• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RELENTLESS

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have about a 4 year old Black Lab, his name i Buddy and i have had him ever since he was a puppy. His coat has always been shiny and soft and never had problems with dry skin. One day this summer i decided to take him to the lake and let him swim with me in the lake, there were not any other dogs in the lake. A few weeks after doing that he developed really bad dry skin and i noticed he was always chewing and licking him self. He started to loose alot of his hair and developed sores on his belly, i took him to the vet and they gave him steroids, vitamins, oatmeal shampoo, and conditioner. They also told me to start giving him benadryl. We finished the steroids and bathed him and gave him the vitamins, but now all the same symptoms are back. He has sores and scabs on his belly, his coat does not look shiny at all it looks dirty and not soft. The vet also reccommended that i switched his food from regular Science Diet to Science Diet sensitive skin, but that has had no affect on the skin. I'm beginning to think that this is a food problem since all the other stuff worked temporally. Its confusing me due to the fact that all the sudden his skin and coat started doing this. Any suggestions on what i should do? I don't want to spend more money at the vet since that treatment didn't work.

Thanks

Oh and since i took him to the vet, we have moved houses so i dont think its anything in the house or yard causing this. He is kept inside most of the time.

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:59 AM

Hi

You could shop around for a Hypo Allergenic food over there and try that.

The fact you point out the sores and baldness are localised to his belly and underside, suggests it is some form of Allergic Contact Dermatitis. (dogs lie down on their bellies)

You probably unknowingly introduced something into your old house that you have still got after moving that he is still in contact with and is allergic to, i.e did you have your Carpets cleaned, Carpet Sprays, Flea Sprays/Powders, Air Fresheners, Deodarants, Vacuum Cleaner bag air fresherners, could be any number of things, you will have to think hard about what was newly introduced around the time the problem started and if you find the cause it will have to be eliminated.(Also consider if he comes in contact with anything you use in the car.)

We have come across someone who sprayed their dog with human deodarant, the dog was allergic to it and displayed similar symptoms to what you describe and it was only by chance the cause was discovered and eventually remedied.

You probably have to request your Vet to do a full screen allergy testing series to pin point the cause.

Good Luck

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#3 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

Forgot to add, even if you find the source, Buddy will need Veterinary treatment for the sores, scabs, loss of hair etc.

Doug & Mary

#4 RELENTLESS

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

Forgot to add, even if you find the source, Buddy will need Veterinary treatment for the sores, scabs, loss of hair etc.

Doug & Mary

Its hard to pin point what is causing the problem. Like I said im confused cause it just all the sudden appeared a few days after i took him to the lake and he swam in the lake. I cleaned the carpets in the house that i moved to a month before we moved in and i havent used any flea powder, have just bathed him in the oatmeal shampoo and put avantix on his back. I also have a shepard/husky mix and he does not have any of the same problems. Its just confusing that it just started, we had lived in the old house for a year and a half befrore it started also.

#5 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Is it possible to obtain a sample from the lake and get it tested by the Agricultral and Food Agency or Environment Agency, best if you ring them up explain your fears and they should help.

You dont say if the Shepherd/Husky mix went swimming as well.

The fact the Shepherd mix is not affected suggests it is an irritant, rather than something like Mange etc that is affecting Buddy.

What is difficult in situations like this is, what affects one dog dosen't affect the other.

On the carpet cleaning its not how long before, but rather what is in the ingrdeients that can lie latent and act as an irritant to dogs or humans that are hyper sensistive.

Will keep thinking.

Doug & Mary

#6 RELENTLESS

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

I didn't bring my Shepard/Husky mix swimming with me. When i took buddy to the vet shouldn't they have treated or tested him for mange? I just don't want to take him back to the vet if all they are going to do is temporary fix the problem like what has happened before. He isnt loosing as much hair as he was but the sores and dry skin are still a big issue.

#7 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

I didn't bring my Shepard/Husky mix swimming with me. When i took buddy to the vet shouldn't they have treated or tested him for mange? I just don't want to take him back to the vet if all they are going to do is temporary fix the problem like what has happened before. He isnt loosing as much hair as he was but the sores and dry skin are still a big issue.

Suggest you get a second opinion at another Vets, detailing the history, and yes your Vet should have done skin scrapings etc, but again if the other dog is not affected it leaves a question mark.

Doug & Mary

#8 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hi Relentless- Welcome aboard.

I know what you mean about the vets bills and how they add up. I think the swim in the lake and the onslaught of the dermatitis was coincidental. It sounds like an allergic reaction. Don't want to get on a soapbox here but you should read the posts in the Nutritional forum. Science Diet, any type, is not a good food for your dogs. Since Buddy was treated with a full round of vet meds and after the treatment the problem returned it would seem that its a reaction to something in Buddy's everyday life. I would change the diet and see what happens. Dogs were not born to eat cereal. They need meat.

Let us know how Buddy's doing. Best of luck.

#9 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have about a 4 year old Black Lab, his name i Buddy and i have had him ever since he was a puppy. His coat has always been shiny and soft and never had problems with dry skin. One day this summer i decided to take him to the lake and let him swim with me in the lake, there were not any other dogs in the lake. A few weeks after doing that he developed really bad dry skin and i noticed he was always chewing and licking him self. He started to loose alot of his hair and developed sores on his belly, i took him to the vet and they gave him steroids, vitamins, oatmeal shampoo, and conditioner. They also told me to start giving him benadryl. We finished the steroids and bathed him and gave him the vitamins, but now all the same symptoms are back. He has sores and scabs on his belly, his coat does not look shiny at all it looks dirty and not soft. The vet also reccommended that i switched his food from regular Science Diet to Science Diet sensitive skin, but that has had no affect on the skin. I'm beginning to think that this is a food problem since all the other stuff worked temporally. Its confusing me due to the fact that all the sudden his skin and coat started doing this. Any suggestions on what i should do? I don't want to spend more money at the vet since that treatment didn't work.

Thanks

Oh and since i took him to the vet, we have moved houses so i dont think its anything in the house or yard causing this. He is kept inside most of the time.

In animals the first thing that goes wrong when something is not going well is through the skin like hot spot, sores, itching,ear infections, what you need to do is switch to a good quaility food like wellnes, blue buffalo, taste of the wild, evo solid gold, Merrick, before grain, dog over soul. food to stay away are ANYTHING with Purina label, science diet, Iam, eukunuba, these are very low quiality food. I bet if you just went out and bought some good food I would almost bet your dog would improve 100 percent,go buy some of the brands I said and switch it over slowly and your dog will improve and get him off all that crap your vet had you on. Stop the bathing.

#10 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Thanks

In animals the first thing that goes wrong when something is not going well is through the skin like hot spot, sores, itching,ear infections, what you need to do is switch to a good quaility food like wellnes, blue buffalo, taste of the wild, evo solid gold, Merrick, before grain, dog over soul. food to stay away are ANYTHING with Purina label, science diet, Iam, eukunuba, these are very low quiality food. I bet if you just went out and bought some good food I would almost bet your dog would improve 100 percent,go buy some of the brands I said and switch it over slowly and your dog will improve and get him off all that crap your vet had you on. Stop the bathing.

#11 ChuckB

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods with Mace, I own 2 retro-Thunderbirds

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

Luke use to get something similar all the time --> mostly on his stomach and around his business parts, in his front “arm pits”. It was a skin infection which needed to be treated by antibiotics. He would get it every year in the late summer. Hopefully Mace will be lucky and avoid this.

#12 MitchSnider

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hi Id like to bump this topic. Heres my story. Black Lab/Collie Mix named Molly going on 11 years old. She is the greatest, smartest, funniest, most beautiful dog ever. A couple years ago she started to gain a lot of weight and was very drowsy all the time and developed these itchy scabs/sores all over her body. She started to lose hair in these areas as well, mainly on her tail. of course we took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a low t4 (thyroid level) so she was prescribed the medicine to increase her thyroid level (forget the name of it). Her hair all came back, she was back to normal, healthy, no sores. Then she started to develop masses on her body, there are about 4 now, the largest being about the size of a volleyball under her hind leg. It doesnt affect her in any way right now so the vet says to just see how it goes. Thats not the problem. The problem is that the sores are back all over her body, itchy, scabby hair loss prominantly where her back meets her tail and belly. as well as under arms and other areas. We thought maybe her thyroid level was getting low again as bad skin and hair loss is a symptom of a low thyroid level. not the case, she was tested and her thyroid level is fine so it has nothing to do with this. now were are stuck and the vet doesnt know what could be the cause. her diet has never changed, shes always had the same food, treats/table food, and exersise is the same and we havent broughten her to any new areas that we havent before. so this has been developing for 2 months now and we dont know what to do now. weve tried the shampoos, the hypo-allergenic foods, etc. we just want her to be better. any advice would be great. thanks in advance

#13 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

I am sorry to hear about your dogs skin problems.

First of all I'd be very concerned with that lump the size of a volleyball. When you get large lumps in that area, it eventually can cause mobility problems as it can interfere with the operation of the muscles in the legs. What does the vet say about that lump? Has he biopsied it?

As for the skin condition I'm thinking that it could definitely be related to whatever is wrong with your dog. Has your vet ran a basic metabolical panel blood test to ensure that the organs are working properly and that the white blood cell/red blood cell counts are in the proper ratio?

Considering your dog's age, I would go get a second opinion from another vet and maybe even schedule a precautionary visit with a canine oncologist just to rule out anything major.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users