• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scottjuk2002

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

My 9 month old pup's back legs go from under him after 15 mins of exercise. It's like they can't support him, he's not a fat pup infact he's very lean with noticable muscles. We regularly give him dog milk with added Glucosamine for his joints!
I've had him checked at the vet but she claimed he was fine. This happens almost every time he's out on a long walk!!

Any help would be greatfully received!!

#2 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Is he trying to continue to exercise, or are you making him continue?

What does he do after they go out from under him and you let him stop?

Is it a slow walk, fast? You know what I mean.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#3 scottjuk2002

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (violent_storm2000 @ Jan 5 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is he trying to continue to exercise, or are you making him continue?

What does he do after they go out from under him and you let him stop?

Is it a slow walk, fast? You know what I mean.

He continues on his own accord for about 40 mins then lies down and we need to encourage him home. He doesn't yelp or appear to be in pain with it.

When his legs go, it's for a minute then he appears ok for a few minutes then it happens again.

We take him to the field near our house and it's at his pace as he's off the leash.

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

I would have to actually watch the pup in person to say more, but it does not sound right. I would suggest taking him in for a second opinion with a different vet.

What tests did your vet run?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

#5 scottjuk2002

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

No tests, just checked him over and his weight, then gave him some injections!!!

I'm going to get him checked again by another vet in the surgery.

#6 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:04 AM

Ok good. Some problems can not be found by checking him over. But testing for problems can get pricy. Ya have to weigh the cost vs the problem ya know.

Posted Image

#7 scottjuk2002

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

Just to let you know, we had Google checked yesterday by a different vet and it appears that both his back leg knee caps need an operation to fix them, they are also going to x-ray his hips to find out if they need surgery too. She also took blood from him to check for anything else that's not "mechanical" we get the results tomorrow.
We just need to find the 2,000 to pay for his ops, as it looks like our More-than policy may not cover it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users