Photo

Warning!! Another Pet Food Recall.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

It seems that Diamond Pet Foods does it again!

They have a recall out for their "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul" food. The recall is due to micro-organisms in the dog food. They had the same exact problem with the same exact food back in 2005. A lot of dogs died from that incident.

The Diamond brand puppy food is also being recalled. It has toxic levels of salmonella.

They also have recalled Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice formula for mold issues.

In 2008 we lost a black lab at four years of age because we fed Natural Balance only to find out later that they used wheat gluten from China in an attempt to increase their profits. Right after that our Yellow Lab came down with cancer, but survived.

Here is a list of dog foods that they manufacture:
Here is a link to the recalls: Diamond Puppy
Diamond Naturals Recall
Chicken Soup For The.....

All these recalls were announced in the past 10 days.

I wouldn't feed anything this company makes. I believe that they should be shut down . They are a disgrace to the industry!

Here is the latest Pet Food Recall list.

#2 Joe The Manatee

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Kurt, I am in total agreement with you here. I have not fed anything that they make since the aflatoxin recall. They were found to be liars then, and they are liars now. The shutting down of the plant was not exactly voluntary, and it is not true that there are no confirmed illnesses either:

Investigation of a Multi-state Outbreak of Salmonella Infantis Linked to Dry Dog Food
May 3, 2012

On this page:

Background
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been collaborating with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and state and local officials to investigate a multi-state outbreak of Salmonella Infantis infections. A total of 14 individuals infected with the outbreak strain have been reported from nine states. For complete details on the cases, go to CDC's Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis Infections Linked to Dry Dog Food website.

FDA became involved in early April when the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development reported detecting Salmonella from an intact package of Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Formula for Adult Dogs, collected during retail surveillance sampling. Diamond Pet Food was notified of the sampling results, and agreed to voluntarily recall this product on April 6, 2012. See Firm Recall Press Release: Diamond Pet Foods Voluntarily Recalls Limited Number of Dry Dog Food Bags Due to a Potential Health Risk for more information. At that time, there were no known dog illnesses reported.

An additional finding of Salmonella in a sample taken by the Ohio Department of Agriculture, from an opened bag of Diamond Brand Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food collected from the home of an ill person, and an unopened bag of the product collected from a retail store led to a recall of that product on April 26, 2012. See Firm Recall Press Release: Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall of One Production Run of Dry Dog Food Due to a Potential Health Risk for more information.

A sample of Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food collected by FDA during an inspection at the South Carolina production facility also yielded Salmonella Infantis, which led to a recall of that product on April 30, 2012. See Firm Recall Press Release: Diamond Pet Foods Expands Voluntary Recall to Include Diamond Puppy Formula due to Possible Salmonella Contamination for more information.

Public health officials used DNA "fingerprints" of Salmonella bacteria obtained through diagnostic testing with pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, or PFGE, to investigate cases of human illness. CDC reports that this outbreak strain (Infantis) is rare, and typically only 0 to 3 cases are reported per month to PulseNet.

Through interviews by state public health officials, FDA's review of consumer complaints, and from a comparison of pet products from human exposure, some brands of dry pet food produced by Diamond Pets Foods at a single manufacturing facility in South Carolina have now been linked to human Salmonella infections.

FDA, CDC, and state investigations are ongoing in an effort to determine if other brands of dry dog food produced at the South Carolina facility may be linked to confirmed human illnesses. FDA will provide updates on the investigation as new information becomes available.

Recall Information
Complete information on the recalled products, including photos, lot numbers, and distribution information on each is located at Diamond Pet Foods Recall Information Posted Image.

Since their initial recall on April 6, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods has voluntarily expanded that recall to include three of their dry dog food products. Diamond Pet Foods is cooperating with FDA and with state and local public health and agricultural officials in this ongoing investigation.

The recalled products were distributed in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

The company is working directly with distributors and retailers that carry these products to remove them as quickly as possible from the marketplace.

Advice to Consumers
Consumers should check their homes for recalled dog food products. Do not feed recalled products to your pet and do not handle the pet food. Follow the tips listed at FDA's Safe Handling Tips for Pet Foods and Treats.

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like a replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods at 800-442-0402, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday, or visit Diamond Pet Foods Recall Information Posted Image.

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. Well animals can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

People who think they might have become ill after contact with dry pet food or with an animal that has eaten recalled dry pet food should consult their health care provider. Infants, older adults and those with impaired immune systems are more likely than others to develop severe illness.

Veterinarians and consumers alike should report cases of animal illness associated with pet foods to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator in their state, or electronically through the Safety Reporting Portal.

Additional Resources
How to Report a Pet Food Complaint

http://www.fda.gov/F...rce=govdelivery

#3 Joe The Manatee

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis Infections Linked to Dry Dog Food
http://www.cdc.gov/s...-12/index.html#

Advice to consumers from Centers for Disease Control. At least 14 individuals in 9 states are ill.

#4 bruno sj

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

I had just recently switched to kirkland super premium only to find a recall for most of their dry food. Please check if your state is included. I live in Puerto Rico, which is on the list. Any bag with the tenth digit #3 followed by an Xshould return the remainder to costco and most important,should take their dog(s) to your vet. Salmmonella is no joke & potentially even life threatenning. My batch # was of by one digit, yet my dog developed some very soft stool imediately, so I stoped before reading about the recall. Lets just say I'm done w Diamond anything. Back to pro plan.

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

One thing we have to remember is that a lot of dog foods companies are really "paper" companies. They concoct the ingredients and then bid it out to the lowest independent dog food manufacturer for manufacturing. So the quality control of the independent is what you are going to get with your food if they are one of these kinds of companies.

Blue Buffalo, Kirkland and Natural Balance are these kinds of companies. They really have no say so over their quality control.

So I am not surprised with these outbreaks as nobody is watching the factory, so to speak. The best advice I have is to deal with a dog food company that makes it's own food in it's own factory.

And if a dog food has a recall only in one part of the country, I'd still avoid it. It could be that they just haven't discovered it yet in your part of the country.

Now if you want to read something scary that happened for a couple of years in 1985-87, read this!

Carnation Dog Food

#6 bruno sj

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Too bad my dog had to suffer a bit for my ignorance(though well intended). He's fine & I'm really pissed. It could have easily becomed catastrophic for us. Today, I took the leftover bag of d-food to Costco. Though my batch was not part of the voluntary recall, they, after some polite nagging on my part, gave me a cash card. They were insistant on their quality & the fact that their product (Kirkland) had not tested positive for Salmonnella & other bacteria. Two things I noticed while browsing; They have already changed their packaging & nowhere in their package does it state where the food was manufactured. I have a neighbor who feeds his Great Dane the Kirkland super premium canned food & is very happy w it. I told him re. the recall on their dry-food & he believes it has to come from another manufacturer. Since this info. is not available in the package nor in the cans, he wants to continue w it. I believe both feeds are manufactured by Diamond. These issues make sites like this one a must if you care about your pal. I, for one, am grateful & thankful. Also I'm learnning to consult when making changes. Thanks

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

You are most welcome. We try to post alerts when we hear of them.

This whole food thing gives guilt a new definition. Guilt = Knowing your dog died because he was poisoned by the food you were giving him just because somebody at the food company wanted to make more profit.

#8 bruno sj

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

You read my mind. It's hard not to feel some guilt when it relates to those who depend on you for their wellbeing. Kurt, I shared your info. regarding "paper" companies w my dog owner group(We meet week days late afternoons) & everybody was surprised or in disbelief about Blue Buffalo not manufacturing their product. It's becomed very popular down here. Gave them our site & left it alone. Hopefully some will log on. Hope all is well.

#9 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Bruno:

Feel free to distribute this information as you see fit. Everything on this website is supported by fact.
With all the advertising that Blue Buffalo does it leads to a false sense of security. After doing my own research on Blue Buffalo and discussing this with my vet and looking at her records it does seem that a lot of dogs that are on Blue Buffalo develop allergies and other illnesses including liver or kidney failure.

I think the problem is what Blue Buffalo uses to set their product apart. They put in a lot of excess vitamins and probiotics. Most likely much more than is needed. Ask any doctor what will happen to a human if they OD on excess vitamins over time. Organ failure. Couple this with having a company like Diamond Foods actually manufacturing the product and you have a potentially dangerous problem.

The black lab you see in the photo to the upper left is the original Kurt. He died at age 5 from Natural Balance dog food. Texas A&M vet school found high levels of malamine in his system. Natural Balance at the time had advertising similar to Blue Buffalo's at the time. The malamine got into his system because Diamond (the same people who made Blue Buffalo also make Natural Balance) was importing the wheat gluten from China to save money.
It's too bad as Kurt was one of the best dogs we ever owned. We still miss him dearly.

#10 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

And it just goes on and on and on...

Solid Gold Wolf Club Dog Food Recall..

and another Diamond made Dog Food shows up....

In an earlier post I mentioned when one food made by a dog food maker goes bad, usually other brands made by the same company will show up later to be bad. This is what happened in this case. That's why when I hear of one food being recalled I immediately stop using all food from that company. It usually means that they haven't found the same problem in their other foods, yet.

Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy Recall

Please go back and read the Carnation Dog Food link above. I fixed it so it gives you the correct story this time.

#11 bruno sj

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'm very sorry about Kurt's unwaranted demise. I lost my brown lab (choco) at 6 yrs.to cancer in 2007 &, as you well know, It left a void in my life that took some time & effort to regain. I waited around a year & a half before Bruno. I got permission to post a copy in our blg. bulletin board & took the liberty of translating some of your info into Spanish. We have over 200 dog owners in our comunity & i figure if we can maybe save one dog, It will be well worth the effort. Kurt, maybe It's a thinking error on my part, but; Are dogs perrishing younger in the present? I can't remember any significant amount of time in my life without a dog. I was even born into a family w a 10 y.o. German Sheppard(Rey). He passed at age 15. Even Coquette, if you can imagine a Great Pyrenees living in Puerto Rico & suffering w congenital sores common to the breed, lasted 14 + yrs. In the past month we have lost 2 dogs, a Golden retriever(6Y.O.) & a W.H. Fox Terrier(4), both w cancer. Skin rashes are quite common, particularly w small breeds. Digestive disorders are a common subject w my fellow dog owners. All these dog food companies are constantly selling, not only health, but longeveity as well. Any stats in this area? Thanks....again. Be well

#12 Dukesmomma

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:running, camping, cooking, animals, hiking, biking, snowboarding

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

Bruno you mention that kirkland doesn't specify where they're food is made. I was unaware of this. Do they reference Diamond brand what so ever?

I find this to be appalling and I don't understand how a company can keep that information a secret. Especially from these big names in dog foods that show up at every trade-show and event, promoting how amazing their product is.

Thanks everyone for keeping us up to date on this important information!

#13 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

And Diamond does it again! This time the recalls are out for amuch larger region. Salmonella again!

Diamond May 2012 Recall

and my favorite all time killer, Natural Balance also has a new recall. Of course it's made by Diamond Pet Foods.

Natural Balance May 2012 Recall

#14 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

And did you know that people can get salmonella from dry dog food? FDA Link

#15 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

There have been some more dog food recalls lately.

July 2012 Pet Food Recall List.

Mostly excess levels of Vitamin D and Pedigree Weight Loss Canned food could have pieces of plastic in it that could be a choking hazard for your dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users