Photo

lab with ear infection treating with polysporin ear drops.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

i bought polysporin ear drops for my dogs ear infection alot of people say it works the readness hasnt gone away but the pain seems to be less and a small part of the ear canal has started too change back to normal coulour the human dose is 3-4 drops 4 times a day ive been giving him 3-4 drops 3 times a day but it seems to be dripping out when he lays down so i lessening it to twice a day is that too much for a dog. are these ear drops even going too work. ive seen small signs of improvement like his ear isnt as tender he doesnt shake his head anymore except for right after the dose which is normal but his ear is still quite red and wet sticky it seems to be working but the ear is still very red so is it working. he doesnt seem to be in agony but his ear hasnt returned too normal coulour so im a little worried all its doing is releaving some pain. buddy has been getting it for the past 4 or 5 days.

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Treating dog ear infections is different than treating human ear infections. So you have to take a different approach.

When labs get ear infections, it's usually a yeast infection. You can normally see brown/black deposits in the ears and it has a particular odor to the ear. Humans don't get these kinds of infections so human ear medicine is normally ineffective in dogs ears.

Treatment of yeast infections in dogs normally requires the use of an ear wash to clear out the debris and make the ear and ear canal inhospitable to yeast bacteria. Then an anti microbial ointment is used to kill the yeast. Normally the treatment is clean the ear and apply ointment twice a day. Epi-Otic is commonly prescribed as an ear wash and Gentizol as a ointment. Depending on the severity of the infection it can take anywhere from 3 to 10 days to clear up a yeast infection in a dogs ears.

The reason labs get yeast infections in the first place is when water gets in their ears they can shake most of it out, but some is always left behind. Since their ear flaps cover the ear canal it's warm and moist in there, which is a perfect breeding ground for all kinds of microbes. So it is best to dry their ears the best you can after a bath or any swimming.

Our chocolate lab Sammy is prone to these kinds of infections as inside the ear (but outside of the ear canal) several of the folds of the ear flap overlap one another creating two "tunnels". Even though I dry out these areas with cotton swabs this is where the yeast starts in his ears. So I have found out that if after drying his ears out I tape both of the ends of the ears together on top of his head for a few hours. This lets air get inside the ear. Since I have been doing this he hasn't had any more problems.

Sometimes with severe infections a vet will also prescribe an anti-biotic to use along with topical medications. Ear infections are nothing to play around with. They need proper treatment.

#3 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

i understand what your saying buddy gets yeast infections all the time during the summer from going in the lake but i already checked the ear theres no debree therefore its not a yeast infection also did an ear mite treatment too rule that out any other ideas.

#4 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

the infection seems to be going away but there are secondary legions near the ear from scratching so im gonna clean it out cause theres a bit of a smell coming from it and put antibiotic ointment on the cuts not inside the ear. it was oosing and wet but but it dried up so that prob means the legions are healing.

#5 lb2

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

I agree with Kurt. My Missy had a lot of problems with yeast infections. She didn't have long floppy ears either. I used several prescription meds over the years and finally tried a homemade solution I got really good results with. I mixed vinegar and water and betadine. I read about it on site for cocker spaniels.

I wouldn't try treating it with medicine unless I was sure of what the infection was first. Yeast infections will have a bad odor and often there will be sores and legions from scratching. One thing that is helpful with the battle is feeding a wheat free food. Wheat/gluten is a leading cause of yeast infections in both humans and animals. I have celiac's disease so I know what I'm talking about. Acidophillus is helpful too. It will help control and cure. You can buy it for dogs. I just give mine one of my pills. They think it's a treat because I keep them in the fridge.

This was just a suggestion. I would try to see a vet to make sure of what you are dealing with. If this is your first time dealing with ear infections I would really suggest seeing a vet. Maybe you could just call and they could have you pick something up from a description, I do that a lot. I only have mine seen if I don't know what I'm dealing with. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

#6 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

buddy has a big soar below his ear not in or on his ear below from scratching that bleeds and i clean it with peroxide not the ear the soars from scratching and put polysporin on it he just scratched and broke it open and the blood was all over his fer but i remained calm cleaned it closed the soar and reapplied polysporin might haveto get a scratch collar.

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Chriryan:

I don't want to be harsh, but sometimes I have to be.
It's time to stop playing around with the home made remedies and take that dog to a vet for treatment! Your dog is miserable even though it may not show. It now sounds like your dog will now need to be put on antibiotics as well as ear medication. If you don't treat ear infections properly they may become chronic, meaning that you will always be fighting this and only get limited relief.

Now get moving!

#8 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

buddys alot better today kurt the ear looks good so does the soar from scratching not even red anymore.

#9 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:12 AM

buddys wearing a cone cause his cut is healing and itchy his inner ear infection is gone it wasnt yeast infection. hes now very compfortable kurt by the way buddy was always in good hands kurt i was talking to a vet the whole time please try not to overeact next time kurt.

#10 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

If you were in "constant contact" with a vet you wouldn't be posting here asking questions about this infection and that's the reason I responded as I did.

I have 50 years in the dog business and I have seen it all. Some people just want to "wait and see what will happen" when their dog has an illness. Or they try to treat it themselves to save money on a vet visit.

I am glad to see that your dog is getting better though.

#11 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

as of now hes fine just waiting for his scab too heal the vet said if the scab reopens its either infected or an abcess. i appreciate your concern for my dog kurt i was just frustrated with one thing going wrong with buddy after another and i stressed out i was at a bit of a frustration induced breaking point and i wont lie i thought about my cheque book. atleast i hope now that a cone is protecting his ear that its over. to be honest i dont think i would have the money if he needed care which scares me.

#12 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Those cones, or e-collars as some people call them will prevent your dog from scratching his ear. Hopefully he'll heal up in short notice and everyone can go back to being happy again!

#13 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:28 AM

the whole soar has now scabbed up nicely with no leaking or infection and buddys ear smells normal again although buddys going crazy trying too scratch the scab good thing those kong e collar brand cones are tuff.

#14 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

the vet put buddy on zymox otic it treats every type of ear infection he said wether its a yeast or bacterial infection. he said the polysporin drops are great for pain releif but will only releive the pain it wont treat the infection. he thinks its a bacterial or viral infection because of the lack of an odor or discharge. he said zymox otic should clear it up in 7-14 days. . he also has nose drops for a nasal infection he found cant remember the name of that off hand and he thinks it was caused by an allergic reaction nose infection that is. he also noticed his breath was bad and unfortunately had too pull a tooth. it was a very back tooth and the vet said buddy wont even notice the difference.
also found a small lump and it tested non melignent but was removed as a precaution. so went in for the ear problem walked out with a lanced tumor or lump and nose medication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users