• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 f1dotcom

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

Could anyone share with me (and other members here) an Age vs Weight Chart for Labs?

I mean, how much should a Lab weigh (ideally) at 2 months, 4 months, 8 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc.... etc....

Thanks in advance

#2 cacho_ponce

Puppy Black Lab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

There is no such a thing and let me tell you why.
You can't expect the same rate of growth from each dog, there are many factors involved in their development.
The thing is that a Labrador Retriever should have this characterestics when fully grown.

Size, Proportion and Substance
Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22 to 24 inches; for a bitch is 21 to 23 inches. Any variance greater than inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

American Kennel Club
click on

Your dog could reach its mature hight at 7 months to 1 year, and they they "fill" and finish development of bones at almost 2 years or less.

#3 f1dotcom

Senior Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

cacho_ponce: Thanks for the information. However, I assume that these are the standards according to the American Kennel Club.

From what I have heard and read, Labs are primarily of two different Bloodlines.... British and American.

Labs with American Bloodlines tend to grow taller and are usually leaner
Labs with British Bloodlines tend to grow slightly shorter and stouter.

Ofcourse, I could be wrong...... Could anyone throw more light on this?

#4 violent_storm2000

Big Black Lab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

Pretty much.

They do have sizing charts out there, but they are not really always accurate. So I tend to go off of the below picture.

Now this is not how a pup should look. It is not unusual for them to look fat as young pups.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users