6 replies to this topic

#1 Boris

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hi all,
I have just adopted an adult black Lab from my local animal sanctuary. The people there think that the dog is less than 2 yesr old. However his chin has already gone quite grey, making me think that he is maybe 5 years old or so. I have had Labs in the past, but they were light coloured yellows and could have had grey on their chins for some time before I noticed due to their colouration.

Just wondering what age you would usually expect to see the chin go grey on a Black Lab?

#2 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (Boris @ Feb 5 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,
I have just adopted an adult black Lab from my local animal sanctuary. The people there think that the dog is less than 2 yesr old. However his chin has already gone quite grey, making me think that he is maybe 5 years old or so. I have had Labs in the past, but they were light coloured yellows and could have had grey on their chins for some time before I noticed due to their colouration.

Just wondering what age you would usually expect to see the chin go grey on a Black Lab?

Actually when we got our second black lab, Maggie, she was 7 weeks old. She had a little bit of white on her chin then. I have seen several purebred labs that have this cute characteristic.
IPB Image

#3 black_knight

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

I have seen some black labs grey earlier than others. Jed who is 4.5 years old now justed started showing the first few grey hairs around his muzzle this winter. He is my second black lab I have owned and if my memory serves me right, my first lab greyed around 6-7 years. I believe genetics play a part in the greying process. Your vet could probably inform you on his exact age.
Eileen & Jed

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. Itís the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#4 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

Phoebe has a silver frosty chin and she's only 3. You can pick it up in some of her 'close-ups' - it probably varies from dog to dog, same as humans.

....Heck, male gorillas in their prime are called 'silverbacks!'
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#5 Boris

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:39 AM

Had Boris at the Vet last night just to get a general check over. The animal shelter had said that he is 19 months old, the vet said that was possible, but he would have said 2 years old going by his teeth etc, and no older than 2 and a half. He is a real find, a fantastic dog so far.

#6 Martlet

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

My brother's chocolate is 4, and he's had a gray chin for at least a year now.

#7 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

No grey hairs here.. on the dogs..anyway

Silverbacks.. hehehe.. gotta tell my hubby that one.. he's pretty much all grey and only 35 this year.. hehehe.. I've got a few myself.. but am swearing off the hair dye for now.. unless Mr. Paul Mitchel has a made from the wholesome earth organic not tested on animals version..
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users