Photo

What age should my dog start sleeping outside?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bennis

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

I have Vince who is a delightful 14week old, who currently is sleeping during the night in our sunroom.. Which is ok, except cleaning up his business from the previous night is getting a bit tiresome..

What age do people think that Vince would be ok sleeping outside on his own?
Its summer here in New Zealand, so its pretty warm at night and hes on a covered and sheltered porch in our fully fenced in section so hes all safe and what not...

So its just a matter of what age is best for him to make this move i guess??

Regards
Ben

#2 Lucky3

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

Have you considered putting him in a crate at night? Crate training will aid with potty training and make it easier to clean up in the meanwhile. I my opinion 14 weeks is too young to be left alone outside at night.
You can train a dog to be a good companion - but he chooses to be your friend.

#3 mikejay

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

my lab in 6 month old and sleeps outside in a brick out house. he seams to not mind and its winter time here! lol

#4 freyasmommy

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

I don't like my dogs sleeping out side. I personally feel they are my kids so I wouldn't want to sleep outside so why should they. Also I got my dogs to be inside, family dogs. I have crate trained both of my dogs, but my black lab (who is tiny at 40 lbs) she is 2 years old and I let her sleep in the room with us but my huskey mix has to stay in his kennel at night or I would wake up to a distroyed house. But 14 weeks is just way to young, they could get used to being outside all the time and no longer want to be inside with the family. Which could result in a distroyed house when you do let them in.

Faith

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

This subject has come up before several times.

For various reasons, I don't recommend leaving your dog outside at night. At 14 weeks he could become prey for a predator and is too young to defend himself. As he grows older he could find "entertainment" which I guarantee you won't like. Things like chewing on the house, digging holes in the yard, etc.

When dogs are left outside humans tend not to give them any direction. For a well behaved dog, they need direction from their owners. If you are going to leave the dog outside, why get a dog in the first place? It's summer in your location now, but what about winter?

#6 kaibei

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

i highly dislike putting your dog living outside, even tho you stay with them during the day, maybe!? but at night time, they need comapnion too, dont think they dont know when they are sleeping, my boy often open half of his eye to check us out to see what we are doing, thinngs like going to the loo and have a drink of water, he knows and he wont sleep again until we come back inside the room, and ask yourself why you want a dog at the first place? i come to conclusion with this answer is, you like them, if you like them ,then how can you stand they being left outside at night alone, if for protection, wont they stay inside give you more protection and alert!?

i been discuss this issue with some of my neighbours and other ppl who put the dogs sleep outside, they cant come up with a reasonable answer for this expcet keeping coming up excuse after excuse, how sad and poor for the pooches, if i have more time or money, i will buy them off from them. so please consider they are your family members, dogs are dogs, they need love and care, also rules and discipline, and we human are the one who draw all this for them to follow, just like when your own kid keep learning new things everyday, if they fail, you teach them again, and dog needs more time and patience, i learn a lot from my boy, i learn to be patience with him, even tho still not very good at it, but i'm trying, they know it and i bet their goal is to please us the owner.

sorry for the rant if i offend anyone :)

#7 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

I'm another who is against keeping dogs outside. Summer has a large cushion in the lounge and a basket in our bedroom. However she chooses to sleep underneath our bed, or if i work nights she sleeps on the end of the bed with my mrs. Besides, labradors are very social dogs so beimg left alone outside won't make for a happy dog.
If Vince does sleep in the porch, then you will still have to clean up his mess each day. At 14 weeks i think he should be nearing the end of his toilet training. Try walking him for 5 minutes just before you go to bed to give him chance to go to toilet.

#8 Almendra

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I love God and His Creation, His word the Bible is my life. I love animals, especially Dogs and Cats but I have none because my mom doesn't like animals. God bless you all!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

I'm against leaving a dog outside. They are like family and the only thing they offer is love and loyalty, so for me leaving my dogs sleeping out of the house is a no-no.

This is my experience when I had my lab.

He was a puppy and was separated from his mom so quickly (he only had like 2 weeks) so I couldn't leave him sleeping outside because he missed his mom. I took him to sleep with me in my bed. :) he was like a baby and as soon as I put him on my bed he stopped crying...anyways, he grew up sleeping in my room. many people don't like this and some say it's not healthy but for me it was the best choice I could have ever done.

My dog NEVER, not even once, did he urinate or made his "business" inside my room...it was his room too :) I always woke up at 5am because he was crying(meaning he wanted to pee!!) so it became a routine that at 5-6am i would take him outside for him to pee and poo hehe and at 10pm it would also be his last chance to go out and do his "business" . He became accustomed to it and my room was his room, he took care of it and never did a mess inside our room ^__^ I loved my precious baby. (he's not with me anymore T_T) also, he was the most caring in the family!! don't leave your dogs outside!!!

#9 Bennis

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:00 AM

Hey everyone and thanks for your feedback.

Not sure I agree with most of what your all saying. Had a few dogs before and they were great and never had and drama with them sleeping in garage of kennel, but I guess each to their own.. Vince has a great life so dont worry about saving him from cruelty.. Which I found somewhat offensive to be honest.

I wouldnt actually mind sleeping outside to be honest, camping is good fun and Vince has done a fair amount of it already. Hes family, but hes not a human, hes a dog.. Id suggest treating your dog like a human is doing them a massive disservice ..

Thanks guys and good luck !!

#10 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

I think you missed the point of our replies. My main concern was that you were considering putting a 14 week old puppy outside. At that age they are not fully developed and need more protection from the elements and possible prey that may fancy your dog as dinner.

We are sorry if you were offended by our responses, but I think that you probably need to do some reading about responsible pet ownership.

#11 kaibei

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

maybe he chose the wrong breed of dog! simple as that! :(

Good Luck to you and to your puppy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users