• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TaylorSmile

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hello! I have a 17 week old black lap puppy who chews EVERYTHING! He has a million toys and is very closely monitored when running about. He has another dogs companionship and gets plenty of human interaction playtime, long walks, socialization, car rides, kisses, etc... He has mastered housebreaking so now I really need some help with all the chewing. Here is a list of what he has chewed (and by chewed I mean shredded) to date:

-all stuffed toys ever bought (we only buy rubber now)
-every dog bed ever bought for his crate
-towel that we used to replace previous fluffy dog beds
-kitchen rug
-bathroom rug
-door frame (from where I was sitting I could see everything but his head and I thought he was chewing on a toy- dumb me!)
-nice clothes that were apparently just within his reach near his crate
-my entire brand new bed spread one night while I was sleeping (he sleeps next to the bed in his crate and was able to get to a small corner and then pull half of it through the bars!)
-hands when petting
-toes if they are not covered

Haha I feel like I've tried everything.. replacing the object with a toy he can chew, buying the no chew spray (which he apparently LOVES the taste of by the way haha), saying NO when he bites my hands and walking away- giving him no attention, clicker training, tapping the nose, etc. I have been very consistent with each of these methods but nothing seems to stick with my doggie. Is there something I'm missing? On a brighter ending note he does sit upon command and also sits whenever I snap my fingers and say nothing. (I snapped a lot during training to keep his attention on me so I think that's just an awesome accident!

#2 Eleiy

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

Chewing normally stops after a while (when he chewed the rest of ur house lol) normally after their baby tooth has been replaced by their adult tooth. Although my 9 month old still chews every bed I bought him he seems to prefer lying on cold cement with just a blanket. Lol. Goodluck. Oh try another brand of those no chew spray some actually works.

#3 mdaniels09

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:15 AM

This is what I did and it worked great for me:

As soon as we adopted Kongo we started training with the verbal commands. No, leave it, and drop it came in very handy. We tried to keep everything up off the floor but if we did catch him chewing on something he wasn't supposed to, we looked straight at him and gave him a firm NO! We used a stern voice(not raising our voice, just very serious) that way he knew we meant business. After saying no we replaced the object with a chewie, and if he started chewing on it he got a "good boy" in a happy voice. If he kept paying attention to something he wasn't supposed to, and trying to go near it, we told him to "leave it." I even use this command on his walks when he tries to pick up debris. When we caught him with something in his mouth but he wasn't chewing(Kongo liked to drag stuff from room to room) he got "drop it." Drop it is also used when teaching how to play fetch. I watched him like a hawk(much like when potty training) that way there was very few times when I would find something already chewed up. He got kenneled at night and while he was home alone(make sure you are using a kennel appropriate for size) and we gave him ice cubes to chew on which he loved. A lot of exercise helped a lot too. We didn't waste money on a lot of "destructable" toys until he was done teething. His favorite toy was empty water bottles. We took the wrapper, lid and plastic ring off and let him go to town on it(while being supervised) until he was about 5 months old and started trying to shred it. With Kongo, he seemed to hate dissapointing us so he learned early on to not do the things that got the stern voice.

Like I said previously, this is what worked for my fiance and I. It didn't even take long at all. When we had problems with his seperation anxiety(thankfully I think it was just a phase) he would shred stuff in or near his kennel but like Kurt told me, you just have to make sure everything is up and away from his path of destruction. Everyone will have a different opinion about what you should and shouldn't do. Every dog is different. I hope this helps. Just remember, stay calm and dont give up.

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Labs are known for their chewing ability! I have seen a lab tear up the walls inside a house before! And that's a main reason there are so many in the shelters. But it can be controlled.

Dogs chew for three reasons:

Their teeth hurt from teething.
Boredom
Stress relief

It sounds to me like your dog may be teething. His gums are hurting from the adult teeth poking their way up through his gums. There are things you can do to help this. Such as rubber toys such as a Kong. The red colored on is the right consistency. Just make sure the size you select is not big enough for him to swallow. When you see him chewing on it, praise him liberally. Say Good Dog! If he won't chew on it, put a little peanut butter inside of it and he will be instantly attracted to it. You may also want to give him some ice cubes to chew on, these cool the gums and also provide pain relief.

Puppy proof your house. Don't leave things out that he can chew on. Dogs can't differentiate the difference between your things and his. He just looks at everything as a possible chew. And make SURE all electrical cords are hidden. You don't want him to get a hold of one of those! I've seen plenty of labs with burn mark scars on their lips because they chewed on a electric cord at one time or another.

You may also want to get him a Nylabone (smooth ones please) to chew on. One trick I have learned is that when you see him chewing on something of yours just say "No, Bad Dog!" and then place one of his toys in his mouth immediately and pet him and say "Good Dog!". He'll quickly learn that his toys are good and your possessions are bad.

And lastly, you can give your dog a fum massage. To do this first you must relax him. Catch him when he is tired. Flip him on his back and lightly and gently rub his belly for about 5 minutes. This will relax him. Then with your index fingers gently rub his lips against his gums in a circular pattern, starting at the front of the gums working your way back to the rear teeth. This will help him feel better quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users