or anyone?

Thanks for your help in advance.

#4 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

"no bark" is what I taught Smokey.  He is 9 months old and is more often than not testing his limits and pushing me to mine!   If he doesn't follow a command I correct him, he will walk all over me if I let him.  He plops at my feet with a huge sigh and has his head down and gives me those brown eyes...you get the idea, I can't let him win. 

I also can say a loud firm AH-AH  and Smokey knows that means stop it.  He has lately been making these Chewbacca type sounds for my attention and I don't like it. (Usually if he is crated as he will chew down the house if not supervised and he goes nuts when I fold laundry, tries to grab everything out of my hands so he has to go in his crate and then the sounds begin...) 

He is funny though, I love him! :wub:

Consistently reward when she stops barking when you tell her "quiet" she will get it. 

#5 LarryL

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing and training my lab pup, Ellie.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Good tips from Tracey and Kurt about "No bark."  It works.  I also hold up my finger and now she knows that is all I have to do.  And yes, the Chewbacca sounds chime in from Ellie too.  It is cute though when she begins howling against my command with those ears laid straight back.  They don't like it, but they understand you.  Some just say shhhhhh.  Whatever you want to do, now is a great time.  She will still bark when she wants something so let her communicate.  My 15 month old begins barking like crazy when I get home and I begin dressing to take her out. She simply goes crazy with excitement.  She is ready to retrieve and she is beside herself.  That is part of why we have a dog though.  It is fun to watch her come to life.  So Ramona Lisa will continue to get excited for you in puppy fashion for at least another year.  Take it in stride and enjoy her cuteness.

Larry

LarryL from Dallas

#6 Mona Lisa's Papa

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I read something online yesterday about putting a bunch of pennies in a tin can, and when she is in bark-mode, you SHAKE the can real quick, just to distract not terrify, and it makes them stop. I tried it, and surprisingly the Bark Stopper 1000 worked like a charm last night. Just a quick shake, and she quits immediately. Amazing.

Obviously, I can't carry that can of pennies wherever I go, but I was amazed how well it worked the first night I tried it. Any thoughts on that:?

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I don't recommend the shake can method of training. Sure it works for awhile but then once the dog gets used to it they just ignore it.

That's one reason I recommend positive reinforcement training. Your dog knows what "No" means. If the dog doesn't stop the activity when you tell it to, go to the dog and put it in a sit or down position.  It will then stop barking because it is now thinking about what you want it to do.

#8 raab

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hi MLP, what we did for discipline is buy a second "time out" crate that we put outside. Anytime our Lab did something we didn't want it to do ex: jump on us, jump on the couch, etc.. we would put her out in the timeout kennel for various lengths of time depending what she did. For barking what we did was just ignore her, then after she had stopped barking for 10 -15 minutes we would walk over to the kennel and reward her with praise and petting or treats to reinforce the no barking. The biggest thing with the no barking is to make sure you don't even look at them because if they get any attention at all from it they will continue to do it. Also a good trick I learned recently to help reinforce that your Alpha dog is to stare down your pup and keep staring until she/he looks away. Really helped getting our dog to be more obedient and calm. Hope this helps.

Raab

#9 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi MLP, what we did for discipline is buy a second "time out" crate that we put outside. Anytime our Lab did something we didn't want it to do ex: jump on us, jump on the couch, etc.. we would put her out in the timeout kennel for various lengths of time depending what she did. For barking what we did was just ignore her, then after she had stopped barking for 10 -15 minutes we would walk over to the kennel and reward her with praise and petting or treats to reinforce the no barking. The biggest thing with the no barking is to make sure you don't even look at them because if they get any attention at all from it they will continue to do it. Also a good trick I learned recently to help reinforce that your Alpha dog is to stare down your pup and keep staring until she/he looks away. Really helped getting our dog to be more obedient and calm. Hope this helps.

Raab

I am sorry, but I have to say I disagree with ever using a crate as punishment.  I want my dogs to be comfortable and to like thier crates for the times they need to be in them for their own safety.  Using one as punishment would be confusing to the dog.  This is just my opinion.

#10 raab

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I am sorry, but I have to say I disagree with ever using a crate as punishment.  I want my dogs to be comfortable and to like thier crates for the times they need to be in them for their own safety.  Using one as punishment would be confusing to the dog.  This is just my opinion.

Thats why we have two different crates. One is an open cage type crate that she is very comfortable in and the "time out" crate is the big plastic ones that are more enclosed. Also we keep the time out crate outside and don't use it for anything but a time out. I agree though if you only had one crate I wouldn't use it as a punishment. Another option is to find a room where you would feel comfortable leaving her in instead if you do have any worries about using a crate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users