• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 freyasmommy

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

I took freya in to the vet she has a uti that it seems wont go away so they did xrays and a urine test and found out that she has a very large amount of struvite crystals in her urine. She is only 11 weeks old. So the vet talked to a urinologist and said we may be up against a strain of bacteria that is immune to the anitbiotics she is on but the other antibiotic they would have to put her on would stunt her growth plates. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Also on top of that she has either bronchitis or kennel cough. Do runts always have more health problems then the other puppies? She has been on her antibiotics for 10 days and he wants to try it for another 10 days (to her next apt). How have others handled this?

#2 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Poor Freya. It sounds like a serious problem. Here is a website that will give you good info on the uti that makes the struvite crystals.
http://www.peteducat...=2 2114&aid=400

Good luck and keep us informed.

#3 freyasmommy

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

Well after a month of antibiotics and worring she has a clean bill of health for the first time since I got her. YAY! She keeps gaining about 2lbs a week so I am very happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users