• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KellyMac

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

I am having a problem with our 2.5 yr old Lab Riley. 2 months ago she went to get groomed (as she has multiple times before with no issues). The girl recommended a shed free shampoo. Riley was find. 3 weeks later Riley began to scratch her ears...to the point they were bleeding! Off to the vet we go, they did a skin scraping, exam, etc. They said she had a rash/allergies. They gave her antibiotics and predsione. 2 weeks later, she was a little better but the rash was a little better. Just really dry skin. Now, she has red bumps all over, with dry skin, itching like crazy. Vet said to give her 1 Zyrtec once a day 10 mg. All that is doing is making her dopey. She is still scratching like crazy.

I gave her an oatmeal bath, didn't do anything. She STINKS as well and she is greasy. She use to have the nicest softest coat.

She is also getting small bald spots.

A friend of mine said it could be her dog food?

If this is true, can anyone recommend one? We are feeding her Iams large breed and she seems to like it. We also give her Iams treats and bacon strips (beggin strips?) that she loves.

PLEASE HELP!!!

#2 delvo

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Switching foods could definately help. Corn is one of the biggest contributors to allergies in dogs, and corn meal is one of the primary ingredients in Iams large breed for dogs. If you going to switch, make sure you switch to a grain free food. If your on a tight budget and its in your area chicken soup for the dog lovers soul for large breed would be a good investment to try.

#3 11inlove

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

I just had to put my 8 yr old black lab to sleep on Monday...HORRIBLE!!! Anyway, I stumbled across this site and clicked on health issues to see if anyone else has a lab experiencing what my dog went through. What you are describing is exactly what Molly went through. She started with skin allergies at the age of 2. We tried EVERYTHING. We tried antihistmines, allergy shots, lotions, change in diet, sprays, all kinds of stuff and the only thing that seemed to work was prednisone. Steroids are a short term solution and we knew that so we took her to a pet dermatologist to run tests to see what she was allergic to. Come to find out the only thing she wasn't allergic to was grass. Our vet said some dogs allergies are so severe nothing works and they have to be put to sleep so if we could give her 6-8 more yrs with the prednisone at least she'd have that. We kept her on prednisone for 6 yrs...it wore her muscles and joints down so much. She did have 6 more good yrs but in those yrs had to have 2 acl surgeries and then last Friday broke her leg again. Her arthritis had gotten so bad from the steroids that they said her body couldn't handle the recovery of the surgery. She had been through SO much and as much as I'm heartbroken without her and wish she was here I know she isn't in pain or itching anymore so that gives me piece.

I'm telling you this b/c on Friday...3 days before we put her to sleep, my close friend told me to try this thing called "dinovite" with her. She said that her dog started having the same symptoms as Molly and she knew of someone else's dog who had been through the same thing. She found it online and its a natural supplement you add to the food. It comes in liquid or powder and helps their coat, skin, breath and other things so much. Its a money back guarantee so if it doesn't work you can send it back. She said the powder works the best but for both her dog and her friend's dog it worked and they were off steroids and allergy free and smelling good again. I ran out of time with my dog, but if I could go back to when she first had allergies and I had known I would have tried it. I don't think you can get it through the vet but if you google dinovite it will come up. Its a money back guarantee so seriously why not? I HATE that my dog isn't here anymore and I know its b/c of steroids as a result of HORRIBLE skin allergies. We put SO much money and worry into her and I would do it all again tomorrow...I don't regret that but I still feel like did I do enough, did I miss something. I would have tried this to get her off steroids if I thought it would help. Its a totally natural product. I know the food is a big part of allergies as well...the corn is a big problem...so that is also something to try.
I hope you find something to help your lab so she doesn't have to go through what my dog went through. They are the best dogs...hug and love on her as much as you can b/c time goes by too quick! GOOD LUCK!!

I am having a problem with our 2.5 yr old Lab Riley. 2 months ago she went to get groomed (as she has multiple times before with no issues). The girl recommended a shed free shampoo. Riley was find. 3 weeks later Riley began to scratch her ears...to the point they were bleeding! Off to the vet we go, they did a skin scraping, exam, etc. They said she had a rash/allergies. They gave her antibiotics and predsione. 2 weeks later, she was a little better but the rash was a little better. Just really dry skin. Now, she has red bumps all over, with dry skin, itching like crazy. Vet said to give her 1 Zyrtec once a day 10 mg. All that is doing is making her dopey. She is still scratching like crazy.

I gave her an oatmeal bath, didn't do anything. She STINKS as well and she is greasy. She use to have the nicest softest coat.

If this is true, can anyone recommend one? We are feeding her Iams large breed and she seems to like it. We also give her Iams treats and bacon strips (beggin strips?) that she loves.

PLEASE HELP!!!

#4 sakimano

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

sounds like spam to me. Anyone else?

I just had to put my 8 yr old black lab to sleep on Monday...HORRIBLE!!! Anyway, I stumbled across this site and clicked on health issues to see if anyone else has a lab experiencing what my dog went through. What you are describing is exactly what Molly went through. She started with skin allergies at the age of 2. We tried EVERYTHING. We tried antihistmines, allergy shots, lotions, change in diet, sprays, all kinds of stuff and the only thing that seemed to work was prednisone. Steroids are a short term solution and we knew that so we took her to a pet dermatologist to run tests to see what she was allergic to. Come to find out the only thing she wasn't allergic to was grass. Our vet said some dogs allergies are so severe nothing works and they have to be put to sleep so if we could give her 6-8 more yrs with the prednisone at least she'd have that. We kept her on prednisone for 6 yrs...it wore her muscles and joints down so much. She did have 6 more good yrs but in those yrs had to have 2 acl surgeries and then last Friday broke her leg again. Her arthritis had gotten so bad from the steroids that they said her body couldn't handle the recovery of the surgery. She had been through SO much and as much as I'm heartbroken without her and wish she was here I know she isn't in pain or itching anymore so that gives me piece.

I'm telling you this b/c on Friday...3 days before we put her to sleep, my close friend told me to try this thing called "dinovite" with her. She said that her dog started having the same symptoms as Molly and she knew of someone else's dog who had been through the same thing. She found it online and its a natural supplement you add to the food. It comes in liquid or powder and helps their coat, skin, breath and other things so much. Its a money back guarantee so if it doesn't work you can send it back. She said the powder works the best but for both her dog and her friend's dog it worked and they were off steroids and allergy free and smelling good again. I ran out of time with my dog, but if I could go back to when she first had allergies and I had known I would have tried it. I don't think you can get it through the vet but if you google dinovite it will come up. Its a money back guarantee so seriously why not? I HATE that my dog isn't here anymore and I know its b/c of steroids as a result of HORRIBLE skin allergies. We put SO much money and worry into her and I would do it all again tomorrow...I don't regret that but I still feel like did I do enough, did I miss something. I would have tried this to get her off steroids if I thought it would help. Its a totally natural product. I know the food is a big part of allergies as well...the corn is a big problem...so that is also something to try.
I hope you find something to help your lab so she doesn't have to go through what my dog went through. They are the best dogs...hug and love on her as much as you can b/c time goes by too quick! GOOD LUCK!!

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:53 AM

After reviewing this post, I think that 11inlove was just trying to pass on some information about a product she found helpful.
Usually if it is spam, it'll come up again pretty soon. But I am going to give this user the benefit of the doubt.

Besides there is no link to any specific website, only a product name. Users are allowed to mention products that have worked for them.

#6 lyndeegrrl

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

I agree with switching the food; make sure it is to a different protein source (i.e. you are currently feeding duck and potato find something without duck in it). Also olive oil on their food helps to keep skin supple from the inside out and encouraging them to drink more water is thought to help as well. I mix a small amount of chicken stock with a cup of water--my dog sees it as a treat and I get him to drink more--a win, win for all.

Also, if your pet is having hotspots I put emu oil on it. Comes in a spray and provides relief fast.

Keep us posted. Allergies and symptoms like this are very common for labs and because they are so big drugs like Atopica (which dosing is based on weight) can get really expensive $200-$600 a month. I always try home remedies first if at all possible.

~Lyndee

#7 Joe The Manatee

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:36 AM

Honestly, what you are describing sounds like to me sarcoptic mange. It is often difficult to identify the mite in skin scrapings.

But it could just as well be allergy to any number of things. Skin conditions are very frustrating. Allergy to a food ingredient would be least likely but if you want to change the food you might try California Natural as it has very few ingredients, and the only grain is rice. That's what my allergy dog eats and I think it has helped. I bathe him in Tropiclean OxyMed oatmeal shampoo and oatmeal treatment rinse when he is very itchy and also use their itch spray. The shampoo and conditioner relieves the itching completely for about 24 hours and pretty good for the second and third day. Fatty acids are very important so I give him either Grizzly Salmon Oil or Carlson's Salmon Oil capsules. It takes a number of weeks for fish oil to make a difference. For his antihistamine I use benadryl. If Zyrtec does nothing it might pay to ask about trying another. You might have to try several.

It sounds like the problem is pretty severe. Maybe she wasn't on antibiotics long enough to clear up the underlying bacterial skin infection she probably had, or she needs them again.

#8 FreeDogTips

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hi

It really could be a one many things.

An outside allergen such as pollen, new washing solution used to wash her bedding, a chemical cleaner used in your yard. A pesticide used on local bushes, plants etc.

It could be an internal disorder and the itchy rash is simply an outward sign of the internal. Who knows what the internal problem could be. Maybe a blood disease?

Maybe a parasite which wasn't spotted by the vet's analysis?

Or it could be the food. I work with different food companies and have done for years. And, yes it could be the food. I am not saying that Iams is not a good food. I am just saying it may not be agreeing with your dog at this time.

Some things for you to try are:

• Change her food to a good quality 'hypo allergenic food'.
  • Regulary bathe her using Evening Primrose oil shampoo, or Tea Tree Oil shampoo.
  • Ask the vet to change her antihistamine tablets.
  • Check if you have used any different washing detergents etc in her bedding, or somewhere else she likes to lie.
  • Are you using the same single bag of food since this started? It may be something in that batch of food.
  • Take her off too many treats.
  • Give her natural treats, and not processed ones.
  • Has there been any insect or similar spraying in your neighbourhood? If so keep her away from those areas.
  • Does she regularly go to someone else's house? A friend, dog walker etc? It could be something there.
  • Give her Evening Primrose oil as a supplement in her food.
  • I assume she drinks water. And not milk, or some sort of doggie health drink.
  • Do local kids play with here? If so are they feeding her things that she shouldn't be eating?
  • Is she eating berries from a tree or bush when she is out?
  • Are there any rivers near that may be infected?
  • Are there any areas where she may come into contact with sewage?

Sorry for the long list, but as I said, it could be anything at all.

If all else fails, then go to another vet for their opinion.

Paul
Free Dog Tips Newsletter, with helpful information for pet dog owners. Includes training, heath and general care of your pet dog. Sign up at: www.DogTipsNewsletter.com

And / Or Follow me on Twitter: @FreeDogTips

#9 Skylos Sobaka

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:German Shepherds

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

I too have heard of this kind of symptom being grain allergy, food alergy related.

I feed my german shepherds all raw meat. Yes, this is nutritious for them. Yes I feed them organ meat as well as muscle meat and always with the bone included - since they were little tiny puppies. It is good for them. It is what carnivores are evolved to eat. Their meals consist of two pounds of raw chicken with bones, per dog, per day. (two pounds is 2-3% their adult weight, 75 pounds, your breed is similar)

Dogs are carnivores - look at their teeth. These are not grain mashing teeth. These are bone crushign and meat tearing teeth. Wolves and their selectively bred descendants, dogs, did not evolve eating vegetables and grains - in fact, until the advent of modern dog foods produced by commercial industry, guess what dogs were fed?

*MEAT*! Raw meat, generally, with bones. Really!

Guess who provides the material for and funds the teaching of nutrition to veterinarians?

Yup, the companies that produce the commercial food. What motivation do they have to teach the carnivore dogs should eat meat. In fact, they've so well ingrained their self-serving interest of nutrition through mass-produced cheap dog food based on corn and grains and vegetable fillers of little nutritional value to the animals that people often don't even realize that dogs CAN eat - and thrive on - raw meat and bones. Its tricky and perilous to properly feed a dog on grains - no wonder they say its tricky and requires their scientific knowledge. Even then they don't have an answer when the dog is allergic. They don't bother telling us it is really very easy to give a dog proper nutrition - you merely feed the dog meat and bones.

My bet is this; on a raw meat and bones diet your dog's itchy problems will go away. This isn't switching from corn to wheat to rice to potato, etc. This isn't as easy for you or as cheap as mass produced dog food. This isn't even the 'barf' diet that some advocate that has useless raw vegetables in it.

Just Raw meat and bones. For your doggy's sake, this is what her species is designed to eat and digest. (this isn't to say she won't get the runs for a little while as she adjusts to eating her proper food)

Hoping your dog gets the chance to eat real food,

Skylos with Akando and Banshee, raw fed, beautiful and healthy german shepherd dogs.

Here is a picture of Akando himself at about 8 weeks old, enjoying one of the first raw meals I gave him. His breeder raw fed him too. Posted Image

#10 emmysheep

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

we had similar issues with Misha. She had Parvo and a puppy and sinec then has allergies and a very weak digestive system. She is now on raw and has been for 6 months. No more ithcies, no more benedryl, no more soft stools. I'm sold a agree with the last poster. Misha gets lamb (neck or flank) on day and an organ and veggie balancer another day. We found an amazing ladie who deliver the raw food right to our door and makes everything herself from scratch. Too bad she is up here is Canada...

#11 Dawn02

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

PLEASE HELP!!!

My black lab also has skin allergies. I began when she was about 2 years old. I'm not sure what caused it but she has allergies just like we do. I've changed her dog food. We use Blue Buffalo Dog food. It has no grains or fillers. All natural. She is always licking and itching herself. I've tried everything. Vet gives her antibotics for the infections and an anti-inflammatory for the itching. It's not prednisone. I also clean her feet when she comes in from being outside. I use a special shampoo from the vet. I'm very particular about what we feed her. Look at the ingredients. Good luck and I wish you well. Let me know if you find anything that works well for you.

#12 chriryan

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

My black lab also has skin allergies. I began when she was about 2 years old. I'm not sure what caused it but she has allergies just like we do. I've changed her dog food. We use Blue Buffalo Dog food. It has no grains or fillers. All natural. She is always licking and itching herself. I've tried everything. Vet gives her antibotics for the infections and an anti-inflammatory for the itching. It's not prednisone. I also clean her feet when she comes in from being outside. I use a special shampoo from the vet. I'm very particular about what we feed her. Look at the ingredients. Good luck and I wish you well. Let me know if you find anything that works well for you.

buddy uses the carpet atleast once a day to scratch his nose or face but he doesnt seem to suffer through out the day. like he will drive his face write across the carpet. any thoughts.

#13 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

My Perry does the "Snout Rub" also. I don't think it is an itchy issue. Perry does it right after he's been fed or anytime he's extremely happy about something - friend's visit, new tennis ball, etc. He's done this his whole life. We even made up a song about it:

"Butt in the air
Nose on the ground
Wiggle and a wigglin'
Around and around

He's a snout rubbing dog..."

#14 rainbowlabs

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

Someone mentioned switching to chicken soup for the dog lovers... I tried it w/mine and it made their skin even more flaky. I had them on Premium Edge, switched to Chicken soup, and now I'm on Canidae grain free ALS. It works rather well, although they still have some flakes it's not as bad as before. They also get plain yogurt w/their food each morning, sometimes an apple or banana.

The premium edge made them fart, and BAD! The chicken soup did the same, and they didn't seem to like it. Now the canidae has brought my females weight down, and leveled everyone out. I do not have the money to go past this price range. So for where my budget is, this is what I've found to be the best so far.

As far as the itchy skin, and spots - is there a black discharge coming from her skin? I have heard that dogs get yeast infections inside their body and the only way for it to escape is through their skin and it comes out as black flakes and they stink and itch. I'm not sure what you would do about it, I don't remember what was said now.

My yellow once had red bumps on his belly and itchy skin. I gave him benadryl and he was better w/in a week or so. He had gotten into something and it was summer.

Sorry no one can really help, but know that we all care! Keep us updated on what's happening!

#15 blackdogy

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Try switching foods also you can use aloe vera jel it helps to calm the skin rash and is nice feeling to the dogs skin =-) Dont buy the cheapy food try using nutro or something like that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users