• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hossandpuck

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

We have an 8 year old lab, his name is Puck, and about 6 weeks ago we noticed that when he laid down for a while he would have a little trouble getting his back legs under him when he went to get up. It started getting a little worse about 4 weeks ago. When he is laying down and goes to get up, he kind of rocks back and forth to get his back legs under him and then walks a little funny for a few minutes. It almost seems like his back legs are falling asleep....

We took him to the vet, and the vet manipulated his back legs in a million different directions. Puck didn't act like any position bothered him at all. He doesn't whine or act like he is in any pain what so ever. It is, however, heartbreaking for him to look at me and my wife kind of like, "what is wrong with me?" when he tries to get up.

Has anyone else had this type of experience? If so, are there any treatments, supplements, etc. that helped? He is on glucosamine right now, but doesn't seem to be getting better.

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Your Puck may be getting arthritis in his joints and while the glucosamine is fine you might need a stronger joint supplement. Check out this website: http://www.entirelypets.com/nutsupforjoi.html I have used the Triple Strength Joint Max and recently moved up to the Re-Matrix supplement. The supplements work well but they take about 2 weeks to start helping once you put Puck on a regimen. Good luck.

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:39 AM

How much does Puck weigh? An overweight dog is more likely to develop problems with its joints than a normal weighted dog.
You may also want to ask your vet if Rimdyl may be beneficial for your dog.

#4 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

my dog cant put any weight at all on his back leg after rigourous excercise but then it calms down to a slite limp the next day and eventually its hardly noticible until he gets up after sleeping or slightly when he runs up the stairs. this sound common to your dog?

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

It sounds to me like it may be a popped knee joint. When you extend your dogs rear leg do you hear or feel a popping in his knee joint?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users