3 replies to this topic

#1 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

Summer is 18 months and i have noticed recently that she sometimes start to lick her front paws. I don't know why she does this but she will do it until i tell her to stop. I have checked her paws and nothing there, checked for fleas and all clear. Have looked on Google and there is all sorts of ideas from boredom to allergy to liking the taste of their own sweat. Don't really want to take her to a vet as there is clearly nothing wrong with her paws and she is in no pain or distress.
Anyone got experience of this.

Mike, Ashley and Summer

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hi Mike - My Perry is a paw licker at certain times of the month. He gets his flea control - Comfortis - at the end of each month. It seems to me that he starts the licking thing about a week before he is due for the next dose. He's not chewing, there is no abrasions or cuts, he has company so I don't think its boredom. I tell him to stop and he does so its not an obsession. As soon as he takes the Comfortis the licking stops. I'm not sure what the connection is but the timing is curious. Perry gets fed a mostly grain free diet with raw meat added to his kibble. I don't know what causes it but its a small thing to deal with.

#3 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Is Summer licking on the top of the paw or the underside? If it's the underside, it could be itching from allergies. Right now pollens are out for the springtime. You may want to try a Benedryl on her to see if the licking stops or abates.

Another thing about paw licking is that sometimes it can turn into a habit. The result is a sore known as a "lick granuloma". What happens is that they lick from an itch, and then they get so used to doing that and it turns into a habit. Lick Granulomas can be very difficult to treat due to the constant licking.

Here is some information on lick granulomas in dogs:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3385

#4 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

She normally licks the top side of the paw and usually only the front ones. Will try the benedryl tho.

Thanks. Mike, Ash & Summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users