• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bryant

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

I have a 3 year old black lab, that has consistent problem with dry skin. He looks like he has a bad case of dandruff. We bath him weekly with non allergenic, natural shampoo. We also apply a natural oil to reduce the dryness of his skin. We have him on Natures balance as his food source. His coat will look good for about 4-5 days after a bath and then the dandruff condition returns. Any suggestions

#2 Martlet

Adult Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (bryant @ Dec 10 2006, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 3 year old black lab, that has consistent problem with dry skin. He looks like he has a bad case of dandruff. We bath him weekly with non allergenic, natural shampoo. We also apply a natural oil to reduce the dryness of his skin. We have him on Natures balance as his food source. His coat will look good for about 4-5 days after a bath and then the dandruff condition returns. Any suggestions

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd suggest you are bathing him far too frequently. That certainly would add to the problem.

#3 pam

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:40 AM

Everything I've been told says to bath them only when necessary, as little as every two or three months. It sounds icky, but there are several folks here who use wipes to freshen them up between baths. And no need to buy expensive doggie wipes --- baby wipes will do. Most of the doggie odour comes from around their mouths, which you can clean without having to immerse them completely.

Hope this helps!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" ~The Wind in the Willows

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:56 AM

I agree with Martlet. Labs have oils in their skin and bathing them too often will wash away these oils making their skin dry. Dogs do not need a regular bath to keep them clean. A good brushing done weekly is normaly eneough to keep them clean. Water itself really will not hurt their skin but using shampoo even dog shampoo can and will remove the oils in their skin. Just bath the pup when they are very dirty. I generaly only bath my pups (past and present) once every other month in a flea bath. Remember that dogs do not sweat therefore do not need to be bathed to keep clean. You can buy doggie moisturizer at the pet store that you use when you brush them to make them smell pretty.

If the pup is still dry after a few weeks of not bathing him take a look at his diet.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 Shelly & Abby in KY

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

Adding a cooked egg to their food everyday helps sometimes with this also.
IPB Image

#6 Jodi&Bodi

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

Try using Miracle Coat...My 1 year old black lab was having constant dandruff and this works well. After bathing or swimming just spray it on, let it dry and then brush, its like a leave in conditioner. It works great and makes their coat shine! Also, the advice about not bathing as often is beneficial- it can depleate thier skin of necessary oils. Hope this helps!!!

#7 suzanne & harley

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Camping. Video games. Dog SCOUTS!

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

Second to the bathing comments.

From what I've read Labs should be bathed (with shampoo) even less than other "ordinary" dogs due to the water repellant oils that are naturally in their coat.

I've heard the egg advise and have several friends that swear by it.

Harley gets 2 eggs per week added to her food.
We also suppliment her diet with Omega3 fish oil capsules and it has really made a big difference in her coat and skin. No more dandruff and her fur just glistens.
Suzanne & Harley DSA (Dog Scouts of America)

I can't do enough to make a difference for every dog in the world
But I can do all I know how to make a world of difference for for this dog

#8 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (suzanne & harley @ Feb 12 2007, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Second to the bathing comments.

From what I've read Labs should be bathed (with shampoo) even less than other "ordinary" dogs due to the water repellant oils that are naturally in their coat.
I've heard the egg advise and have several friends that swear by it.

Harley gets 2 eggs per week added to her food.
We also suppliment her diet with Omega3 fish oil capsules and it has really made a big difference in her coat and skin. No more dandruff and her fur just glistens.

I also give Phoebe the odd tin of sardines as a change from the egg. Maybe just hokum, but I think the oily fish is good for her coat. Even if it's not, she loves them!
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#9 lindaa

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy first and foremost, my 2 labs, Abbey and Maggie. I am considered by some a gourmet cook and really enjoy it. I love to go for long walks, enjoy gardening and collecting cookbooks and watching cooking shows. In my youth I really enjoyed sports but that is now relagated to watching it on TV.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Just curious Ian, what is her breath like after sardines?
IPB Image

#10 IanWilkinson

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Black Labradors! - Dolphins! Music, Walking and the great outdoors, Golf, Ufology, Reading, Photography, Cooking, the study of life after death (don't know what 'ology' that would be!) I'm married to Sylvia with 2 grown up children and am a Station Officer in Fire and Rescue. I'm 54. I'm a 1956 Aston Martin. I'm (so people tell me) still looking very good for my vintage (all me own - mostly brown - hair, and my original teeth!!) - As a 1956 model I'm still quite sporty, but the bodywork has seen better days, the piston rings are a bit worn and the paint job is a little dull!!.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (lindaa @ Feb 13 2007, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious Ian, what is her breath like after sardines?

She tends not to sit in my lap, so breath is rarely an issue. Also her regular feed is called 'Chappie' - which I don't think you have in the USA, and which has a lot of fish in it anyway - so I'm used to it for an hour or so after she's eaten.
...PHOEBE'S PET HUMAN

#11 Heather

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Black Lab's, Saabs, Kids, rescue dogs, Abyssinian cats, goldfish, reading, geek's geek, living in the wilderness,volvo's, fishes, camping, photography, art, music & writing eat up my time.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:06 AM

we feed them their dry food... I add warm water to soften it and 2-3 times a week we add a couple tablespoons of canned to the food.. & Peanut butter in the kong toy occasionally.. it seems to help keep their coat shiny.. but we do still get some dandruff.. it is however time for their bath.. we do it as needed.. maybe once a month at most. I wanna say the last time I bathed them was around x-mas.. So it's been a good long while.. and we had dirt in the backyard till recently that they loved rolling around in.. My vet told me today.. that he defenitely reccomends the canned added to the dry to give them a shiny coat.. We do have gas heat.. and it's a very dry in our house.. like the sahara.. so we could be losing moisture that way and maybe should get a humidifyer in the bedroom.

We tried the egg with Duke's food.. I tried it raw.. he loved it.. gobbled it right down.. but it was not so good later on when we went to potty.. might have been because he never had it b4.. but he had awful runs.. I tried it cooked.. and he won't go near it now.. NO WAY he says.. never again.. wonder if he knows what caused the runs..

Fish oils are great for the dog coat, eyes & brain too.. Wellness brand dog food has Salmon in it!! There is even a whitefish version of the food.. Duke's still on the puppy version.. so we haven't tried it.. But I wouldn't say he has fishy breath. I give them a greenie dog treat once in a while.. it's in the shape of a toothbrush.. they love chewing on those..
-- Greetings from, Heather, Duke & Minnie !!
"Learning for all animals is a lifetime commitment. Just as education for humans does not end with a high school diploma or a college degree, so the graduation certificate after eight weeks of training class does not end Flash's brush with scholarship. Dogs learn constantly, but they may not be learning the things you planned to teach."
Norma Bennett Woolf --from a Dog Trainer's Guide

#12 Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Interests:Anything aviation and dog training.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Olive Oil is also great for a dogs skin. Add 1/2 teaspoon per feeding. Extra Virgin is the best. In a few weeks you'll see the difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users