N ew 1 year old hastling 3 year old.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Poppysmum

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Training and dog agility for enjoyment. Anything lab. related!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Have just aquired a 1 year old black lab bitch (Skye) as a companion for my 3 year old lab bitch (Poppy).

I'm aware that 1 year old dogs are very playful and that Skye needs her play more than Poppy but we are constantly having to seperate the two dogs in the house. Poppy is very docile and although she bangs her teeth as a warning she won't snap at the puppy.

Skye is just finishing being on heat (3rd week) and keeps 'humpng Poppy, I'm aware this could be a dominance rather than a sexual act but every time I say "No!" to Skye, Poppy thinks she's being told off and looks like she's the one in trouble.

I crate Skye to give Poppy a break (and will do so when I leave them alone together) but perhaps I should take the dogs on seperate walks to tire the pup out a bit more.

Any experience of this and advice most welcome.
What if there is no such thing as PMS and it's just me !!!!

#2 Poppysmum

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

Update...purchased a pet corrector spray and it seems to be working! I don't spray it near Skye but the sound of it distracts her and she stops! This habit may stop before the 50 sprays worth have run out. :lol:

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

It sounds like what you have is normal pack behavior. They are trying to work out the social hierarchy that the pack will eventually have. Sometimes a fight will break out and that will be that. Remember that dogs have a social structure different than humans do. With humans, everyone is supposed to be on equal footing.(horizontal structuring) With dogs, somebody is always ahead or behind somebody else (vertical structuring)

Plus you have raging female hormones going on due to one dog being in season.

Eventually this will calm down on it's own. But DO continue with the discipline for the time being. I wouldn't continue with the spray. I find that is usually counterproductive.

The only thing I can think of different that what you are doing is to walk the dogs together. Remember, the pack that has activities together usually get along together.

Eventually this will stop and they will get along. Jut make sure that during this period they are not left alone together unless crated, just as a precaution.

#4 Poppysmum

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sensible advice as usual from kurt, thanks.

I am walking them together and Skye is as good as gold. Once off the lead...I have to wait until Poppy has had time to toilet!...Skye lunges at Poppy and wants to play...back to the hassling and humping!! Poppy comes to me to wrap herself round my legs for protection..I keep moving away so that she has to sort it herself...she doesn't. Do I leave them to get on with and intervene by putting Skye back on the lead...letting her calm down and then letting her off again?

Poppy's looking sad in the house and keeps climbing onto her bed to get out of the way :(

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

If the dog that is being harassed looks like it is not enjoying this behavior, I would intervene. It could be that Skye is enticing Poppy to play with her, but she doesn't want to. She needs to know that this ruff stuff isn't acceptable. Sure she's a pup and lab pups do play rough, but when you see Skye giving Poppy "that look", jump right in and do a correction so she knows that she has to play nice with Poppy.

#6 Poppysmum

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Skye's getting better on the walks because we put her back on the lead when she gets carried away. Then she goes back to jumping and humpimg Poppy in the house. So we've decided to put the lead on Skye for short bursts as she seems to understand this, rather than crate her as I don't want the crate to feel like a punishment. We'll be there soon :rolleyes:

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

A correction shouldn't mean crating. Putting your dog in it's crate as a punishment is never acceptable and can actually make crate training harder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users