Photo

8 week old, how much and how many times to feed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blacklabsam

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

I just got a 8 week old Black Lab, how much should I be feeding him and how often?
Thanks for any help.

#2 Littermate

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Congratulations on your new family member! When I got my lab pups I asked the prior owner what they were feeding (Iams Smart Puppy ProActive Health Giant Breed) and I went with the guidelines on the packaging. Iams stopped making that chow about 6 weeks later and we went to Iams Smart Puppy because that was the closest thing. This worked well for me and I would recommend it. With puppy chow it was a large volume of food for the pups so we broke it into 3 parts and fed 3 times a day.

When Iams stopped making their first food. They tolerated the switch with no issues so we started to introduce some other items to their diet -- carrots, turkey, cranberries, spinach, rice. Stools were a little softer but not runny and I take a softer stool as a sign that the dog is not dehydrated and is absorbing more nutrients. These days (the pups are 13 months) about ever 3rd meal is chicken or turkey and the other 2 are Taste of the Wild. If I had it to do over I might go to adult chow sooner than I did (7 months) because it is a lot less volume, has more options including higher quality and can avoid issues with growing too fast.

A couple other thoughts since this sounds like your first. The puppy stage goes much faster than I thought -- take plenty of pictures, enjoy it, hang in there when it is tough (it gets easier). Train early and often -- they love it. Reward calm -- feed when calm, start walks with calm and try to keep greetings fairly calm. Ring your own doorbell at random so they learn to ignore it. Teach "sit" right away because it is very handy and can help avoid unsafe situation for the dog (and you).

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

Great advice! This is a very commonly asked question. You can also ask your vet this question when your pup goes in for it's second set of puppy shots and when you pick up your heartworm preventative too.

#4 blacklabsam

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am feeding him Purina Pro Plan puppy @ 2 half cups a day, the previous owner said thats what he was doing. I like the idea of 3 times a day and dividing the full cup into thirds. I am trying to get him to follow me around the yard on a leash but he mostly just sits and looks around and he also wants to eat the flowers around the house and yard, any tips?

Here is a pic.

Posted Image

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

How long have you had your dog for? Just a day or two I imagine. It takes 72 hours for your sweet lovable pup to become the devil dog from hell! Don't worry, he'll be up running around before you know it. Enjoy your peace while you can!

You may want to read some of the puppy threads on this website for information about how to take care of your puppy and allowing him to get used to his new environment.

Congratulations on your new lab!

#6 imsopov

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

How long have you had your dog for? Just a day or two I imagine. It takes 72 hours for your sweet lovable pup to become the devil dog from hell! Don't worry, he'll be up running around before you know it. Enjoy your peace while you can!

Never a truer word spoken!

#7 Bea'sMom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

I'm a new black lab puppy owner too! I was going to post the same question so thanks! Here is a picture of Little Beatrice (or "Bea" for short). She turned 8 weeks old on Friday.

Attached Files

#8 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Blacklabsam:

Better watch out! The look on your dogs face looks like he is thinking "Just wait til' I grow up, I'll get you!". You may have a live wire on your hands! :huh:

Bea'sMom:

Awwww, aren't lab pups just too cute for their own good?

Just for reference, I feed my adult dogs twice per day. It seems to keep them from begging in the evening. Young Lab pups should eat thrice per day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users