#1 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Hi all,
My lab, Summer is 10 months old now and we were expecting her to be in season by now. About what age do most dogs come on heat for the first time.

Also we believed that we can't get Summer neutered until after her 1st season. Is thi correct?

Any advice appreciated.

Mike, Ashley and Summer.

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

Hi Mike

In the norm bitches come into heat every six to eight months.

When to spay is something of an argument, the best time to spay (personally speaking) is after she is six months old and before her first season, (waiting for her first season or litter seems to be something of a myth,) we applaud you wanting to getting her spayed which will forestall problems later on such as, Pyometra, Tumours of the Breast(Mammaries) and other associated conditions, brought on by her not being bred and being unspayed.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#3 jb52761

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:48 AM

I was wondering this too. My pup Fender just turned 6 months. I was told to wait until she was at least 6 months or older. And I've heard once fixed, it usually slows them down a bit to where they don't want to run off as much, and they won't want to have a soccer match in the middle of the living room.....Yes, no ????.......jb

#4 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (jb52761 @ Jul 6 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering this too. My pup Fender just turned 6 months. I was told to wait until she was at least 6 months or older. And I've heard once fixed, it usually slows them down a bit to where they don't want to run off as much, and they won't want to have a soccer match in the middle of the living room.....Yes, no ????.......jb

The big thing to watch when Fender is spayed is diet (not too much of the biscuits or high carb) as due to the Hormoneal and Metobolic change she will tend to put weight on.(Vet can advise)

As to the slowing down , never had that problem, gradually introduce her back into an exercise regime after she is fixed with an adjusted diet she should be fine.

Labs tend to lounge around when they are not out, Jasmine our 5 year old who is fixed, lays around till she knows she is going out then she bounces around like a 2 year loon.

Castration of dogs is recognised as a possible way of calming them down.

Doug & Mary

#5 mike hall

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:My dog, my fiance (not in any particular order), holidaying

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Just to update, Summer came into season almost exactly 1 year from her date of birth. As we've never had a puppy before we didn't know what to expect but did notice the following: 1) Her vulva became very enlarged for about 3 weeks, then returned to its usual size. 2) Summer spent a lot of time licking around this area. 3) We didn't notice any bleeding, but this could be down to the amount of cleaning she did. 4) Her nipples became enlarged and have remained this way. 5) Male dogs were paying her attention a few days before she showed any physical signs of being in season. 6) The whole season lasted about 4 weeks in total.

We are now going to get her spayed, though we've not told her yet. Hope our experience will be of help to others on here.

Mike, Ashley and Summer.

#6 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

Hi Mike, Ashley

Dont beat yourself up for doing the right thing by Summer and being responsibile owners.

By getting Summer spayed you are protecting her long term from things like Mammary Tumours, Pyometra (which can be a killer) and a possible an unwanted pregnancy.

Watch the biscuit intake after she has been spayed, as due to the hormonal change she will go through, her weight could be affected.

Its natural to worry about the spaying procedeure, but hold your heads high up for caring enough about Summer and her future to get her spayed.

Doug & Mary

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users