• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

How often should I brush Joe? He has a long coat. Right now I am trying to brush him every few days is that enough? Also when I brush his back one of his back legs does this kicking thing. Is that normal or does that mean I am hurting him somehow.

#2 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

Don't think you're hurting him, sounds like you've touched a nerve and he wants to scratch?
All our dogs are short-coated and I brush them very little, only when I can see some undercoat showing a brown colour, other than that they go swimming and that keeps the coats lovely (can you tell I'm also quite lazy) :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#3 cyclops

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Animal Rights, crocheting, jewelry making, any artistic endeavors

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

In all tha I have read about grooming a lab brushing should be done only when needed. By that I mean when they are blowing their coats and shredding all over the place. I brush Ringo more in the spring, summer and fall and then it is only about 3 times.
RINGO'S MOM

#4 Carebear

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

Wow that isn't much. I have realized that Joe needs to be brushed at least every other day. His fur gets tangled if we go any longer without brushing it, and he doesn't like us getthing the tangles out. I know that most Labs have really short sleek coats, but Joe is a big ball of fluff.

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

If your brush/comb is getting tangles in the fur, you may wish to get a comb type of brush with the teeth wider apart. We have two of them, we brush once with the wide tooth comb and then rebrush with the narrower tooth comb. It seems the wider comb gets the fur aligned in one direction and the second comb gets all the loose fur.
I brush our labs every three days. For dogs who don't like to be brushed, offer them a treat immediately after the brushing and tell them they were a good dog. In no time they'll actually look forward to being brushed.

#6 ChuckB

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods with Mace, I own 2 retro-Thunderbirds

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I did the same as Cyclops with Luke and plan to do the same with Mace - only when needed and mostly spring and fall. Now with Luke I use to vacuum him. He loved it but not at 1st. Once he got use to it you couldn't vacuum the house without him following you around wanting you to vacuum him. I would not use any attachments and just sort of run the hose over his fur - obviously never on his head or private parts. He also had that "spot" that you brushed or scratched with you hand that was cause his back leg to kick. I kinda think he liked it because he never would try to get you to stop or get up and leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users