Photo

Why is my labby so nervous and flighty??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jillene

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:My labs, gardening,cooking,reading,remodeling our old house.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

My lab Ebony is 10 months old and my other lab Stumpy is 5 months, the problem is that Ebony is always so nervous and scared.We adopted Ebony from a wonderful no kill shelter when she was 12 weeks old , she housebroke like a dream and was pretty calm.We then decided to adopt her a playmate, Stumpy was adopted from a breeder when he was 7 wks.Since we have got Stumpy ,Ebony is so flighty.She jumps on people, horrible on the leash,and is just spastic. I walk them seperately, my hubby and i play with them both all the time, i just dont know what to do to calm Ebby down.When we adopted her we noticed 3 long , but healed gashes on her hind leg,could she finally remeber what happened to her to get those gashes??These 2 dogs are like night and day.Stumpy is always so calm,cool and collected to where as ebby is wired for sound 24/7.... what can i do to help her??

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

Hi

Without seeing the dogs or their living situation,from what you write it would seem something has triggered a memory of something that was not very nice before you got her, it could be bringing in a second dog that has regressed her memmory.(as you say you dont know how she got the scars or what her situation was before you got her.)

Or with bringing in a second dog, she feels her place in your pack has been usurped, you may of inadvertently showed the pup more attention or affection that has got her back up, and now without the identity she had within your pack is acting accordingly.(if it is this, you will have to keep a very close eye on the situation, as jealousy can turn to aggression in an instant.)

Feel the only way you are going to resolve this, is to seek the help and advice of a Canine Behaviourist, your Vets or Local SPCA/Humane Society should be able to put you in touch with someone reputable in your area.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users