• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 randomhero0377

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

I'm planning on buying a lab within the next 2 months. How can you tell if the puppy is a blockhead or not. I want a huge lab, and I want to make sure I know what I am buying. Thanks to anyone that can help.

#2 DaveK

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (randomhero0377 @ Apr 22 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm planning on buying a lab within the next 2 months. How can you tell if the puppy is a blockhead or not. I want a huge lab, and I want to make sure I know what I am buying. Thanks to anyone that can help.

is this what you mean?

as opposed to this:

Beowulf will recognise Mildreds mum and dad.

I've seen pups that look like they'll have block heads grow up just the opposite so it may be difficult to tell in the early weeks.

#3 Beowulf

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Deer management, environmental conservation, writing online articles and training my pup Mildred.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (DaveK @ Apr 22 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is this what you mean?

as opposed to this:

Beowulf will recognise Mildreds mum and dad.

I've seen pups that look like they'll have block heads grow up just the opposite so it may be difficult to tell in the early weeks.

Do you mean block head as in 'stupid' or block head as Dave K refers as having a large head? No offence but sometimes you colonial chaps speak a different English to us 'Limmeys'.

If you are after a clever pup it's not too difficult to work this out. Go and look over the whole litter, if possible have five or ten minutes watching the pups play. Also see how they react to you. If you are a good judge of people then you will see that dogs are not that different. The pupís personalities will become very apparent.

Iím not sure that there is such a thing as a stupid Lab, they were bred for their intelligence.

#4 DaveK

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Beowulf @ Apr 22 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean block head as in 'stupid' or block head as Dave K refers as having a large head? No offence but sometimes you colonial chaps speak a different English to us 'Limmeys'.

If you are after a clever pup it's not too difficult to work this out. Go and look over the whole litter, if possible have five or ten minutes watching the pups play. Also see how they react to you. If you are a good judge of people then you will see that dogs are not that different. The pupís personalities will become very apparent.

Iím not sure that there is such a thing as a stupid Lab, they were bred for their intelligence.

Steve, the pup in the photo is Milly. Stick on a photo of her now so they can see how the shape of her head has changed.

#5 Beowulf

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Deer management, environmental conservation, writing online articles and training my pup Mildred.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (DaveK @ Apr 22 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve, the pup in the photo is Milly. Stick on a photo of her now so they can see how the shape of her head has changed.

That's far too technical for me Dave. Her head is rather flat and rounded like her mothers, but Milly has a lump at the back of her skull like an egg. huh.gif

#6 DaveK

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Beowulf @ Apr 22 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's far too technical for me Dave. Her head is rather flat and rounded like her mothers, but Milly has a lump at the back of her skull like an egg. huh.gif

Mildred now with some ugly bloke rolleyes.gif

#7 Beowulf

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

Who is that ugly brute force feeding my dog carrots! Its likely that Mildred is involved in some secret Government training program to drop 'Ninja see in the dark black labradors' behind the Taliban lines.

You certainly wouldn't won't those teeth around your parsnip.

#8 Beowulf

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

You can't see her egg head from that angle. dry.gif

#9 DaveK

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

For the information of our colonial friends:

You don't have the monopoly on the Saskwatch. We have one alive and living with Elvis in Coventry ohmy.gif

#10 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (DaveK @ Apr 22 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the information of our colonial friends:

You don't have the monopoly on the Saskwatch. We have one alive and living with Elvis in Coventry ohmy.gif

LMAO biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Doug & Mary

THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#11 Beowulf

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

There's a guy works down our chip shop, swears he's Elvis.

So what you are saying is that Elvis is training 'Ninja killer Black Labs with special night vision for secret black ops'?

'Glory glory hallaluya'! biggrin.gif

#12 Becky

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Labradors, Baking, Hunting, Fishing.... to many to list

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (randomhero0377 @ Apr 22 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best way to tell, is by looking at the parents and grand parents of the litter (and further back if possible, via pictures). If they have the head type you like, then the puppies *should* turn out with similar head type. It depends on the breeding and lines backing the pups. Usually the field bred (FC/AFC, etc) Labradors have a narrow head type. We have both, and you can see the difference. So you would probably not want to go through a breeder with field lines (some are OK, but not 100% field bred). Do some research, because I have seen allot of "breeders" say their Labs are "block headed" but turn out NOT to have correct head type. So be careful when you do your searches !

By "Block head" I am assuming you mean a head type like this :

#13 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Our present blockhead

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#14 randomhero0377

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Well, I guess you would call it a blockhead. I used to do landscaping and there was this lab that I seen, he had a huge square head and humongous paws, this dog was a beast. The dog was given to the person who owned it, so she didn't know where it came from.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users