Photo

What kind of food do you guys feed your Labs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rokafelar23

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

I have a 6 month old Black Lab named Halo. I would like to hear what people feed their Labs and how much, so that way I know that i am feeding him the right amount and the best food. Thank you

#2 TXLabLover

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

I feed mine California Natural Chicken & Rice

Shasta, who is 75lbs gets ~3 cups a day

Jack, who is about 55 lbs gets ~2 1/4 cups a day

#3 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

I"m feeding raw, Flynn the youngest gets 8oz meat (various, chicken/tripe/duck/venison/rabbit and fish once a week) plus 2 chicken wings in a morning and meaty sausage treats in the evening at training :)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#4 Chelsea0828

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm feeding my pup she's 3 months old now, Nutro natural large breed puppy food we feed her twice a day two 2/3 cups each feeding. We switched from Blue Buffalo.

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

We are currently feeding ours Nutro Weight Maintenance (to get rid of the weight brought on by Blue Buffalo) and Nutro Senior for Brandy, our 13 year old.

#6 Starmom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

I fed my Shepherd, Eagle pack his whole life and plan on the same with the Lab. However, I am concerned about how to feed him. I always kept Chevy's bowl filled and fresh and just let him eat at his leisure. There were never any issues of over eating or problems house training him as a pup. I do want to limit accidents and behaviors with this new puppy as much as possible so...how much should I feed him and on what sort of schedule? He'll be 8wks when we get him.
"The best vitamin to be a happy person is B1."

#7 Raven's Mommy

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

We have been feeding our two year old raw (chicken, pork, organ, beef, eggs). They are carnivores and do great (better I think) than on the dry food stuff.

#8 rbd63

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

has anybody heard of or have any thoughts about kirklands natures domain grain free dog food? i was thinking of starting my dog on it.

#9 Rath

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Art, Wine, Bourbon, Firearms, Hunter, Spoiling my pets.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'm feeding my pup she's 3 months old now, Nutro natural large breed puppy food we feed her twice a day two 2/3 cups each feeding. We switched from Blue Buffalo.

I'm actually in the process of switching over to Blue Buffalo, can you tell me why you switched?

#10 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

We have switched from Nutro to Innova/California Natural after Nutro had a recall and we found out that Nutro Foods is owned by Del Monte Foods. It seems whenever a major conglomerate gets a hold of a pet food the quality goes downhill fast as they try to cheapen the products to improve profit performance.

This is what happened in 2008 when so many dogs were poisoned with melamine in the Chinese sourced wheat gluten. Most of the dogs died from it.

And be careful with Blue Buffalo dog food. In some dogs it has triggered major allergic outbreaks and organ failure in others.

#11 Me&Jake

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Jake was one in April and is about 70 pounds. The vet said he is in great shape - very muscular. That being said, we feed him the Eukanuba puppy food, 2 cups 2x/day, morning and supper. Some days he doesn't eat the morning feeding until supper so I kind of go along with what he is doing. It's there if he wants it. We also (although we said we wouldn't) give him snacks so my guess is this is why he is sometimes slow to eat his own food.

I always kind of guessed at how much to feed but it seems to be working out. Jake has never gone hungry yet!

#12 lab123

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

We tried feeding Jake a raw diet a year or so ago, but he wouldn't eat it. He sat there and licked the chicken for a good half-hour but wouldn't bite and eat it. So we switched back to Blue Buffalo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users