#1 tigerpaul

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Motorbikes, Photography

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hello folks,

The weather is changing in England now, and Marley has been moulting quite a lot of hair. So today I took him out into the back garden and gave him a good brushing.

Firstly I used a spikey rubbery glove to remove the loose hairs but then I switched to a brush. The brush must have disturbed his skin under the fur so thats when I noticed what looked like bad dandruff on his back. I've inspected him and found under the fur he has got really bad dry flakey skin.

The areas affected seem to be his back, his arse and tail area, his belly, and his genital area. Where his skin is still very short around his genitals after the neutering operation, I can see really big flakes on his skin.

Marley eats CSJ biscuits, occasional treats being pigs ears. Sometimes we give him a bit of rice leftover.

He had Frontline flea treatment 3 months ago, he doesnt have fleas now. He hasnt been swimming at all. We havent bathed him because the vet said dogs clean themselves and bathing would strip the fur of its essential oils anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to treat him?

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

When I comb out Perry I also get lots of white flaky dead skin. I give him fish oil capsules daily and canned salmon with his regular food a couple of times a week. It seems to help.

#3 tigerpaul

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

I've fed him a tin of sardines yesterday, and I'm going to get some cod liver oil. Also he has a bit of probiotic yoghurt now and then.

Hopefully this will help his nutritional requirements, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to clear up this flaey skin he has now.

On brushing him before there was never any problem, but yesterday and today his dandruff has been pretty bad.

#4 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Sounds like he has a lot of undercoat? Instead of the cod liver oil there is a product called Grizzly Salmon Oil, it's really good you, just pump onto the food. Because it's fish based as opposed to liver based, you don't get too much of any one vitamin. Which CSJ is he on? :)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#5 tigerpaul

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

Marley is on CSJ Natural Champ, he really likes this food.

On his back and lower hind quarters area I can spread his fur and look at his skin, but on his front half and his front and back legs the fur is too thick for me to look through. Where I can see his skin I can see that it has become dry and flakey, where he was shaved for his neutering operation I can see big flakes, one about 1 centimetre square.

The brush I used has 2 sides, one normal brush and one with less but harder bristles. This is the best side for removing his loose hairs, but it scratches the flakes off of his skin when I do it and gives him the bad dandruff.

#6 tigerpaul

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Marleys skin is just as flakey as before, and it's been a week or so now. We've been feeding him his food like normal, but adding cod liver oil to his biscuits. Every couple of days he's had a tin of sardines. Everyday he's had a couple of tablespoons of probiotic natural yoghurt.

We've been combing him to remove the loose hairs, a neverending task!

Today I bought some doggy dandruff shampoo, so tomorrow is going to be his bath day. I really didn't want to take him upstairs to our bathroom for his bath but thats the only place to do it except taking him to the dog groomer.

#7 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Seeing a change in the flaky skin will take more than a week's time. Does he have an odor? If not I'd hold off on the bathing and keep up with gentle brushing. His coat is reacting to the dry heated air.

#8 BigBlackDog

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

We give our big guy a drizzle of olive oil over his breakfast and dinner -- and it's fixed the dry flakiness and itching completely. His coat is thick and glossy, with no rashes or scratching (hurray).

The initial rash was bad -- an awful red rash that drove him crazy across the bare parts of his belly, and his lower back was terribly dry and flaky. We ended up with prednisone tablets, antibiotic tablets, and cortisone cream to put on the rash -- he was miserable for a few days, but the meds took care of it very quickly.

We also went back to the regular formula kibble, as a lot of the issues seemed to come from the light formula we were feeding to try to keep him from becoming a furry blimp.

We're making a concerted effort to walk him more (easier now that the weather's a bit warmer) -- and feed him a little less, and it seems to have fixed all of his winter issues.

#9 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Instead of the CSJ Champ I'd try CSJ 'Natural That'll Do" it's got quite a lot of oil in it and is formulated for gundogs.
I put Willow on a different (Lamb Senior) one and she didn't do anywhere near as well, her coat went very dull so I've changed back and her coat is fab again :) :)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#10 pack leader

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:family

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hello folks,

The weather is changing in England now, and Marley has been moulting quite a lot of hair. So today I took him out into the back garden and gave him a good brushing.

Firstly I used a spikey rubbery glove to remove the loose hairs but then I switched to a brush. The brush must have disturbed his skin under the fur so thats when I noticed what looked like bad dandruff on his back. I've inspected him and found under the fur he has got really bad dry flakey skin.

The areas affected seem to be his back, his arse and tail area, his belly, and his genital area. Where his skin is still very short around his genitals after the neutering operation, I can see really big flakes on his skin.

Marley eats CSJ biscuits, occasional treats being pigs ears. Sometimes we give him a bit of rice leftover.

He had Frontline flea treatment 3 months ago, he doesnt have fleas now. He hasnt been swimming at all. We havent bathed him because the vet said dogs clean themselves and bathing would strip the fur of its essential oils anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to treat him?

Stop feeding him biscuts and rice. Look into a species appropreiate diet.....ie. raw meat. Appropriate nutrition will produce consistant improvment in all health aspects.
www.rawfeeding.com
www.bluegrace.com

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users