• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 (bubba)

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

first time i have ever kept a dog in the house and now it's beginning to smell like a dog ....Sooo i was wondering how often to give Toby a bath and what is best to use ??? Some say to much bath and it will dry out there skin ??? any sugestions will be appreciated ..

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

How often do you vacuum? Usually it's the dog hair that is laying around that smells. Make sure you vacuum under the furniture too.
Our dogs like to lay in the sofa. We put towels over the cushions so they don't lay directly on the cushions. Once a week all the towels get washed.

Also have any of the dogs pottied in the house? If so, you may need to put a urine remover on the spots. Once urine gets down to carpet padding it can get very smelly.

Also a light spray of Fabreeze on the carpet and furniture helps too.

#3 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

One thing that I have found useful is candles. I must admit to a small candle addiction, even before we got Joe, but after we got Joe I used them even more. Almost any time we are in the house I have a candle lit.

#4 Joe The Manatee

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

One thing that I have found useful is candles. I must admit to a small candle addiction, even before we got Joe, but after we got Joe I used them even more. Almost any time we are in the house I have a candle lit.

I"m kind of addicted to the candles too. My veterinary clinic sells some that are just wonderful - too convenient!

#5 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

I'm no expert, but I believe over-bathing can damage the fur's waterproof qualities rather than the skin. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
We normally shower Summer about every 6 weeks, with either a proper dog shampoo or Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Although we have never had any problem with her smelling, she does love to roll in the mud when we go to the park.

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:48 AM

A couple we know has a large deck on the back of their house. It is just mounted a few inches off the ground. They also have a black lab. After about a year the deck started to stink really bad. Especially when it rained.

What happened is that the area under the deck was full of dog hair that fell down between the cracks. They had to pull a couple of boards up and remove the built up hair. After they removed the dog hair the odor went away.

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:11 AM

You are absolutely right Mike, dogs should not be over bathed. they should get washed only when they start to stink. Ours get a bath about every three months in the winter and about once per month during swim season, just to put some moisturizing rinse on their coats to protect from the chlorine in the pool.

Overbathing can lead to dry skin and dandruff. And always try to use a gentle dog shampoo on them. They are ph balanced for dogs coats. We like to use tearless puppy shampoo on all of our dogs.

#8 FreeDogTips

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:26 AM

Here are some things I find helpful with dog smells. I am not suggestion you do all of them, jut the ones that suit you.

• A bit drastic, but one of the biggest changes I found was that hard floors are better at keeping down smells than carpet.
  • You can use powdered carpet freshener, the stuff you shake onto the carpet, then vacuum off. Get the smell neutralising ones. They not only smell nice themselves, but also neutralise some of the doggy smell.
  • If using an airborne freshener, use essential oils in a burner (you can get pet safe diffusers). Quite a few of the oils also neutralise the odour as well as smell nice.
  • If you get essential oils, put a few drops on a bit of tissue or cotton wool, and suck it into the vacuum cleaner, if you use a 'bag vacuum', when you are cleaning the house. (Do NOT do this if you have a plastic bag less vacuum cleaner, the oils will damage it). The cleaner fan will put out nice smelling air as you clean the floors. You will need to put oil in it every time you vacuum as it evaporates fairly quickly.
  • You can get some pet disinfectants / odour killers, the ones that are used in kennels etc. Buy a good quality one, dilute it down, and use it in a spray bottle. Then spray it about the house every day or two.
  • Use the same disinfectant, and put it is a water based air conditioner if you use one.
  • If you are concerned about washing your dog too often, then when the dog isn't too physically dirty, just use water, and no shampoo. This will take away some of the smell, without taking too much oil out of the coat.
  • When doing dusting, and other cleaning around the house, use fragranced cleaning sprays.
  • On nice days, open doors and windows to circulate the air better.
  • On nice days when I am at home, my dogs frequently go out into the yard for a fair bit of the day. It not only gives them a change of scenery, and people to pat them on the way past. But, as we know on hot days dogs are smellier - so put them outside in the fresh air and not in the house.

I hope some of these point can help.

Paul
Free Dog Tips Newsletter, with helpful information for pet dog owners. Includes training, heath and general care of your pet dog. Sign up at: www.DogTipsNewsletter.com

And / Or Follow me on Twitter: @FreeDogTips

#9 labbies74

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

How often do you vacuum? Usually it's the dog hair that is laying around that smells. Make sure you vacuum under the furniture too.
Our dogs like to lay in the sofa. We put towels over the cushions so they don't lay directly on the cushions. Once a week all the towels get washed.

Also have any of the dogs pottied in the house? If so, you may need to put a urine remover on the spots. Once urine gets down to carpet padding it can get very smelly.

Also a light spray of Fabreeze on the carpet and furniture helps too.

I have found this to be the case also. I have two black labs and they do their share of shedding. I try to vaccuum 2xs a week, but in reality it's more like once a week. I use a Dyson pet hair vaccuum and it does a remarkable job. Worth the investment!

#10 Ernie

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

I agree with many suggestions here, vacuum, use febreeze on the furniture & carpet and don't bathe your dog too frequently -- I also use a "doggy freshening spray" on my Ernie. He's not very happy about it, but it does make him smell better!
Posted Image

#11 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

If you have a HEPA filter on your vacuum with activated charcoal in it your vacuum shouldn't smell when using it.
We have a Miele S314i vacuum, it's the dog & cat hair model. It gets every bit of dog hair out of the carpet. It runs so quiet you can hear the clinking of the dirt going up the hose.
It's the best vac we have ever owned. And it does have a charcoal HEPA filter in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users