• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 burton876

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

I need some advice from someone before i have to pay for some advice from the vet. i would rather get the advice from you first as with previous vet experience you find you get 5 different asnswers from 5 different vets.
i have an 11 month old black lab bitch called lucy. she has always had a major obession with tennis balls and gets herself really worked up if she has one to the extent that she starts froffing at the mouth. about 8 weeks ago we got rid of all her tennis balls except one cos she likes to have one to retrieve from water. we have only used this last ball for water retrieval. when i took her for her walk this evening i kept her on the field cos i wouldn`t of had time to shower her after a swim. i got her ball out on the field and threw it for her 10 - 15 times and then i started getting worried cos she was breathing/panting very fast but short breaths so i calmed her down by laying by her on the grass but the very fast short breaths continued for at least 30-40 minutes and as for the froffing, it looked like she had swallowed a bar of soap. at one point atfer playing ball she sat down but may of been my imagination but she seemed all wobbly on her back legs just before sitting. i put her back in the car, drove her home and gave her some cold water. another 30 minutes has passed and she fell assleep but still the breathing was slightly stronger than normal but not worrying.
has anyone had this before with a lab, is this caused by her getting so worked up with her obession to tennis balls, could it be a heart problem, if walked with no tennis ball she is normally fine. i will never use a tennis ball with her now but i need to know whether this sounds concerning or whether its just a lab thing.
don`t think she is a cross breed if you look at the picture, mum was a blk lab and dad was a brn lab and she is a rare mismarked lab that got both parents colours.

Please: any advice would be a great help.

Lee..

Attached Files

• Attached File  11.jpg   73.38K   5 downloads

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

Whilst you say Quote: I need some advice from someone before i have to pay for some advice from the vet. i would rather get the advice from you first as with previous vet experience you find you get 5 different asnswers from 5 different vets.

From what you describe, particularly the long time she was having trouble breathing and the fact she was salivating, the bottom line is Lucy needs Veterinary investigation and help , sooner rather than later.

It could be anything from Heart problems to something like Epilepsy or similar which needs diagnostic investigation, something that cannot be diagnosed via the PC.

It is not our intention to come across as being brusque, but Lucy is the priority and she needs investigation if for no other reason than to eliminate a major problem.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users