• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mandi26

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hello i just got a black lab puppy born with no tail what so ever i was planning on buying the puppy but the breeder gave her to me free because of the birth defect is this going to cause health problems later on in life? like spine problems n so on? she has a lil stub of fur but no tail bone at all

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

This is a rather odd one. But to tell you the truth, there may be more problems coming down the road for this poor pup.
Some genetic defects don't show up until the dog is several years old. The lack of a tail may just be one of many defects this pup could possibly have. Genetic defects can be heartbreaking and very costly too. These can include muscular problems, vision problems, nerve problems, etc.
Reputable breeders are supposed to review the dogs to be used for breeding in advance of actually having pups to prevent things like this from happening.

I would hightail it out of this breeders premises.

#3 Mandi26

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

This is a rather odd one. But to tell you the truth, there may be more problems coming down the road for this poor pup.
Some genetic defects don't show up until the dog is several years old. The lack of a tail may just be one of many defects this pup could possibly have. Genetic defects can be heartbreaking and very costly too. These can include muscular problems, vision problems, nerve problems, etc.
Reputable breeders are supposed to review the dogs to be used for breeding in advance of actually having pups to prevent things like this from happening.

I would hightail it out of this breeders premises.

Thank you for your reply i am noticing she growls and snarls when i pick her up or move her when i need to i mean i dont pick her up n hold her 24/7 could she have a defect that way as well? i mean as being aggressive i had a black lab growing up and there wasnt a mean bone in his body and i have a boxer that never did this so im just kinda lost. Im worried about the puppy and taking her to the vet to talk about this but everone i talk to says oh shes just being a puppy....well i have never had a puppy snarl n attack my hand in a none playing way. Should i maybe take her to a lab rescue n adopt an older dog? I have children so this worries me. Any help or advice would help me big time

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yes, you should consult with your vet about these things. It would be in both your best interests.
As for the aggression, it could be your dog is testing you to see how far it can go. Or it could be a temperment problem. Or it could just be rough lab play. Labs do like to play rough. When your dog starts to act aggressive, just get up and walk away. Your dog will soon learn that you won't tolerate aggressiveness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users