• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brembo

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

So Delilah begins to appear to shed her puppy hair. Then we noticed that the hair down her spine is going wavey. Subtle near the neck, but more pronounced towards the tail (and broaded there too).

This is our first lab, so we're sorta curious as to if this means she's mixed or what. Supposedly, from the breeder, her father is a Full Black, her mother is a Chocolate from a Black and Chocolate. This is the registered parents.

It doesn't change how we feel about her (today is Wednesday? Set Defcon to "Aww, she's so smart!"), but we're sorta interested since neither of us have seen labs a lot and don't know a lot.

#2 Brembo

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Well after many calls and much research, I found my answer.

#3 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Well, don't keep us in suspense...

#4 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

Our Chocolate Lab is pure bred and has wavy lines in his coat on his back half way down his back. It seems more pronounced after he has had a bath.

#5 Brembo

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Brembo @ Jun 10 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Delilah begins to appear to shed her puppy hair. Then we noticed that the hair down her spine is going wavey. Subtle near the neck, but more pronounced towards the tail (and broaded there too).

This is our first lab, so we're sorta curious as to if this means she's mixed or what. Supposedly, from the breeder, her father is a Full Black, her mother is a Chocolate from a Black and Chocolate. This is the registered parents.

It doesn't change how we feel about her (today is Wednesday? Set Defcon to "Aww, she's so smart!"), but we're sorta interested since neither of us have seen labs a lot and don't know a lot.

Well... Basically...

Before the breed was official, they were "retrievers" and were often bred short hair to long haired, and also to curly coated retrievers. Once the breed became standardized (in 1917) and the "rules" set for what was a "Lab", the selection was that a pure lab should not have wavey hair on its back. Typical of elitists, they were ignorant of genetics and did not understand that eventually the wavey hair would show up in even the most scrutinized championship bloodline. Eventually they had to get off their high horses and state "A slight wave down the spine is acceptable" because too many times was it showing up in "pure" bloodlines. 'Oh dear! My Muffy has wavy hair! Jeeves!'

What that wave really means is that somewhere in your dog's bloodline, was a Curly Coated Retriever (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/curlycoatedretriever.htm) which is also a water dog like the Lab. Is also means that your dog very well likely has a long bloodline as the curly gene recedes in overbred/inbred bloodlines and disappears completely by four generations or so of them (according to breeders and some historians on the subject). So, according to research, breeders, and a few scientists who breed labs, if your dog has the wave it is from a bloodline that has not been overbred, or inbred, at some point. To them the wave signifies the older genes and more of a "older blooded" dog rather than the "popular" breed of dog.

What does that mean to me? Cool... She's got a long bloodline and she's got an old bloodline. Cute is cute. Wave or not.

#6 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

It's how you love your dog that really counts.

Thanks for this info, I didn't know about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users