• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jadie

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hey! New to the forum nice to meet you all.

I am here because i seek to understand my border collie black lab cross. We got him when he was about 4 months old from the humane society.He was a valentines day gift from my then fiance now husband 2 years ago. Now he is a bit over 2 and a half.... We love him soooo much!!! So i am trying to understand his devious lil mind better (When i say devious i mean devious! My husband is a phd in theoretical physics, the dog has been known to manipulate him while acknowledging him as alpha at the same time! Usually it is a match of wits over the couch and the dog bluffs something like a poker player with a great poker face and the husband gets up and the dog snatches his seat, and it is obvious it was totally planned out in advance.) Do you think dogs can run for president? Cuz if they can ours is just manipulative enough to beat that Palin woman out next time roundl.

Anyway, some things he has done, just escape me so i have alot of questions.

1. Why did he pee on me when we first brought him home? Right up the side of my leg in the middle of the livingroom. Then once again on my lap on the sofa what is the deal with that? And uhhh Why does he not pee on my husband ever? not that he does it anymore... Just 2 times when he was 4 months old. But he never peed on my husband.... What is up with that?

2. How can i convince him my 2 cats (who now hate him, they are fine with our maltese) are *not* squeeky toys? We tried letting them co-exist thinking if they whacked him a couple of times enough to draw a small drop of blood or 2 he wouldn't bug them after that.... Unfortunately... He is crazy for them. And i want everyone to co-exist and to not feel threatened. He is a very very sweet boy and i don't think he wants to hurt them. He just wants to play with them... But he needs to learn to respect pardon the pun, that no means no! Now i keep them all separated. Its odd, he gets along well enough with my cockatoo (who rides him around the house screaming "giddy-up!" ) But he just wants to play shred the kitties....

3. Why is he so protective of me, but not at all protective of my husband? He doesn't try to protect me *from* myy husband. He knows my husband would never hurt me. But he has put himself between me and my father when my father was angry and yelling at me, cuz my dad is an a**. He has also (along with at the time the rest of them we had something like 7 dogs on the property it was a large farm. And i would walk them all off leash every day uop an old logging road 1 day we had some trouble with some very rude and drunk men in a pick up. Without my dog and the rest of the dogs i would have been raped murdered and no one would know where to even start looking for my corpse.) Then once on the road some guy tried to get "friendly" Yoda didn't bite him, he ummm 'used his words' and made their meaning painfully clear that if the creep tried it the results would hurt. And when i am alone he watches at the windows, or barks to tell me if anyone walks past the door a little too close to the door. Not alot, just a warning. Why does he do this with me but not with my husband? Oh well wait a sec to be fair, he also does it for our ancient maltese also. He once took on a coyote to save her. He had some good back up the coyote got his butt kicked my lil ms. P got dropped before the coyote had bitten down, he had just barely picked her up. But that was ugly. Why does my dog do this protection thing with me and the small dog but not my husband? Don't misunderstand, this dog is NOT agressive. not at all. He is very friendly and loves it when we have visitors lives to kiss friends and strangers. It is only when i am alone or in some clear danger that he gets... Not agressive, but protective. He tells the threat which end is up. And he likely will back it up with some physical agression if they don't heed the warning but he isn't interested in hurting any0one unless he has to to keep me or ms. P safe.

4. Ok, it seems dog breeds have different personality traits, How will my guy be different from the average lab? What does the border collie contribute to the personality profile? What kind of a dog am i gonna have (cuz right now the only personality trait that seems to exist is hyper hyper hyper.) Will it be safe to have children around a lab border collie cross? Should i worry about it more with his border collie genetics as well as lab genetics? Will he be some how, confused racially due to his 2 different breeds? Or will certain traits be dominant in him? What will he be when he "grows up" (They say Border collies are pups till age 4 atleast...) He likes to swim and herd sheep, horses, a maltese, humans, cats, anything everything, cars (if possible, and no it is *NEVER* possible.) He likes to play fetch and go get things in the water... Or he likes to take things from other dogs in the water..... (sticks, balls)

5. Why does he smile at me sometimes? I swear to all the gods the lil bugger smiles at me. Not menacing growl or anything the body language is quite clear he is happy as a clam and then he just sorta curves up the edges of his mouth totally relaxed and opens his mouth a tiny bit... Why does my dog smile at me??? And if he wants my cats dead, (he chases them) why does he smile at them too?

6. Did i do the right thing with my last dog trainer? She through him against a wall actually hit him, and told us he wants dominance and said, "the best way to train him is to be very rough with him." I am all for training him. I am all for firm. But i found her methods to be cruelty, and i have showed him his poo in the living room let him smell it a little told him no firmly then put him outside. I am not a wussy about these things when it comes to training i use a prong collar on him. (He broke my collar bone twice pulling so hard on me and shredded my rotator cuff first.) Apropriate measures must be taken, ofcuorse, but it is NEVER apropriate in my mind to throw a dog against the wall and back hand him because he doesn't sit the first time you tell him to. Reason to not give hima treat, definately! But reason to *hit* him... I am still pretty angry about this as you can tell... Was i right to physically shove her (the trainer) against the wall once i got over my shock at her statement and seeing her beat my dog, before i threw her out of my house? (Let me point out, she was more than twice my size, but hey i know 10 year olds twice my size...) And i wasn't trying to hurt her, just trying to snap some sense into her and then get her out of my house as fast as possible. (otherwise i mighta gotten violent.... And ummm yeh i was raised ina buddhist temple i don't do violent.) But we had issues with the dog because he doesn't like to do what i tell him. So we thought she could help us. (at first what she claimed to offer sounded sooo good but then her methods just floored me....) But she said something interesting. So next question.....

7. My totally crappy trainer that i had over 1 time, (before as i said, i physically ejected her from my home for physically assaulting my dog.) said something about my lil boy, Yoda, being sexually atracted to me??? Was she on drugs or does that actually happen? He is nutered and seems to be gay... He likes to hump all his male buddies, (back when we had the pack living with us, he had one "special friend" I used to look up while washing dishes and i would see them humping eachother on top of the picnic table outside. No we never did eat off that table...) But is there something to it? She said that i was "sexually exciting to him" Which kinda creeps me out since apparently i am also sexuallt exciting to my cockatoo also. He comes to watch me in the bath tub and he does his happy dance and does all the traditional sexually excited cockatoo behaviors. So, if i have a dog that is insane also, well... what do i do? How do i function in a household full of horny creatures??? But i have had pets all my life i have never heard anything about dogs becoming "atracted" to their owners.... Its funny though. When my husband tells the dog to do something, (he listens to my husband...) But he looks at me first like "aww damn, do i have to???" I don't look at him anymore when he does that. It seems to be helping a little.... He is really a swwet gentle dog. Never goes after anyone cept the cat. The maltese beats him up once a day to remind him who is superior and he lets her. Just lahys there and takes it. She never hurts him. And once her psycho tantrum is over they are buds again and go back to playing or sleeping together on the sofa like nothing happened... That is really my last question what is with that. And if a dog is swexually atracted to me, if i make some effort to put on 20 lbs will i be less atractive to him??? Would that be the solution to the pervert dog problem? (or so says the violent trainer, but i dunno, if she has a brain in that head of hers...) So i really don't know what to think. I grew up around dogs. I had a britney spaniel for many years my cousins who i was already around had several cockers..... Since i was a child.... I am not clueless about dogs or training but i am also far from all knowing. And i am unfamiliar with these 2 breeds so i don't know how to interpret some things or what the best training method will be for him.

Sorry for being so long about it but this is 2 years worth of questions i have been dieing to have answered.... So hopefully you all can help me with atleast some of them. Thanx!

#2 Jadie

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Jadie @ Mar 2 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey! New to the forum nice to meet you all.

I am here because i seek to understand my border collie black lab cross. We got him when he was about 4 months old from the humane society.He was a valentines day gift from my then fiance now husband 2 years ago. Now he is a bit over 2 and a half.... We love him soooo much!!! So i am trying to understand his devious lil mind better (When i say devious i mean devious! My husband is a phd in theoretical physics, the dog has been known to manipulate him while acknowledging him as alpha at the same time! Usually it is a match of wits over the couch and the dog bluffs something like a poker player with a great poker face and the husband gets up and the dog snatches his seat, and it is obvious it was totally planned out in advance.) Do you think dogs can run for president? Cuz if they can ours is just manipulative enough to beat that Palin woman out next time roundl.

Anyway, some things he has done, just escape me so i have alot of questions.

1. Why did he pee on me when we first brought him home? Right up the side of my leg in the middle of the livingroom. Then once again on my lap on the sofa what is the deal with that? And uhhh Why does he not pee on my husband ever? not that he does it anymore... Just 2 times when he was 4 months old. But he never peed on my husband.... What is up with that?

2. How can i convince him my 2 cats (who now hate him, they are fine with our maltese) are *not* squeeky toys? We tried letting them co-exist thinking if they whacked him a couple of times enough to draw a small drop of blood or 2 he wouldn't bug them after that.... Unfortunately... He is crazy for them. And i want everyone to co-exist and to not feel threatened. He is a very very sweet boy and i don't think he wants to hurt them. He just wants to play with them... But he needs to learn to respect pardon the pun, that no means no! Now i keep them all separated. Its odd, he gets along well enough with my cockatoo (who rides him around the house screaming "giddy-up!" ) But he just wants to play shred the kitties....

3. Why is he so protective of me, but not at all protective of my husband? He doesn't try to protect me *from* myy husband. He knows my husband would never hurt me. But he has put himself between me and my father when my father was angry and yelling at me, cuz my dad is an a**. He has also (along with at the time the rest of them we had something like 7 dogs on the property it was a large farm. And i would walk them all off leash every day uop an old logging road 1 day we had some trouble with some very rude and drunk men in a pick up. Without my dog and the rest of the dogs i would have been raped murdered and no one would know where to even start looking for my corpse.) Then once on the road some guy tried to get "friendly" Yoda didn't bite him, he ummm 'used his words' and made their meaning painfully clear that if the creep tried it the results would hurt. And when i am alone he watches at the windows, or barks to tell me if anyone walks past the door a little too close to the door. Not alot, just a warning. Why does he do this with me but not with my husband? Oh well wait a sec to be fair, he also does it for our ancient maltese also. He once took on a coyote to save her. He had some good back up the coyote got his butt kicked my lil ms. P got dropped before the coyote had bitten down, he had just barely picked her up. But that was ugly. Why does my dog do this protection thing with me and the small dog but not my husband? Don't misunderstand, this dog is NOT agressive. not at all. He is very friendly and loves it when we have visitors lives to kiss friends and strangers. It is only when i am alone or in some clear danger that he gets... Not agressive, but protective. He tells the threat which end is up. And he likely will back it up with some physical agression if they don't heed the warning but he isn't interested in hurting any0one unless he has to to keep me or ms. P safe.

4. Ok, it seems dog breeds have different personality traits, How will my guy be different from the average lab? What does the border collie contribute to the personality profile? What kind of a dog am i gonna have (cuz right now the only personality trait that seems to exist is hyper hyper hyper.) Will it be safe to have children around a lab border collie cross? Should i worry about it more with his border collie genetics as well as lab genetics? Will he be some how, confused racially due to his 2 different breeds? Or will certain traits be dominant in him? What will he be when he "grows up" (They say Border collies are pups till age 4 atleast...) He likes to swim and herd sheep, horses, a maltese, humans, cats, anything everything, cars (if possible, and no it is *NEVER* possible.) He likes to play fetch and go get things in the water... Or he likes to take things from other dogs in the water..... (sticks, balls)

5. Why does he smile at me sometimes? I swear to all the gods the lil bugger smiles at me. Not menacing growl or anything the body language is quite clear he is happy as a clam and then he just sorta curves up the edges of his mouth totally relaxed and opens his mouth a tiny bit... Why does my dog smile at me??? And if he wants my cats dead, (he chases them) why does he smile at them too?

6. Did i do the right thing with my last dog trainer? She through him against a wall actually hit him, and told us he wants dominance and said, "the best way to train him is to be very rough with him." I am all for training him. I am all for firm. But i found her methods to be cruelty, and i have showed him his poo in the living room let him smell it a little told him no firmly then put him outside. I am not a wussy about these things when it comes to training i use a prong collar on him. (He broke my collar bone twice pulling so hard on me and shredded my rotator cuff first.) Apropriate measures must be taken, ofcuorse, but it is NEVER apropriate in my mind to throw a dog against the wall and back hand him because he doesn't sit the first time you tell him to. Reason to not give hima treat, definately! But reason to *hit* him... I am still pretty angry about this as you can tell... Was i right to physically shove her (the trainer) against the wall once i got over my shock at her statement and seeing her beat my dog, before i threw her out of my house? (Let me point out, she was more than twice my size, but hey i know 10 year olds twice my size...) And i wasn't trying to hurt her, just trying to snap some sense into her and then get her out of my house as fast as possible. (otherwise i mighta gotten violent.... And ummm yeh i was raised ina buddhist temple i don't do violent.) But we had issues with the dog because he doesn't like to do what i tell him. So we thought she could help us. (at first what she claimed to offer sounded sooo good but then her methods just floored me....) But she said something interesting. So next question.....

7. My totally crappy trainer that i had over 1 time, (before as i said, i physically ejected her from my home for physically assaulting my dog.) said something about my lil boy, Yoda, being sexually atracted to me??? Was she on drugs or does that actually happen? He is nutered and seems to be gay... He likes to hump all his male buddies, (back when we had the pack living with us, he had one "special friend" I used to look up while washing dishes and i would see them humping eachother on top of the picnic table outside. No we never did eat off that table...) But is there something to it? She said that i was "sexually exciting to him" Which kinda creeps me out since apparently i am also sexuallt exciting to my cockatoo also. He comes to watch me in the bath tub and he does his happy dance and does all the traditional sexually excited cockatoo behaviors. So, if i have a dog that is insane also, well... what do i do? How do i function in a household full of horny creatures??? But i have had pets all my life i have never heard anything about dogs becoming "atracted" to their owners.... Its funny though. When my husband tells the dog to do something, (he listens to my husband...) But he looks at me first like "aww damn, do i have to???" I don't look at him anymore when he does that. It seems to be helping a little.... He is really a swwet gentle dog. Never goes after anyone cept the cat. The maltese beats him up once a day to remind him who is superior and he lets her. Just lahys there and takes it. She never hurts him. And once her psycho tantrum is over they are buds again and go back to playing or sleeping together on the sofa like nothing happened... That is really my last question what is with that. And if a dog is swexually atracted to me, if i make some effort to put on 20 lbs will i be less atractive to him??? Would that be the solution to the pervert dog problem? (or so says the violent trainer, but i dunno, if she has a brain in that head of hers...) So i really don't know what to think. I grew up around dogs. I had a britney spaniel for many years my cousins who i was already around had several cockers..... Since i was a child.... I am not clueless about dogs or training but i am also far from all knowing. And i am unfamiliar with these 2 breeds so i don't know how to interpret some things or what the best training method will be for him.

Sorry for being so long about it but this is 2 years worth of questions i have been dieing to have answered.... So hopefully you all can help me with atleast some of them. Thanx!

Attached Files

#3 Jadie

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Ok, well i thought maybe i would get more help if i posted a small photo of my lil pervert.

#4 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

Hi

Without first hand knowledge, from what you say your dog possibly sees you as the defunct leader of the pack and wants to dominate you, it is connected / attracted to you probably because you spend the most time with it and the one who caters for its most of its needs and it now knows it can manipulate and at times dominate you.

As to the Dog Trainer or should I say "SADIST," hate to think of the outcome if Doug had seen it.

Anyone can beat an animal in submission, that is not training, but obedience through fear, it will only promote a submissive animal who would be frightened of its own shadow, or worse aggression when it has had enough.

I would suggest finding a good behaviourist NOT TRAINER and seek their advice where you would probably get help and be given some answers and explanations, particularly around the family / pack dynamics.

I would also suggest given the crossbreed the dog is, it is probably bored and needs stimulus of a high activity type.

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

#5 Jadie

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Ahhh here is what i was looking for makes it easier to reply hooray!

Thank yu for your help and advice. I will look into a behaviorist once my guy arrives here;. Which is actually another issue in itself.

How do dogs do on planes and just after flights? Is there anything i need to be aware of? Is it totally safe??? I need my baby and we have just relocated but because of how and where and what a nightmare it has been we are trying to foly the pets over in about a month. They need to be microchipped and have special documents and new rabies shots. He is staying with someone very competent and kind and gentle. Who would *NEVER* mistreat him.

And yeh that was my feeling as well about the uhhh 'trainer' And she is lucky that i didn't do worse than physicaloly ddrag her off my dog slam her against a wall to get shocked still before forcing her out my front door. What a nut. How dare she!!!

He really is a good dog. He is not agressive just protective..... I just dont understand why he doesn't protect myself and husband equally.

As for him seeing me as a defunct pack leader, only wwhen my husband is home. So one day i uhhh put my husband in a 'down' (with his permission ofcourse) where the dog could watch. He went a bit nutty lotsa tail wagging and hypering....

He can get bored but i really try very hard to find him dog buddies to play with and i try to take him swimming whenever possible. He gets a good 4 miole walk every day and a couple of 'lesser' walks too and in the house we play alot.... I am not perfect but i try. We are actually working on doggy literacy. So far though it doesn't seem to be working. I am convinced he just has ADHD.

#6 Doug and Mary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dogs and a wish for world peace.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Dont know about the plane thing haven't had any experience as yet.

Interesting comment:

"As for him seeing me as a defunct pack leader, only wwhen my husband is home. So one day i uhhh put my husband in a 'down' (with his permission ofcourse) where the dog could watch. He went a bit nutty lotsa tail wagging and hypering...."

When you get to a behaviourist tel him/her about this it would probably help, in my mind although you did it for the right reasons it probably confused the dog about his and your pecking order and place in the pack.

Dont know where you are located, we would suggest "Cannycollar" they are simple to use dont hurt the dog and very effective.

This is their website you can find out from them where the nearest outlet is, and have a look at the video clips on their website you will be impressed.

www.cannyco.com

Doug & Mary
THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS, ONLY BAD PEOPLE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users