• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 endryer

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

I have received loads of advice from this website and from other sources but nothing seems to be working. I posted before on this site about my beautiful rescue puppy that was extremely sick and now he is full grown, healthy and somewhat of a monster. He has no ability to entertain himself unless he is destroying things but the biggest problem that I am having is that he goes into this sort of "fits" especially when you take something away from him that he is not supposed to have and he completely flips out. He jumps on me, bites at my hands and tries to even go for the face. He does not bite hard (yet) but has nearly broken my nose by jumping up and slamming into my glasses. When he is in this mode there is no stopping him. He has no concept of personal space and I am unable to even sit on the couch after a long day of work without him jumping up on me, biting my hands, or obsessively licking the couch next to where I am sitting. Commands do not work like they normally do when he is in calm mode and if you push him down he goes into one of his fits again where he is basically attacking me. He is so smart that I do not understand why he is having these behavioral issues. He is not neutered yet and so many people believe that is the problem but from the research I have done - I doubt that is the case. I have also had people tell me that he is just a puppy and they act out but this seems a little extreme. No one can come over and just sit down and relax with the dog around because he does this to company as well. He thinks hands are toys that he can mouth and pull on. I have tried everything and the more aggressive that I am with him the more aggressive he becomes. I have even pinned him numerous times which makes me uncomfortable and he submits immediately (seemingly by lying there and not moving and is not tense) and starts all over again when I stand up unless I hold him there for a very long time. We have tried removing ourselves from the room and when we come back in he acts fine but it has not stopped the behavior completely. I believe that this has become a game to him and I do not know how to make sure he knows this is no game and it will not be tolerated. I am begging for any suggestions because my home life has become completely miserable. I feel like I have tried everything.....is it just consistency? And which approach?

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

As you are finding out, it is important to train labs while they are still manageable.
I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How old is your dog right now?
2. Is he a full blooded lab or a Pit Mix?
3. Does your dog obey any commands at this time?

#3 endryer

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

As you are finding out, it is important to train labs while they are still manageable.
I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How old is your dog right now?
2. Is he a full blooded lab or a Pit Mix?
3. Does your dog obey any commands at this time?

Baylor is now 10 months old and he is a black lab/rottweiler mix (this is what we were told) but looks exactly like a full blooded lab. He obeys many commands and I would consider him significantly trained. He knows sit, lay down, speak, high five, shake, speak, we even say 'show me your belly' and he rolls over, he knows come, when I say 'bedtime' he walks to his crate and awaits his nightly small treat, a treat can be laid at his feet and he will not touch it until we say it is okay, He plays fetch and will leave the toy/ball at my feet, and loves people and playing with the dogs next door through the fence. He is great with our cats and even has bonded significantly with one of them though occassionally he begins to play too hard and paws with his feet or nudges the car with his nose. He just gets into these seemingly random episodes of wanted to jump and bite us especially the hands but if you hide your hands he can sometimes go for the face. This episode is almost always triggered from taking something away from him that he is not suppose to have but occassionally it happens regardless. I am only 5'2" so he is able to jump that high! Almost everytime I want to pet him or touch him he puts my hand in his mouth without biting just mouthing....but when he is in this so called "episodes" he is biting harder but not enough to cause the skin to break just red marks. He seems unable to entertain himself even after a lot of exercise and is constantly just trolling around looking for something to get into even though he has a million chew toys and other toys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users