• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snakeeyesgator

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

My 11 year old black lab, Gator has been having many problems over the past couple of weeks. He has been panting alot (even though he is in the AC at all times except bathroom breaks) and has been coughing with a choking, strangling sound occasionally. I took him to our vet on Wednesday (7/28) and they ran many test and did xrays and ultrasounds to look at his heart and lungs. Those all looked good, his liver enzymes came back slightly elevated (3 points). He is a bit overweight, he weighs 107 pounds, he is a large dog anyway but needs to lose 15 pounds. He eats 2 solo cups of Iams weight control dog food, the vet is doing a thyroid panel to look for hypothyroidism. He was also started in Rimedil 100mg for arthritis. He took a dose Wednesday and Thursday.
On Friday morning he wouldn't get up and wouldn't eat, we stopped the rimedil and called the vet. He seems a little better today and is moving a little more but he still won't eat, and this is a dog who LOVES food!! He is drinking water. He also id going outside and staying for a very long time compared to his normal, he is now staying 45 min as opposed to 5-10 min, I am not sure if he has had a BM, any thoughts?

#2 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

I'm presuming the vet looked down his throat/airway to make sure there was no obstruction? He could have eaten something that hurt his throat so he's associating eating with pain but I doubt it in an 11 year old...it could be viral and at least he's drinking. It sounds a bit medical for my generalised opinion, but good luck, hope you get to the bottom of it and he feels better soon :mellow:
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

If the vet ran a basic metabolical panel, have him review the kidney creatine & bun. Also look closely at the blood sugar levels.

107 lbs is very large lab. That's a lot of weight to carry around for a dog that old.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't use IAMS dog food on him. I'd switch over immediately to a more holistic type of food designed for weight loss. There are several on the market.

Please keep us posted on what your vet finds. It could very well be thyroid problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users