Trimming Hair around pads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi All

Now winter is upon us.

Just a reminder to trim the hair between the pads on the dogs paws down to pad level, most people think over grown hair covering the pads protects the pads, it dosen't.

What the over grown hair does, particulary in snow and ice is to impact between the toes and can be responsibile for an outbreak of chilblains, snow and ice burns, lameness as a result of Arthritis and can affect the dogs gait and ability to grip with the pads.

Also a reminder to check the paws after the dog/dogs have been for a romp in the snow for impacted snow and clear any by rinsing with warm water.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#2 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the reminder Doug & Mary, they can also get grit in the pads and lick them, making them really sore :(
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#3 cyclops

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Animal Rights, crocheting, jewelry making, any artistic endeavors

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

Thank You! Did not know about this. Just had Ringo's nails done and I checked the hair between the toes and they did it for me! My Ringo loves the snow and this piece of advice is great! Keep em coming...because there is just so much I dont know! Again, I thank you!
RINGO'S MOM

#4 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hi

Apparently our Vets have had to treat quite a few cases of frostbite and snow burn to dogs pads and feet after the recent bout of cold weather we have had.

We are about to be hit harder with similar or worse this week for several days.

All it takes, is a couple of minutes to rinse in and around the paws in luke warm water when they come back in, to get rid of impacted snow, ice, and grit, examine the paws and pads for any cold damage when you are drying them.

Severe or untreated frost bite or snow burns to the pads can cause long term damage and the healing process is very slow and if left untreated be costly.

Doug & Mary

#5 NeilUK

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Being dragged across the muddy wet english countryside!

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Doug and Mary

Im not sure whther my Lab Mikey is OCD or something as he is completely obsessed with licking his front paws!!!!! He has been known to stop everything just to have a lick of them? I have checked them regularly as I was concerned he may have something stuck in them as there are times he cannot be distracted from them????

They dont appear to be sore and he does not limp on them etc...

Is this common in labs or do I have an 'Special one' lol

#6 coryroth

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thanks Doug and Mary

Im not sure whther my Lab Mikey is OCD or something as he is completely obsessed with licking his front paws!!!!! He has been known to stop everything just to have a lick of them? I have checked them regularly as I was concerned he may have something stuck in them as there are times he cannot be distracted from them????

They dont appear to be sore and he does not limp on them etc...

Is this common in labs or do I have an 'Special one' lol

My golden has been doing that for a better part of his 10 years. I've never seen anything wrong, neither has the vet. He doesn't appear to be in pain, so we kind of just accepted it...

#7 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

Also sent by PM, AJ you can stop nagging.

Hi Neil

Without seeing Mikey, its hard to say, you dont say if he is licking the top or the underside of the paws.

Have a look at these links they may help:-

http://vetmedicine.a...FAQ_licking.htm

http://ezinearticles...ively&id=577471

Paw licking has also been proved to be a sign of a diet allergy, in particular Corn and Wheat. (try him on a wheat free diet)

The other thing you can try, is to rinse his feet off in a dilute salt water, every time he has been for a run.

If the condition continues and seems to be getting worse, consult your Vet it just could be a Arthrtic problem.

Without seeing him from what you describe comes across as an allergy, check on the contents of what you are feeding him.

We use CSJ, its natural and gluten free and excellent value.

This is their website:-

http://www.csjk9.com/range/

Doug & Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users