• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onyxsmom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Our 12 year, 8 month old labrador retriever has taken a sudden turn for the worse. She has always had some lumps and bumps but she went through a checkup at the end of December where the vet declared her to be in good health. Today, she has suddenly started to show the following symptoms - lethargic, all four legs and paws are cold, she is having shallow breathing, and at times it seems like difficulty breathing. Her snout seems cold and her gums were a pale pink. She skipped her lunch and dinner today which are very unusual for her. She is arthritic and has been doing well. We've had her on a doctor prescribed medication called Duramaxx which we give her twice a week so she doesn't have any of the side effects of it. She is also taking glucosamine. For the first time, she was incontinent today and laid on her side while she defecated. We just don't know what to do for her and were wondering if any one has any suggestions or seen something similar in their dog. She has been the dog of our dreams and we're heartbroken to think she's suffering.

#2 onyxsmom

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (onyxsmom @ Jan 25 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our 12 year, 8 month old labrador retriever has taken a sudden turn for the worse. She has always had some lumps and bumps but she went through a checkup at the end of December where the vet declared her to be in good health. Today, she has suddenly started to show the following symptoms - lethargic, all four legs and paws are cold, she is having shallow breathing, and at times it seems like difficulty breathing. Her snout seems cold and her gums were a pale pink. She skipped her lunch and dinner today which are very unusual for her. She is arthritic and has been doing well. We've had her on a doctor prescribed medication called Duramaxx which we give her twice a week so she doesn't have any of the side effects of it. She is also taking glucosamine. For the first time, she was incontinent today and laid on her side while she defecated. We just don't know what to do for her and were wondering if any one has any suggestions or seen something similar in their dog. She has been the dog of our dreams and we're heartbroken to think she's suffering.

It turned out that our dog had had a stroke and we didn't know. We got her to the ER vet and she passed away really quickly.

#3 marymary

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, swimming, boating

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You will be in my prayers!

#4 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that we will all keep you in our prayers.
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#5 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

I am so sorry for your pain. Onyx sounded like a great dog and you took very good care of her. You will see her again. She has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. When a member of BL.com has a dog that dies, we all cry...

#6 partlablady

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you & your family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users