Will my lab get jealous

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Remington

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:I am a mountain man. I enjoy doing everything with my dog (Remmie). I spend most of my time outside riding my 4 wheeler, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

We have had our Lab for 3 years now and he is a big teddy bear and great with other kids and babies.

My question is. My wife is pregnant with our first child. What are the chances of our dog getting jealous or even lashing out at our baby?

We have had him around my best friends new born and he just licked her forehead then layed down next to her. I didn't know if it would be different if one of his masters had a baby and diverted attention from him to the baby. I still plan on giving my dog just as much attention as I do now after the baby is born, I hope that will calm his jealously.

#2 JBG

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

I suspect they're gentle enough that they should be good natured with the baby. Especially when the lab learns that the baby is important to the parents.

#3 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Congratulations on the good news. I can only speak from my observations with Perry. He was never totally around babies or small children but each time he is he becomes a different dog - in a very good way. He is gentle to a fault, if the toddler tries to throw the ball - they never go more than about a foot away - Perry will wait until the ball lands and then oh so carefully bring it back and drop it at the childs' feet. When a friend had a new baby she brought her daughter to my house in one of those baby carriers. Much to my horror, before I could say anything, she put the baby right down at face level with Perry to let him see her. (I later told politely to never do that again with any dog.) Perry just sniffed the baby and sat down beside her like to keep watch over her. He just amazes me with how gentle he treats babies and small kids.

Remmie will be fine with the new baby. Just be sure he gets to sniff all the new baby stuff so he knows that this wonderful little person is part of his pack.

#4 JBG

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Congratulations on the good news. I can only speak from my observations with Perry. He was never totally around babies or small children but each time he is he becomes a different dog - in a very good way. He is gentle to a fault, if the toddler tries to throw the ball - they never go more than about a foot away - Perry will wait until the ball lands and then oh so carefully bring it back and drop it at the childs' feet.

So I gather labs know the difference between a child and an adult in modulating their play?

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

So I gather labs know the difference between a child and an adult in modulating their play?

Most labs definitely will.
I have observed our labs playing in the park with little kids around. The kids want to play ball with them. The kids are 4-6 years old.
The labs seem to slow down their play. They drop the ball in front of the kids for them to pick it up. With adults you have to take it out of their mouths. They seem to act very gentle with the kids.
So yes, most labs get along with kids very well. It has been my observation that labs are usually jealous of other labs when it comes to affection time. They just butt each other out of the way.

#6 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

Congratulations!!
Labs make great 'parents' you just need to make sure he gets plenty of attention of his own still. My doctor was great when I came home from hospital with my babies, he always made a fuss of the dogs first before looking at the babies. The dog ended up being the greatest step-parent ever, used to sit by the pram and tell me if they woke up (twins!) Just make sure you never ever leave them alone together though, no matter how well you know your dog you never know what a toddler might do to upset him ;)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#7 JBG

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Just make sure you never ever leave them alone together though, no matter how well you know your dog you never know what a toddler might do to upset him ;)

First, is that even realistic? Second, isn't it true that those animals won't hurt a child even if the child pulls the dog's tail?

#8 Niki

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

I have my black lab who turns from lion to lamb when he's around my kids 5,2, and 1. My two year old can put her hand right in my dog's mouth to grab his tennis ball and my dog automatically lets go. He will go and lay down next to her on the floor and they have even taken an accidental nap with my 2 year old with her arm around him. My one year old doesn't know boundaries and tries to use him as a jungle gym or might get ahold of his ears or tail, and not once has my dog ever even acted like he cared one tiny little bit. In fact after we redirect our daughter, he makes it a point to go back up to her and have her attention again. My 3 human children are crazy and my canine terror is crazy when it comes to adults. But he definitely knows the difference between an adult and a child and acts accordingly. In fact, it is the one and only area of my dog and his training that I have absolutetly no problem with whatsoever. He even acts like a baby gate when my one year old even acts like she is walking towards the stairs lol. Just make sure you pass the love around to both baby and pup, and when the baby can talk, make sure you have him or her tell the dog to sit and other simple tricks and give the pup a treat. That way the dog knows that hey not only do I watch out for this little one but they are above me in the pack too so I gotta listen. Sometimes I think my dog listens better to my 5 and 2 year olds than he does me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users