• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 maejae

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hello All - I have been a long time lurker on this site and have found so much valuable information on my lab. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem we are having. Our lab Daisy is 1.5 years old. In the last 8 months or so we have noticed that on days she is very active (dog park, doggie visits, high energy exercise) after she lays down to rest she limps when she gets up. She does not pick her leg up when she limps but her gait is off. After a few minutes of being up she tends to "walk it off." We took her to the vet for x-rays and blood work, he could find no sign of a joint problem or a cause for her symptoms. We don't like the thought of thinking our girl is in pain, and still having a lot of puppy in her makes it hard to control her rambunxious attitude. Has anyone else had a situation like this, or know of anything that could cause this?

#2 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi

Dont know if this will help, we had a similar problem of one ours, vets couldnt diagnose or find anything.

We heard about Syn-Flex from a friend, decided to give a it go, the results were remarkable in around a month the problem had vanished.

We are so impressed we now have it as part of both our dogs daily intake( 1/2 teaspoon with morning meal) and we are introducing it to horses.

Dont know where you are located so am sending UK and USA links, have a look all we can say is it worked and continues to work for us.

http://www.synflexusa.com/

http://synflexforpets.co.uk/

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#3 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Welcome to BL.com

I had the same thing with my Perry. If we overplay - dog park, chasing ducks, lure course, etc - he has a rough time getting back up in the evening and then its a limping walk until he walks it out. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with his hips. He suggested Synovi-G3 tabs. They are available on the web from lots of different sites. I use entirelypets.com. They have lots of great stuff for joint and mobility. Really helps to keep Perry from "seizing up" in the hips. I swear by them. They are barrel shaped, smell like brewers yeast and Perry loves the taste. I give him 2 in the morning and he's good to go.

Here's the link:http://www.entirelypets.com/synovig3.html

#4 maejae

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Thanks so much to you both! We have Daisy on gluclosomine now, but I think it's just a cheap formula and it sounds like the more money you spend the better results you get. I appreciate your time to answer my question! It has really bothered us!

#5 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

We also use Synovi G3 Chews on Maggie and Riley. Just as a preventative for Maggie, but Riley has some arthritis in his hind right leg. I purchase them from my vet, they love them we use them as a treat in the morning after their breakfast. We are really happy with them, Riley has not limped in over 2-3 years. It is a wonderful product!
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#6 waltersmum

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

hey there, it was suggested we visit a chiropractor with our 5 year old
and he did have problems and he is so much better now....give it a go
you have nothing to loose.

QUOTE (maejae @ Mar 31 2009, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello All - I have been a long time lurker on this site and have found so much valuable information on my lab. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem we are having. Our lab Daisy is 1.5 years old. In the last 8 months or so we have noticed that on days she is very active (dog park, doggie visits, high energy exercise) after she lays down to rest she limps when she gets up. She does not pick her leg up when she limps but her gait is off. After a few minutes of being up she tends to "walk it off." We took her to the vet for x-rays and blood work, he could find no sign of a joint problem or a cause for her symptoms. We don't like the thought of thinking our girl is in pain, and still having a lot of puppy in her makes it hard to control her rambunxious attitude. Has anyone else had a situation like this, or know of anything that could cause this?

#7 Marley08

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

it could be a spain or even arthritis

#8 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

could be lyme disease or have her hips xrayed that is how I found out my choc lab has hip displaser

#9 Jesse'smom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Animals of all kinds especially Labs!! cooking, health and wellness, healing arts, the outdoors, my loving husband, "Jesse's dad" and of course our human son Jesse's older brother who adores him as much we do!

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

Jesse has been intermittently lame lately too. His right back leg seems to bother him and he limps after playing as well. We had him to vet who said he felt a little "click" when manipulating the hip. Jesse is a very athletic guy at 6 he is as fast as ever and agile too. Late summer he played and dove and swam real hard in the woods for quite a long time with other dogs that happened by. When we rode home in the truck he slept (about a 45 min ride) when we arrived home he was limping! This was the first time. Lately after ball catching and playing he lays down and when getting up limp for a while till he walks it off so to speak. Well after Lyme test, which was neg. and vet visit, oral anti inflammatory (only for a few days, i don't like to over medicate with those things and he HATES the taste) we are taking him in for xrays of pelvis hips and knees. More and more often Jesse is not using that leg! It has us very worried. The breeder assured us that Hip Dysplasia was not an issue in his bloodline. Had certification etc. Jesse is not overweight either. He just seems so young for there to be an arthritis issue or chronic ailment! :(
I should mention that while this is going on we noticed a lump on his right hind qtrs. Vet said he thought it was a lypoma and did an aspiration in office. Oily stuff indicates that's what it is. Jesse is not bothered at all by the lump (not really big about an inch or 2 in length and not hard either. I guess the 2 are not related, just seems weird they are both in the same area?!

Well, any comments are welcome. Doug and Mary, I have printed the web info on the SYNFLEX and maejae, I printed the SynoviG3 info to show my vet. I drop JJ off on Thurs morning. Dont like the idea of anesthesia but thats how they can get the xrays they need so I guess that's what we have to do!

#10 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Try not to worry, there are lots of reasons Jesse is limping, it could be a sprain or a ligament injury so wait for the xrays.

After you get the results there are lots of options open from medication, supplements (Synflex is recommended as it's liquid so gets straight to work, thanks Doug and Mary) to hydrotherapy and would definitely highly recommend seeing a McTimoney chiropractor for an assessment and treatment. There is a website of registered practitioners. Over and above that, try not to over-exercise, 3 x 20 mins is better than 1 hour, smaller sessions of exercise allowing Jesse to rest. Then see how you get on. Good luck, you can tell we have a similar problem!
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#11 Jesse's dad

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Jesse's dad is watching too now.

#12 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

My Perry has a problem with his rear right hip/leg. Many days he's a tri-pod dog. The Vet said he has arthritis degeneration in his hip and suggested seeing an orthopedic vet. Perry is 10-1/2 yrs young and no operations for him. I give him 1 Rimadyl tablet a day and it makes a huge difference. I don't like having to dose him but its better than watching him hop around like a kangaroo. Perry still gets the SynoviG3 chews and even with this problem I believe it is a very good product for joint lubrication.

Jesse is a young dog and he will be okay. You may have to really cut back on his activities until he's fully healed. Best of luck.

#13 JackieBrown

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

I have a Chocolate lab named JackieBrown and my parents have a male named Jake. Both are 4 years old and Jake has been limping on ther back right leg after running. I know bad hips run in the labrador family but I think I found what was really happening. When I ran my dog Jackie i always used a tennis ball. When my parents ran Jake they used a KONG. At first i thought this toy was great until I thought about my dog being fine and there dog limping afterwards. All of a sudden It hit me..... Jake (who puts 110% into playing fetch) had to make very hard corrections when the KONG was making contact with the ground and forcing Jake to try and follow. This i think is the reason for his problem. I am not saying this is the only cause but to me it was a eureka moment, Also I would also encourage everyone who owns a lab and sees strange activity after running to check out this little article about EIC. This is not known by many vets but is very dangerous to go unchecked. I thought my dog was being disobedient. Hope your dog feels better!!!!

LINK http://www.working-retriever.com/library/taylor.html

#14 Jesse'smom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Animals of all kinds especially Labs!! cooking, health and wellness, healing arts, the outdoors, my loving husband, "Jesse's dad" and of course our human son Jesse's older brother who adores him as much we do!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hi all. Well this is the update.... Jesse had xrays...vet believes there is an injury to the knee (don't know when it happened) maybe cruciate ligament or meniscus and as a result there have been some arthritic changes to the knee . So Jesse James has been taking glucosamine 1500 for 15 days now. Also Rimadyl, 1 almost every day. His limp on rear rt leg is not improving in fact any activity seems to make it worse and no activity does not improve it! I thought it might be getting better but then we got JJ and his cousin a choco lab 9 mo un-neutered male together for Thanksgiving holiday. Well it was a nightmare . Our Jesse who is a pacifist never barks....turned into Cujo to protect his status... if you know what i mean. I believe the tangling they did might have injured this knee further cause ever since Thanksgiving it has been real bad. I feel horrible for him. He is bored but I don't want to run him or throw ball and play. Spoke to the vet today who is suggesting ortho consult. I'll keep you all posted. I don't have an appt yet but i know we will be going down an expensive road! JJ is only 6 and I want him to be happy and pain free so whatever ........

#15 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hi

Have you considered, as Jules suggested controlled Hydrotherapy for Jesse, your Vet should be able to tell you where it is available.

Hydrotherapy is low impact exercise that should benefit Jesse, which he should enjoy.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#16 Jesse's dad

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

I couldn't imagine a Lab not liking anything with "hydro" in it's name. I guess we'll see what the ortho has to say.

#17 julesinchaos

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

Firstly I'm sorry about the x-rays but definitely try hydro if you can, it's amazing and the dogs improve so quickly, it's lovely to see :)
Posted Image

2 girlies and a bloke! xxxx

#18 Jesse'smom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

Ill call vet and ask for referral to hydrotherapist (?) Ortho seems like a last resort but the consult would probable be valuable. Thank you for the suggestion and testimonials too. I'm happy to hear there are other ways! :)

#19 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

I have had 1 vet tell me that Perry had a problem with his hip and 2 vets tell me the problem was his knee. He still takes SynoviG3 but I recently upped it to 2x morning & 2x night. Cutting back on the Rimadyl because long term use has potential side affects on the liver.

The hydro and chiro will help with pain but only surgery will repair torn ligaments. It is costly but Jesse is only 6 yrs and the surgery will return his quality of life. It's a heartbreaker to have our doggies come up with a tennis ball and know that we cannot throw for them to fetch.

Let us know what the ortho says. Good luck.

#20 Jim Welles

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

Jesse has been intermittently lame lately too. His right back leg seems to bother him and he limps after playing as well. We had him to vet who said he felt a little "click" when manipulating the hip. Jesse is a very athletic guy at 6 he is as fast as ever and agile too. Late summer he played and dove and swam real hard in the woods for quite a long time with other dogs that happened by. When we rode home in the truck he slept (about a 45 min ride) when we arrived home he was limping! This was the first time. Lately after ball catching and playing he lays down and when getting up limp for a while till he walks it off so to speak. Well after Lyme test, which was neg. and vet visit, oral anti inflammatory (only for a few days, i don't like to over medicate with those things and he HATES the taste) we are taking him in for xrays of pelvis hips and knees. More and more often Jesse is not using that leg! It has us very worried. The breeder assured us that Hip Dysplasia was not an issue in his bloodline. Had certification etc. Jesse is not overweight either. He just seems so young for there to be an arthritis issue or chronic ailment! :(
I should mention that while this is going on we noticed a lump on his right hind qtrs. Vet said he thought it was a lypoma and did an aspiration in office. Oily stuff indicates that's what it is. Jesse is not bothered at all by the lump (not really big about an inch or 2 in length and not hard either. I guess the 2 are not related, just seems weird they are both in the same area?!

Well, any comments are welcome. Doug and Mary, I have printed the web info on the SYNFLEX and maejae, I printed the SynoviG3 info to show my vet. I drop JJ off on Thurs morning. Dont like the idea of anesthesia but thats how they can get the xrays they need so I guess that's what we have to do!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users