• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brodie

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hi, we've been noticing that Brodie has been licking his paw an aweful lot. We were told by his former foster mom that it's a yeast infection and that lots of dogs from the south (Brodie came from GA) get yeast infections due to the humidity and temp change. Does this sound right to anyone else? Is there anything we can do besides giving a half tablet of Benadryl?

#2 Rileys Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family and walking my dogs with my husband!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

I have never heard about the yeast infection on a paw, but I am sure that it could happen. Riley our older dog gets yeast infections in his ears. We now give him 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with his breakfast every day. He loves it and we have not had one problem with his ears since. This is something that you might want to try. But if it doesn't clear up you might want to take him to the vet to have it checked out. Best of luck!
Marne, Riley and Maggie

#3 Brodie

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Rileys Mom @ Jan 12 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never heard about the yeast infection on a paw, but I am sure that it could happen. Riley our older dog gets yeast infections in his ears. We now give him 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with his breakfast every day. He loves it and we have not had one problem with his ears since. This is something that you might want to try. But if it doesn't clear up you might want to take him to the vet to have it checked out. Best of luck!

Thanks! I was just reading something about yogurt. We have an apointment for his check-up on Wed, and I'll be sure to ask about it then, but in the mean time we'll try some yogurt. Thanks again.

#4 Perry's Mom

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Warm sunny days at the beach, Cooking, Gardening (poor plants-I have a black thumb to go w/my black lab), being with friends & sharing a good meal and a good bottle of wine...

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

Many times paw licking is a sign of food allergy. Usually wheat is the culprit.

#5 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#6 Brodie

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (violent_storm2000 @ Jan 13 2009, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just an update, taking him to the vet tomorrow for his check up and we've been noticing he still licks his paw the most, but has been licking other parts of his body an aweful lot too. And when we are playing he rubs his ear on the floor alot.... Do you still think this could be a food allergy? Or do you think yeast infection?

#7 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

I am no vet, but it sounds liek a food allergy. Talk to the vet, and get his advise. He will probably give you some anti(notgoing to spell it right so I am not going to try), and some other pills, and ask you what you are feeding.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#8 Brodie

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (violent_storm2000 @ Jan 13 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am no vet, but it sounds liek a food allergy. Talk to the vet, and get his advise. He will probably give you some anti(notgoing to spell it right so I am not going to try), and some other pills, and ask you what you are feeding.

So the vet said he has a yeast infection in his ear, but his paw seems to be fine. More than likely a nervous/anxiety related issue. Anyone have a dog that licks (or licked) their paw as a nervous reaction? What did you do to get him to stop? We've tried giving him toys or treats to deter him from doing this but he's not much for toys and treats. At night when we're all going to bed is when it's the worst, we can't exactly play with him or divert his attention until he forgets about it if we're trying to go to bed and have him go to bed....

#9 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Here is a link for ya. http://www.seefido.c...s_paws_exce.htm

Posted Image

#10 Brodie

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

great link, thanks!

#11 susieq8163

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Brodie @ Jan 15 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the vet said he has a yeast infection in his ear, but his paw seems to be fine. More than likely a nervous/anxiety related issue. Anyone have a dog that licks (or licked) their paw as a nervous reaction? What did you do to get him to stop? We've tried giving him toys or treats to deter him from doing this but he's not much for toys and treats. At night when we're all going to bed is when it's the worst, we can't exactly play with him or divert his attention until he forgets about it if we're trying to go to bed and have him go to bed....

trust me it is a allergic reaction to food that has wheat or soy or corn all Purnia and science diet is garbage food signs of food allergies are licking paws, ear infections, scratching also sometimes losing hair. I put my dogdown at 9 years old due to allergies my vet never told me to change my food . food to buy are wellness, solid gold, blue , taste of the wild, evo. yes they cost more but what is more important your money or your dogs life. do yourself a favor go google dogfood allergies and read what itsays

#12 Brodie

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (susieq8163 @ Feb 15 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
trust me it is a allergic reaction to food that has wheat or soy or corn all Purnia and science diet is garbage food signs of food allergies are licking paws, ear infections, scratching also sometimes losing hair. I put my dogdown at 9 years old due to allergies my vet never told me to change my food . food to buy are wellness, solid gold, blue , taste of the wild, evo. yes they cost more but what is more important your money or your dogs life. do yourself a favor go google dogfood allergies and read what itsays

thanks, but we actually figured out what his problem was, about two weeks ago, his nail broke and a few small peices broke off. The vet said his nails were a little brittle, but we took him to the vet the other day for the rest of his shots and they said that his nails look a lot better. We think the nail was cracked and bothering him causing him to lick it alot. Since it broke he hasn't licked it once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users