Photo

my dog has trouble with back leg after excercise or playing with friends dog.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

my name is ryan christensen i live in peterborough ontario canada my black lab buddy will play with my systers dog and be fine then he will go lay down then get up an hour later and be unable to put any weight on his back leg or with a bad limp. he is 6 years old healthy has all his shots including all specialy shots vaccines. this has been going on for the last couple months. the thing is it only happens after playing with the other dog it doesnt happen after his long walks or atleast isnt near as bad. he is a bit overweight. the thing is he will be fine tomorow like nothing happened well once it took 2 days then he was good as new. gave him half a aspirin regular strength. any clues?

#2 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi sounds very much like it could be a pulled ligament, you would be advised to see a vet as they often need a rest to help the condition improve... I'd try and get the weight down too as it won't be helping much. Try a couple of weeks lead walks only and see if the problem goes away? I don't give my dogs anything in the way of pain meds unless the vet is closed and I can't get access to advice until the next day, be careful what you give him, no Ibuprophen....
hope he's better soon and Merry Christmas :)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

Or it could be a popped knee joint.
To test for a knee joint lay your dog down on his side so the leg in question is on top. Now gently and slowly extend the leg out to the fully extended position. Do you hear a "pop" from the knee? If not try it with one hand on the knee joint and the other hand extending the leg. Did you feel the pop?
If not, the knee should be ok. Sometimes a popped knee will require surgery, other times it will not. Our Chocolate Lab Sammy popped his knee about a year ago. He'd start to run on three legs while playing ball. You could hear his knee "click" when we did the knee extension test. Our vet put him on Glucosimine twice a day and rest for a month. It took a couple of months, but her recovered and can run withing any limping at all.

#4 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

Or it could be a popped knee joint.
To test for a knee joint lay your dog down on his side so the leg in question is on top. Now gently and slowly extend the leg out to the fully extended position. Do you hear a "pop" from the knee? If not try it with one hand on the knee joint and the other hand extending the leg. Did you feel the pop?
If not, the knee should be ok. Sometimes a popped knee will require surgery, other times it will not. Our Chocolate Lab Sammy popped his knee about a year ago. He'd start to run on three legs while playing ball. You could hear his knee "click" when we did the knee extension test. Our vet put him on Glucosimine twice a day and rest for a month. It took a couple of months, but her recovered and can run withing any limping at all.

well i reached in were his leg connects past his knee on the inside of his leg and felt wright where it connects to his groin or hip im guessing and i got a serious reaction. could hee be not putting weight on because of a groin pull. no reaction to knee test

#5 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

well i reached in were his leg connects past his knee on the inside of his leg and felt wright where it connects to his groin or hip im guessing and i got a serious reaction. could hee be not putting weight on because of a groin pull. no reaction to knee test

well he had a strained back leg no popped knee joint no hip displasia no break no sprain no arthrites. and hes back to normal can play with the dogs at the off leash park for hours lay down when we get home and no limping hes good as new just kept him in the house for 7 days like the vet said. he can dive in and out of the lake witch he wouldnt do when he was limping. and the vet only charged me a little bit he could have really dinged me.

#6 Duke of Dunmore

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Variegated

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

my name is ryan christensen i live in peterborough ontario canada my black lab buddy will play with my systers dog and be fine then he will go lay down then get up an hour later and be unable to put any weight on his back leg or with a bad limp. he is 6 years old healthy has all his shots including all specialy shots vaccines. this has been going on for the last couple months. the thing is it only happens after playing with the other dog it doesnt happen after his long walks or atleast isnt near as bad. he is a bit overweight. the thing is he will be fine tomorow like nothing happened well once it took 2 days then he was good as new. gave him half a aspirin regular strength. any clues?

Jim Welles

#7 Duke of Dunmore

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

Ryan, I seem to have somewhat the same problem with my Lab. In fact, yesterday he was playing pretty roughly with another dog and had a bad limp afterward. Recently, I started giving him Synflex, a liquid Glucosamine to help with arthritis. Am not sure whether he actually has arthritis or something else wrong with his right hind leg, but he favors it intermittently. It seemed to be getting better until after yesterday's play. I may get him X-Rayed to see whether it is arthritis. If not, then it must be a ligament or muscle problem, I would think. In view of your dog's age and slight weight problem, I would certainly think it possible that he has arthritis, but I don't profess to be a Vet. My dog's problem seems to be intermittenty, so am puzzled also.
Jim Welles

#8 Duke of Dunmore

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

Jim Welles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users