• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luna-tic's Mommy

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hi! I'm completely new here. I was just googling how much sleep a four month old lab puppy should sleep in a 24 hour period and I found you guys! We have Luna, who is 4 months old, and she is just darling. She is so calm and patient, but everyone has been commenting on how much she sleeps. We also have a two-year-old daughter who plays constantly with Luna, and at home, Luna tries her best to find somewhere to sleep. The inlaws are the ones who keep making comments on how much our puppy sleeps- they have had three labs in the past that they are comparing to. There are some major differences though- their dogs live outside in a kennel and are let out a couple hours a day for training- these are duck hunting dogs. Luna is not only a duck hunting dog, but a pet who lives inside with us. I don't think she oversleeps, but we're getting a little bomboarded with comments. I think the difference between Luna and the inlaw's dogs are that she is used to being around us 24-7, so of course we see her sleeping more, and she has to catch a cat-nap when and where she can. The inlaw's dogs are so darn happy to be out for a day that they don't sleep for a minute- they're in the kennel for probably 22 hours a day, so when the weekend comes and they have something better to do than sleep, they don't want to miss a second of it.

So my concern is....how much sleep would make you worried? Luna eats fine, checks out beautifully at the vet without fail, and seems normal to me (I come from a family that has always had indoor dogs). She usually sleeps from about 8pm to 7am with an occasional request to go out (we're going from crating at night to sometimes leaving the door open) and then sleeps.....whenever she can during the day- that is, when my daughter will let her. That's maybe another 3-6 hours during the day. She plays fine, is doing awesome with her training, but we're just trying to find out what is normal for her.

TIA!

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

Without seeing the pup.

I wouldn't stress too much, Labs by nature especially on their own tend to be lethargic when they are not playing or working, being a pup and on her own, she is probably bored and needs some form stimulus to keep her active (ball games, inter action with other dogs etc) which will also help with her skeletal development.

Her wanting to sleep could also relate to amount she is being fed at any one time, you could try splitting her meals and spreading them out i.e several small meals a day, taking her food bowl away between feeding.

Other than that if you are still worried, raise your specific concerns with your vet.

Good luck.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#3 Luna-tic's Mommy

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

She playes constantly while my daughter is awake, but if we are eating, my daughter is napping, and in the early evening, she hides in her kennel for a nap. She eats about four little meals a day already, since my daughter LOVES to feed her (she eats about 3/4 of a cup a meal). She trains for hunting about an hour a day, then plays in the pool and play-fetch with my daughter for another couple of hours, and then just messing around playing in the yard or house for the rest of the day. I'd say she gets a solid 4 hours of exercising outside a day, and I mean running as exercise.

I'm glad to know that when there's nothing specific going on; that it's normal for her to just hang out and sleep. I don't really find her inactive- she's always chewing something up and playing, but my inlaws were shocked to see her take a nap at the lake this weekend and wouldn't quit talking about it. She had just gone swimming for about an hour in the lake, so I wished I could have napped too, but she just found a quiet area and dropped. I just got worried with all the comments!

#4 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Quote:(but my inlaws were shocked to see her take a nap at the lake this weekend and wouldn't quit talking about it. She had just gone swimming for about an hour in the lake,)

Perhaps the in-laws should be reminded she is only 4 months old and is still developing and that dogs housed in a kennel and kept specifically for hunting tend to be more active as opposed to a family pet that is also used for hunting who will be more laid back.

As she develops her instincts and Intellect, she will come to know the difference between hunting and the family.

One of the best shooting dogs we have owned, was the soppiest creature on the face of the earth, till he saw the gun cases being loaded, then he was on point and one of the best retreivers we have owned, once the day's shoot was over he would regress to soppy mode.

Your dog can be both pet and worker, its up to you to teach and encourage her to know the difference.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#5 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:28 AM

I think the difference between Luna and the inlaw's dogs are that she is used to being around us 24-7, so of course we see her sleeping more, and she has to catch a cat-nap when and where she can. The inlaw's dogs are so darn happy to be out for a day that they don't sleep for a minute- they're in the kennel for probably 22 hours a day, so when the weekend comes and they have something better to do than sleep, they don't want to miss a second of it.

You would be correct, and you may mention this to them. Tell them to take a peek out through the window, note how much their pups sleep when they are not out with them. Dogs are social animals and need interaction from the pack.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#6 Sundae's Best

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Luna-tic's Mommy @ Jun 8 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She playes constantly while my daughter is awake, but if we are eating, my daughter is napping, and in the early evening, she hides in her kennel for a nap. She eats about four little meals a day already, since my daughter LOVES to feed her (she eats about 3/4 of a cup a meal). She trains for hunting about an hour a day, then plays in the pool and play-fetch with my daughter for another couple of hours, and then just messing around playing in the yard or house for the rest of the day. I'd say she gets a solid 4 hours of exercising outside a day, and I mean running as exercise.

I'm glad to know that when there's nothing specific going on; that it's normal for her to just hang out and sleep. I don't really find her inactive- she's always chewing something up and playing, but my inlaws were shocked to see her take a nap at the lake this weekend and wouldn't quit talking about it. She had just gone swimming for about an hour in the lake, so I wished I could have napped too, but she just found a quiet area and dropped. I just got worried with all the comments!

Your 4 month old Luna sounds just like my 4 month old Sundae, always napping. Very active when she is up and ready to play but doesnt mind a little shut eye. I thought it was strange at first but Im starting to learn to follow my gut and like your Luna, she is fine in every other way. Sundae is an "only child" so when she naps, I sneak one in too. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users