• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soccerdog

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

I pet my dog so much and I find these bumps on her body. Before I freak out I feel them for some time and notice they don't change. My besy guess is fatty deposits. They are moveable and not hard. The ones I've found are small (2).
She appears perfectly hyper and healthy. I just don't like them! I've been told that Labs are known for fatty deposits. What do you know? Does your lab have any?

#2 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

Have you dug down into her fur and looked at them?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#3 Soccerdog

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

[quote name='Soccerdog' date='Jan 16 2009, 03:29 PM' post='11681']
I pet my dog so much and I find these bumps on her body. Before I freak out I feel them for some time and notice they don't change. My besy guess is fatty deposits. They are moveable and not hard. The ones I've found are small (2).
She appears perfectly hyper and healthy. I just don't like them! I've been told that Labs are known for fatty deposits. What do you know? Does your lab have any?

No, It appears that they are under her skin. I'll check though.

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Ok cool. I haven't seen that in any of the dogs I have owned or worked with. But I guess it is possible. I remember when I was younger I would get cartilage bumps (spent cartilage that broke away from the joint and balled up under the skin) on my hands and near my joints. They felt much like what you described. Apparently it is not uncommon in humans when they hit a large growth spurt (I went from 5' 4" to 6' 5" in nine months).

The doc said they could go in and remove them, but said that 9 times out of 10 they would go away by the time I was done growing. And that is exactly what happened. How old is your pup? Maybe it is the same thing that happened to me? Not really sure.

If you are worried about it, you can never go wrong by taking the pup to the vet.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

These bumps are usually sabaceous cysts growing under the skin. Normally they are harmless. It seems some individual dogs are more likely to get them than other dogs. Usually if a dog has one, they'll eventually have others.

What is a sabaceous cyst? A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance. A foul odor is also often present in the substance called keratin which fills sebaceous cysts. Keratin is a protein that creates the sac of cells called sebaceous cysts. The bumps or lumps you can feel under your skin are actually the sac of cells. Some times vets refer to these things as "fatty tumors".

Our yellow lab had one of these removed today while having her teeth cleaned at the vets office. She's 10 years old and she has had this one cyst for several years. It seems to have grown larger over the past few months so the vet and myself decided that since she'd be anestheized for the dental work we'd remove the cyst. When the vet got in there to remove it, she found that the majority of it was under the skin and it was really quite large. After removal, it required 6 stitches to close the wound up. She didn't send it in for biopsy as it didn't look strange or anything. The location of it was on her right side between her front legs and back legs over the ribcage.

Now you can also have a water filled cyst. We had another dog that had one of these on her neck. It was hard and rather large. The vet inserted a need from a syringe into it and water squirted out of it all over the room. After that the vet said it may or may not come back. It never did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users