9 replies to this topic

#1 corynleta

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing,camping,music,art,Jesus Christ and my family

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

HI, we have an 8month old female lab named Sadie. The problem is that she sheds so bad. We clean and vacuum our home regularly but there seems to be no end to the hair. Sadie has been sleeping in our bed since she was 6 weeks old. We now want her to sleep outside but we don't know how to do this. Can you help? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!!!

#2 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

Looks like it's time to pay the piper for Sadie learning how to sleep in your bed. Why would you want to make her sleep outside?
Here are some suggestions:

First, learn how to brush Sadie. You'll take a lot of the excess hair off her and she won't shed so much. It just takes 5 minutes a day or so.
Second, teach Sadie how to sleep on the floor. You may want to get her a dog bed. If she tries to come up on the bed, tell her "off" and gently push her off the bed. Eventually, she'll sleep on her own bed and you won't have to brush your bed out before you get in it.

Labs are really family oriented dogs. They like to be with their people. I do not recommend tossing her out into the yard. This could initiate behavioral problems.

#3 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

Joe used to sleep in the room with us, although not in the bed. He slept in his crate beside our bed. When we had to get a bigger crate it could no longer fit in our bedroom so we had to put the crate in the spare room. That first night he cried which was something he had not done at night since he came home with us.
Imagine how your dog will feel if she is made to sleep completly out of the house. It was hard enough on ours to sleep in a room away from us.
Also I have never liked the idea of people having outside dogs. Pets are family members and you wouldn't make a member of your family sleep outside would you?

#4 VampD3

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Walking, games, reading and sports

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

I agree. I could never have my dogs outside! They keep me company as me them!

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Our dogs used to go inside their crated to sleep. The crates were inside our bedroom. When the dogs were old enough we put the crates in the attic. For a long time the dogs would sleep on the floor in the same place that their crates were. And each one knew which crate was theirs.

#6 corynleta

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing,camping,music,art,Jesus Christ and my family

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Looks like it's time to pay the piper for Sadie learning how to sleep in your bed. Why would you want to make her sleep outside?
Here are some suggestions:

First, learn how to brush Sadie. You'll take a lot of the excess hair off her and she won't shed so much. It just takes 5 minutes a day or so.
Second, teach Sadie how to sleep on the floor. You may want to get her a dog bed. If she tries to come up on the bed, tell her "off" and gently push her off the bed. Eventually, she'll sleep on her own bed and you won't have outside to brush your bed out before you get in it.

Labs are really family oriented dogs. They like to be with their people. I do not recommend tossing her out into the yard. This could initiate behavioral problems.

Thank you Kurt for your reply. Your advice has led to our decision to keep Sadie inside. We do brush her once a day, but I'll start at twice a day. We do not really want to kick her outside....not really, there is just alot of excess hair, but I guess that just comes with having pets.

#7 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Remember, this time of year Labs are going through their shedding season. After a few weeks you'll probably notice less hair coming off of Sadie.
I recommend two combs for Sadie. One a course comb that will allow you to get the to coat, and a more fine comb to get the excess undercoat. Use the coarse comb first to align the hair and the fine comb to get the undercoat. If you use the fine comb first, it'll pull and Sadie won't like that!

You can also try "skimming" the comb across the top of her fur in the wrong direction. This helps loosen the loose hair.

I can understand your frustration with fur, but it is pretty easy to keep under control when you brush them daily. We actually only have to brush ours three times a week.

#8 Tara Too

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Dogs (duh!), 2d Amendment, Emergency Medical Services, Navy (retired)

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

. . . We do not really want to kick her outside....not really, there is just alot of excess hair, but I guess that just comes with having pets.

We have had four dogs in this house, over 20 years. First three were all longish haired (Elkhound mix, GSD, Husky mix) and now Tara. At least her hair is short, and black. Wore out three vacuum cleaners.

Finally read Consumer Reports evaluation of vacuum cleaners. They even include a category for "pet hair." Got their top recommendation, been doing fine for last two dogs (Husky & Tara), about 4 years, I guess. That vac was also highly rated for low maintenance (none so far, except when bag is full).

Don't want to quote the brand/model we got, they may have updated it. If you don't subscribe, you can see it at your local library.

- Mike, & Tara too

#9 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

I have to agree with those who are against dogs sleeping outside. Having had the dog get used to the comfort of sleeping in your bed, it seems almost cruel to expect her to sleep out.

I agree that it's no longer practical for Sadie to sleep on your bed. Why not buy her a bed of her own? Keep it in your bedroom for a week or so to get her used to the idea. Then move it out into the hallway or kitchen or wherever else you would like her to sleep. Half an hour before you get up, let Sadie in your room and make a fuss of her. She will soon get into the habit of sleeping alone.

We made a similar mistake letting Summer sleep with us. It was fine having a cute, fluffy little puppy in bed, but not so great now that she weighs 30kg. She now sleeps on her bed, outside our bedroom door and then taps on the door about 07.30 to come in our room.

Best Wishes from Mike, Ashley & Summer

#10 Carolyne

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Labs. Reading (Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and Andy McNab). Camping. Visiting the Highlands.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

Our Lab Tessa sheds like you wouldn't believe. It is all year round.
Too much grooming may have a negative effect. If I brush Tess too much she actually sheds more. I was advised every few days tops and not to bath her too often as this can also encourage shedding. Just a thought.
As for fur in the house, It's like the wild wild west in my kitchen each morning - tumbleweeds of black fur fly across the room with the breeze!
Carolyne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users