• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ZADYSDADDY

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

I know that labs are good in cold weather ...but as a rule of thumb when is it too cold to leave them outside ?

"If there are no Labs in heaven...then when I die I want to go where they went."

#2 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

Firstly, welcome from Lincolnshire in the UK. You'll see that we love pics on here and we chat about pretty much everything to do with Labs (and other stuff in between!)

In terms of leaving your lab outside, I'd use your best judgement. My lab Tessa used to sleep in a kennel in the garden all year round although she had a 'hut' to retreat to at night and when it got cold with blankets in.
One of our members 'Violent Storm' offers some great advice when it comes to handling a lab so maybe he can give some suggestions....
Carolyne

#3 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:27 AM

Another big welcome - again from England.

I think there are few replies to your query, not because people aren't interested, but I think it's because maybe we need a bit more info or, like me, some may not feel really qualified to give you a definitive answer.

What is certain is that labs are very hardy and not phased by low temperatures per se. My layman advice would be that as long as the dog is already used to being outdoors and has shelter and some form of bedding available, then there should be few problems (but then again I don't know what temperatures have in Texas at night time, and also how old your dog is.)

Then I would advise you to get advice from someone who knows more than me.
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#4 ian

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:I'm a staff nurse. I assist in the training and re homing of dogs.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:49 AM

Hello again from the UK.

Dogs are a lot like us when it comes to cold weather. You will have to use your common sense when it comes to bringing the dog indoors. Dogs do get hypothermia and frostbite.

Personally i would bring em in, when the temp gets below 5-6 degrees. That's unless you have heat lamps in the kennel.
If it looks like it works and it feels like it works
Then it works

Mans best friend

#5 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

Isn't it the further north you get the thicker your blood is.. so you can deal with the temperature in your surroundings??? Or something like that?
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#6 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the nod Carolyne. Everyone has given some wonderful advise. If it was me I would follow it. First and foremost use common sense, If you don't want to sleep in that weather do not make your dog do it. Yes labs can handle extreme cold better than humans but why make them if you don't have to. As a general rule of thumb I would go with JM's advise. Heather I have never heard that before. But I will research it to find out.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users