12 replies to this topic

#1 Deisel Bear Lab

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hello,

Back in June 09 we decided to get a puppy. My husband found a guy out in the country that was giving away lab puppies and thought it wouldn't hurt to check it out. Once we got there he only had one lab left and definatly not old enough to leave its mom, dirty and had snots coming out of its nose. We decided than that obviously the guy did not want to take care of them nor cared and we had to take the puppy to ensure that it lived. We took the puppy to the vet right away and found out that he was "maybe" 4 weeks old, had respiratory infection and hook worms. Vet had said that it was a shame he was taken from his mother at his early age but, if we haven't taken him than he probably wouldn't have lasted more than couple days. We bottle fed him, cleared his infection and his hook worms and now he is 8 months around 65 lbs heathy boy we named Deisel! =) When the guy have given him to us he told us that he was full lab obviously a guy giving us a "free" lab of course did not come with papers. So the question is how can we tell? We think he may be American Lab. He is taller and skinner lab, has the web paws, the goldish/light brown eyes, the whip tail and LOVES to swim! We been told he is actually very "good looking" lab and if he isn't a full lab they'll be surprised. Our vet said that he is on a smaller size in weight for a male lab and its possibly because he did not receive all the nutrients from his mom as he should have but, she also thinks he is full lab. We would be able to better understand him if he does have other breeds within him. Although he has all the lab traits that we could see =) Any other traits I should be looking for???

This is picture of Deisel at 3 months. Couldn't upload the older picture of him apparently its too big... =)
Attached File  Deisel 08 08 2009 3 Month Old pic7.jpg   244.36K   64 downloads

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi

Welldone for taking Deisel on at such a tender age with his problems and bringing him up.

He certainly looks all Lab.

Have a look at these links elsewhere on BL:-

http://www.blacklabrador.com/index.php?showtopic=3033

http://www.blacklabrador.com/index.php?showtopic=2447

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#3 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hello - Welcome to BL.com
Well done for saving such a cute little guy. Sure hope the man that gave him to you doesn't allow his bitch to whelp another litter. Little Sweetheart almost died but you stepped in and saved the day.

He looks to be full-blooded but you'll love him in any event. But, if you named him after the type of engine, shouldn't it be spelled DIESEL?

Welcome Aboard.

#4 Deisel Bear Lab

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hello - Welcome to BL.com
Well done for saving such a cute little guy. Sure hope the man that gave him to you doesn't allow his bitch to whelp another litter. Little Sweetheart almost died but you stepped in and saved the day.

He looks to be full-blooded but you'll love him in any event. But, if you named him after the type of engine, shouldn't it be spelled DIESEL?

Welcome Aboard.

Thanks! =)

We wanted him to grow big fearing that the man who gave him to us might have damaged our little one in some way since he took him from his mother at a early age so we decided to name him "Deisel" just the sound of the name sounded powerful....after a while people started asking if we named him after the engine Diesel and that wasn't our intent so we changed the spelling of it a little to make it his own. =)

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

Look at the size of that tongue! I'm willing to bet he gives very wet sloppy kisses!
He looks like a nice dog, and a labbie at that. Many thanks to you for saving that one.

#6 mazda626gal

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

i am getting a lab in a few weeks but im not sure if she is full blooded we know for sure that her mother is. she is black with her two front paws are white. she has all the other signs of being a lab with a block head and web feet. im just concerned about the white on her paws. the other 3 puppies in the litter are solid colors with 2 black and 1 yellow. please let me know what you think
thanks

#7 alabamabelle

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

My son had a puppy follow him home a few days ago. He isn't sure where it came from. But my husband seems to think she is a black lab. She has black nose, brown eyes and her teeth seem to fit the decription. But are there any other traits that will make a determination while she is still a puppy. She is such a beautiful puppy. She is very sweet and loves to play. My kids have already named her Bella. Any help with this would be appriecated.

#8 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

My son had a puppy follow him home a few days ago. He isn't sure where it came from. But my husband seems to think she is a black lab. She has black nose, brown eyes and her teeth seem to fit the decription. But are there any other traits that will make a determination while she is still a puppy. She is such a beautiful puppy. She is very sweet and loves to play. My kids have already named her Bella. Any help with this would be appriecated.

Would need a pic of her really to tell? Hope you've posted a 'found' notice in your local paper, someone might be worried sick they've lost her.... :(
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#9 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

There were two topics on this site about how to tell if your dog is a lab or not. To maintain order on the website, both these topics have been merged into this thread.

#10 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Deisel is going to be a big dog i think. His front paws look massive. Well done for saving him.

Best wishes, Mike, Ashley & Summer

#11 Jerry Smith

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy shooting and hunting, Plus taking Rufus out into the fields with me.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Rufus at 6 months old is 50.1 pounds. He is going to be a big doggy!

Jerry

#12 Tara Too

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Dogs (duh!), 2d Amendment, Emergency Medical Services, Navy (retired)

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

My son had a puppy follow him home a few days ago. He isn't sure where it came from. . . .. Any help with this would be appriecated.

Some child or adult may be missing that puppy. Recommend calling local vets, also local pounds, SPCA, etc. Ask your son to show you the exact spot where he was when he first saw the puppy, and put up some "Puppy Found" notices in that area.

#13 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Some child or adult may be missing that puppy. Recommend calling local vets, also local pounds, SPCA, etc. Ask your son to show you the exact spot where he was when he first saw the puppy, and put up some "Puppy Found" notices in that area.

Totally agree with you Tara Too. They should take the pup to a vet and get it checked for a micro chip. There is probably somebody somewhere who is absolutely devastated about losing their friend.
AlabamaBelle, I really appreciate you taking in a lost puppy but for the time being, please regard the pup as a "foster pup" and understand that at some point you may have to give him/her back to their owner. I know you will become attatched to the pup very quickly, but trying to trace it's owner is the kindest thing you could do for both dog and owner.
If you do trace the owner, then please consider taking on another dog from a rescue centre. There are thousands of puppies in desperate need of caring folk like yourselves.

Thanks for being so kind, love from Mike, Ashley and Summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users