4 replies to this topic

#1 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

My black lab Summer has recently started scratching and licking herself, especially around the neck, ears and back (near tail). I tried to look for fleas, which was not easy as she has really thick fur at the moment, and her skin is quite dark. But i couldn't find anything. The lady in the pet shop looked in her ears but found no fleas.
Anyway, I gave her a shower with a flea shampoo on Monday. Wednesday i gave her a flea treatment, applied to her skin between the shoulders. Now almost a week later she is scratching and i cant really understand why. The cat is not scratching and there are no signs of fleas on him either.

Anyone have any idea why my dog could be so itchy? She has no other health problems.

Thank you in advance, Michael & Summer.

#2 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Ok, today I've just bought some Johnson's Flea tablets, they claim to start working in 15 mins and have full effectivity in 24 hours. I also bought a flea collar that keeps fleas at bay for 5 months. Hope this sorts everything out for her, we been at home for an hour or so and she has not been scratching yet.

Would still appreciate any advice though.

Cheers, Michael & Summer

#3 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

Personally I'd only use flea stuff form the vet or "Billy No Mates" herbal food supplement for unwanted guests, you could also try mixing a little garlic in the food once a week.
The stuff you but in the supermarkets can also make them itch as well so at least if you get the vet treatment you know it's fine to use, or if not, you can monitor what works?
There are lots of funghii around at the moment, perhaps it's spores causing the itching? Hope Summer is OK very soon :)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#4 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

Personally I'd only use flea stuff form the vet or "Billy No Mates" herbal food supplement for unwanted guests, you could also try mixing a little garlic in the food once a week.
The stuff you but in the supermarkets can also make them itch as well so at least if you get the vet treatment you know it's fine to use, or if not, you can monitor what works?
There are lots of funghii around at the moment, perhaps it's spores causing the itching? Hope Summer is OK very soon :)

The tablet i gave her this morning seems to be working well. Summer's scratching is vastly reduced. The treatment was recommended by our local pet shop owner, who is also a lab owner.

Regards, Michael & Summer

#5 Joe The Manatee

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

Those Johnson's Flea Tablets are the same ingredient as what we have in the US called Capstar. They will kill all the fleas on the dog in a few hours but don't kill eggs or the fleas that jump on the dog after that. They are OK to use with most other products. I usually give one about 4 hours before applying a spot-on that works for 30 days. You might not have given your spot on time to kill the fleas they can take 24 to 48 hours, or you might have applied it too soon after bathing the dog. You shouldn't bathe the dog for at least 72 hours before applying a spot-on product because the spot-ons need the dog's hair to be full of its natural oils in order for them to work properly. Be careful with the flea collar if you have applied a 30 day spot on recently. The combo of the two might not be compatible or might be too much.

Do you have boric acid products there like Flea Stoppers or Flea Busters that you can work into any carpet you have? If you have any carpet I'd treat it with a boric acid product. Works for a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users