4 replies to this topic

#1 dee dee

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hello,

Wondered if anybody can help im really struggling to train my black lab she is one year old and i have a serious issue getting her back into the house she will not come in when i shout and when i step anywhere near her she will do continuous laps around the garden i have tried everything and she does go through stages of coming inside for treats but sometime it takes 2-3 hours and it is getting too much now i am at breaking point with her i have no idea what to do next other then get a chain everytime she goes out then if she doesnt come on request she can't do the comical laps around the garden? It is my first dog so i have no idea if this is something i should do?

Please HELP!!!

#2 TraceyD

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:motherhood, animals and gardening

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

My best advice is never chase her, that becomes a game that she likes and will always win. Recall is a difficult command to teach a lot of dogs, we are working on it still. I don't let my boy off leash unless it is time for him to play frisbee or fetch if I'm on a limited time frame I leash him so there is no issue with getting him to come in.

You will get more advice here from more experienced lab owners. Good Luck!

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Oh My! You do need help, don't you.

Could you tell us some history about this dog? How old was she when you acquired her? From where did she originate?

First of all, stop the shouting! She can hear you just fine if you talk to her in a normal tone of voice.
Have you ever struck this dog as punishment? Just take three deep breath's and relax when you deal with you dog. Talk to her in a normal rather authoritative voice.

Start by seeing if she will come to you when you call her in the house. If she does, offer her a biscuit and a nice "good girl!" in a high pitched voice.

Respond back and we will have more pertinent information for you.

#4 LarryL

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing and training my lab pup, Ellie.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hello,

Wondered if anybody can help im really struggling to train my black lab she is one year old and i have a serious issue getting her back into the house she will not come in when i shout and when i step anywhere near her she will do continuous laps around the garden i have tried everything and she does go through stages of coming inside for treats but sometime it takes 2-3 hours and it is getting too much now i am at breaking point with her i have no idea what to do next other then get a chain everytime she goes out then if she doesnt come on request she can't do the comical laps around the garden? It is my first dog so i have no idea if this is something i should do?

Please HELP!!!

Dee Dee,

Kurt has given you some sage advice. Labs don't want to come in. They love the outdoors so be mindful of that. That is why they get so excited for walks, runs, etc. Treats work wonders. And don't yell as Kurt noted. You may have to walk around with her with treat in hand and nicely get her to come with you inside by saying "come." Then give her a treat and LOTS of praise. Repeat. Make it fun!

The other option is to have her on a rope or leash and when it is time to go in you can coax her with a treat and grab the leash for good measure. Sometimes my 11 month old wants to stay out a bit too long too. But when I call her and go inside with the door shut, she then comes in. Separation is not fun for labs. Sometimes I have to say that when I call her and if she does not respond, I call her again and walk at her. She then knows I mean business and comes to me. You have to get to know your lab's mannerisms.

Try the treat and praise first over and over again. Even when you go play in the park. She needs to know that "come" is an ok command and not for being in trouble.

Good luck.
Larry
LarryL from Dallas

#5 jade88

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

when our lab was a puppy when ever she was walking towards us (even when we hadnt called her) we would say the word come and give her a treat or lots of praise, even now when we are walking her off lesh we will call her back to us and praise her for coming then let her go off and play again. she never knows when she comes if that is the time to go home or not a bit like a lottery really sometimes you win and sometimes the fun is over for now. Even if your dog has given you the run around never shout at her when she does eventually come to you because she will soon learn that if I do come I will only get in trouble. I know it can be frustrating but you get further with a lab by using patients and love because at the end of the day all they want is to please us. Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users