Photo

What's The Best CHEAP Dog Food?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

In working with dogs and their owners I frequently get asked "What is the best cheap dog food I can use?". Usually my answer is "It doesn't exist".

With the economy being the way it is and with people being downsized from their jobs and are frequently turning in dogs because their owners can no longer afford to feed them. This is really sad.

Some owners just don't care what they feed their dogs, usually they are uneducated about the role a dog's food plays in its life. Others want to feed a good food, but just can't afford it. A lot though just say "Just give me the cheapest stuff you can find."

Do you have any recommendations?

I found that California Natural Grain Free Chicken goes for about $28.00 a 15lb bag vs say Nutro which is $38.00 for the same 15lb bag.

Does anyone else have any suggestions that may fit in this category? Please feel free to state your feelings about this.

#2 Dukesmomma

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:running, camping, cooking, animals, hiking, biking, snowboarding

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

I personally think if someone can't afford decent food, they shouldn’t have pets. It annoys me to no end when I hear people just giving their animals crap.

I don't have brand recommendations, especially since I don’t know what a person’s price range is. We all have a different perception on what is “cheap” or “expensive” but I guess if someone finds themselves in a situation where they need to re-evaluate what they spend on their pets then some things should be considered.

First of all, don't be discouraged by this, just because something is expensive doesn't mean it’s the best. There are a lot of options out there so set a price range that you would like to spend a month.

Next, you will also need to read the label. Calculate the price per pound first and then look at feeding chart. You might be spending less initially but if you're feeding twice as much it isn't going to save you money in the end. Simple Math!

If the feeding chart shows that you're feeding more than other brands it’s probably safe to say that there is a lot of filler and crap in that food, which brings me to the next step. Look at the ingredients!!!
For example, a product list could contain chicken, ground corn, corn gluten, ground wheat, corn bran, wheat flour, wheat middling, etc. If we were to group all of the corn ingredients as one, they would probably far out-weigh the amount of chicken, and wheat, so keep that in mind.

Digestibility is also really important. There might be a high protein percentage in the nutrition info but if it’s made of proteins from grains it’s not going to do any good for your dog either. Now, what goes in must come out right, and it should come out nicely. Some dogs are picky eaters and others, like mine, will eat anything so we need to make sure the stool is firm, well digested and isn't showing bits of kibble or foreign matter. He also should be going potty excessively either.

Your dog should also look healthy, have a nice coat, be happy, not flaky or itchy and shouldn’t be passing gas all day.

If you were looking for a short and easy answer, sorry about that! :P

This is also assuming you’re feeding dry food, which have around 10% moisture. If you’re looking at wet foods you’ll need to take into account the moisture content as it can skew the percentages. Phew…that was a lot!

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

But well worth the effort. Thanks for the excellent response.

Anyone else?

#4 Mack71

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

Kirkland Dog Food from COSTCO is a middle of the road food for an excellent low price.

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

But unfortunately Kirkland dog food is made by Diamond Pet Foods, a company that has a long history of recalls of their dog food due to contamination and salmonella issues.

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Today while shopping at our local grocery store I came across a rather inexpensive dog food that seemed pretty good. It's ANF 02 Holistic dog food.

No corn, no wheat, no fillers. And the dog food bag comes vacuum sealed just like coffee pouches do. This preserves the food without the use of preservatives.

The nutritional values seem pretty good Protein 26%, Fat 12%. Upon further checking I have found that it has never been on any dog food recall list.

And the best part is that it is only $14.98 for a 15lb bag. That's pretty reasonable.

Does anyone else here feed ANF Holisic to their dogs. If so what do you think.

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

We tried this food for 4 months. What a mistake. Two of our labs hair started to fall out in clumps. Sammy, our 11 year old Chocolate Lab who has longer hair than  the rest of our labs started to develop short hair and bald spots. He had a very mottled coat. The vet thought it was thyroid disease of some kind and ran a basic thyroid panel. To everyone's surprise it came back completely normal. The vet didn't think it could be the dog food as it had been very, very hot here, but we switched everyone back to Innova. Within two weeks both Sammy's & Brandy's coat was coming in normal again and the clump shedding stopped.

There is a lot of dangerous dog food out there, be careful. I wonder what would have happened if I kept feeding this food? There is very little information about O2 on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users