Digging!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Evony

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Following my human sisters where ever they go, chasing bugs, and licking everyone.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'm about to strangle Ev! She's digging small holes all around the backyard. I'm sure they would be deeper if I don't catch her in time.
She's an indoor dog. And what I have come to realize is she is making the yard as her own. Everytime she goes out there she goes silly crazy. Running all over the place, dragging her blanket all over the yard, etc. The only way I can lure her back into the house is to shake a tupperware container that has some of her food in it.
Plus, our grass isn't growing much & it use to be very thick. Is that due from urine?

I've heard digging is natural for them but is there a way to get her to stop?

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

It sounds to me like Evi is bored and needs some more rigorous exercise.
Dogs need exercise not just for their bodies, but they need challenges for the brain as well to prevent boredom.
Have you tried taking Evi to a local dog park to play ball or frisbee with her? When you participate in play with your dog it not only bonds you two together well, but your dog enjoys the playtime even more!

As for digging, I would just put some of Evi's poop in each hole and then cover it with dirt. She won't like that and will soon stop digging. There is also a product on the market called "Boundary" which will stop Evi from going in certain areas where you don't want her.

What part of Dallas are you in?

#3 Poppysmum

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Training and dog agility for enjoyment. Anything lab. related!

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

I was always told, " To stop a dog digging..........................................take away the spade!" :lol:

Seriously though I agree with Kurt. It seems your dog needs mental stimulation. Playing hide and find it games is a good way of you not having to get stressed or having to run for miles.
What if there is no such thing as PMS and it's just me !!!!

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Poppysmum:

Great advice, I forgot about the "find it" game! It's a good exercise in dog thinking as well as reinforcing the "sit" & "stay" command.

Here is how to play "Find it!"

First tell your dog to "Sit & Stay". When your dog stays take a favorite toy and put it in the middle of the very next room while the dog is "staying". You may have to practice quite a bit to get the dog to stay, but eventually they'll learn. After placing the toy, come back into the room where the dog is and sit down. Wait about 15 seconds. Then say "OK! Find It!" and the dog will take off and find the toy and bring it back to you. When your dog does this make a big deal out of it with a "good boy!" and a treat. Repeat the exercise a few more times moving to toy to different places in the next room.

Over a period of a couple of days make the toy harder to find. Don't place it where the dog can't access it, but maybe under a table, or in the corner of the room.

After your dog gets really good at this, move the toy to a hallway or another room. Repeat for a few more days or weeks. By now you'll see that your dog is really enjoying this game.

Eventually, put the toy where the dog can't get to it. Maybe in a drawer, or under a mattress. Believe it or not, your dog will know where it is and will either sit down neat the toy. Sometimes they will often bark at the toys location. Repeat the proper praise.
You now have a game that will challenge the dogs mind as well as body. And believe me, our labs love this game!

#5 Evony

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Following my human sisters where ever they go, chasing bugs, and licking everyone.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

I walk Ev everynight & it it's not raining then we go to the dog park so she can go off leash.

The Hide & find game sounds fun. Thank you for suggesting that.
I was thinking we don't really go outside much since it got cold but, she knows we are now watching her from the window. And she'll look at the door to see if we're watching before she tries digging. She's pretty sneaky!
She doesn't care to retrieve balls & never has since we adopted her. So we'll use two balls - throw one & have her get it then coax her to us with our ball & then we throw that one & do a trade off. We're still trying to train her on bringing the ball back to us but it's been a challenge.

We're going to try placing her poop in the holes & will let you know what happens.

Thanks!

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

Does Ev live in the backyard? I mean, is she an outdoor dog?

#7 Evony

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Evony is an indoor dog.
She completely respects our house. She has her own toy box on the fireplace & has never touched any of my daughter's toys.
When we're sleeping or not at home she stays in a crate.
We taught her to ring a bell for when she needs to go outside. Since we adopted her in June she would just go outside to play, lay in the sun & go potty.
Just recently she started the digging the past month. She pulls up the grass roots & chews on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users